Dahua PTZ Stuttering in Live View and Playback

camb989

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 9 cameras continuously recording onto a 16 channel 4K Dahua NVR. 2 of the cameras are PTZ's. For some reason both PTZ's are always stuttering...meaning they always skip frames. Even on NVR playback that happens. Othertimes the playback is superslow as if a person is just inching along to move a cm. All 9 cameras are recording onto a western digital purple drive. There are 2 of them in the NVR, but I have not specified groupings. None of the other cameras have this issue.

Could the problem be too many cameras continously recording onto the same drive such that I should implement groupings?

Thanks!

Euly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey Camb989, someone else will have to speak to your question about the number of cameras, but my immediate thought on your PTZs is the settings. If your framerate is set too high, you could be taxing the camera's processor, which can contribute to stuttering. Also, check the PTZs for their events (such as IVS/motion) being too sensitive, possibly spamming the alarm.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
make and model number of cameras.
Screen shot of the camera configuration, framerate iframe, codex.......

camb989

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. What should fps and bitrate be for PTZ's?

Both PTZ's are Dahua SD22204UE-GN.

Here are camera settings. I believe they were default.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 2.14.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-12 at 2.14.08 PM.png

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
try setting the frame rate and I frame to 15FPS . You are not shooting a Hollywood movie.

Does the NVR use the substream if not turn it off.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
What I would try to do: go into the webinterface of your camera itself (under Camera's - registration - IE icon and poof login): go into live view: does that stutter too?

+1 on @SouthernYankee : fps of 30 is way over the top, especially with an iFrame of 60. Do the same on the substream.

Happy Camming!
CC

camb989

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. I don't see the registration, but will take another look. There is no stuttering when I login to the camera directly. Also the PTZ controls are as responsive as expected while on the camera web interface (viewing on desktop over wifi). When I use the ptz settings on smartpss or idmss there is a severe lag in responsiveness.

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Try increasing the bit rate. Just a guess
I have the 'Dahua DH-IPC-HFW2831T-ZAS-S2'purchased from Andy and did set fps to 15 and iFrame to 15 and issue still persist where laggy/freeze but it doesn't freeze in fluent view only in HD view. Settings screenshot below. Have also tried doing factory default reset two times and different ethernet cable. When i say freeze, i mean the live footage will be playing fine for a few second and then freezes and then unfreezes but when it unfreeze the time is like 19 seconds ahead.

Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 12.53.54 PM.png

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I wouldn't revive such an old (+ 2 years) thread for this but rather start your own.

When will the video freeze? When logged in directly to the cams GUI with a browser or also with other programs like SmartPSS or DMSS?
What do you use to view the footage?