Dahua SD1A203T-GN

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just picked up a bv tech 9 port gig switch today off ebay. Looks like I have everything needed to get things hooked up.this is a pic taken close to the corner where I'm thinking of hooking up the turret and a pic of the corner itself. Going to try to ceiling mount. Hopefully this brings me a bit of comfort knowing that at least the front door is being monitored. More cans to come once things are up. Would you guys reccomend BI or milestone essentials for monitoring 2-3 cams for the moment?

Attachments

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd go with BI -- from all of the folks on the forum here running it, there's a ton of knowledge if you have any questions.

Also, unless you're 100% sure of your mounting locations, rig up a temp mount so you can run the camera in the location for a few days and see how it does.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd go with BI -- from all of the folks on the forum here running it, there's a ton of knowledge if you have any questions.

Also, unless you're 100% sure of your mounting locations, rig up a temp mount so you can run the camera in the location for a few days and see how it does.
2x4, 5gal bucket, rocks or sand.

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations guys! I will try a temp setup before permanent mounting it. Not really all to sure what I'm looking for with a temp setup as I don't have much of an eye for what I'm looking to improve on as I've never done this before. Would anyone here be able to help with recommendations on placement if I was to capture a picture once setup? I'm hoping to be able to get front door l, walkway l, and possibly anyone who would try getting into my garage door

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You want to know who did it, not just what happened. So you want to be able to ID faces.
Don't mount higher than 8ft, don't try to cover too much with one cam.
Read the wiki at the top of the page, and get comfortable with this: IPVM Camera Calculator V3 keep PPF>100.

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks looney,
So would a minidome setup like tangent posted above be better to the side of the front door rather than the 5231r mounted to the porch ceiling at about 9'? There are no porch lights on at night. The only lights that are on at night are the ones mounted on each side of the garage door.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks looney,
So would a minidome setup like tangent posted above be better to the side of the front door rather than the 5231r mounted to the porch ceiling at about 9'? There are no porch lights on at night. The only lights that are on at night are the ones mounted on each side of the garage door.
Yes, but I realize it involves WAF.
But it's hard to beat a cam mounted next to the door at 5ft when concerned with face id.

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Looney,
I took a look back through the Wiki and I can't find what WAF refers to in this context. I did see that the 5231R mounted on the ceiling would give me a nice overview of the porch and walkway. I'm hoping that since it is a varifocal I can adjust the cam for best results(during temp setup) and eventually use a wireless doorbell(one listed in Wiki) to get that ID shot or a minidome down the road. My main goal is to get a cam over the door and 1-2 over the driveway on the vehicles.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just picked up a bv tech 9 port gig switch today off ebay. Looks like I have everything needed to get things hooked up.this is a pic taken close to the corner where I'm thinking of hooking up the turret and a pic of the corner itself. Going to try to ceiling mount. Hopefully this brings me a bit of comfort knowing that at least the front door is being monitored. More cans to come once things are up. Would you guys reccomend BI or milestone essentials for monitoring 2-3 cams for the moment?
If you put a turret to the left of your porch, I'd mount to the beam or the wall and not the ceiling (might require a junction box). I think getting it just a little lower will help.
upload_2018-4-7_12-32-22.png

I'd also be tempted try a starlight turret in this vicinity on the wall.
upload_2018-4-7_12-36-28.png

Last edited:

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The issue with mounting it to the beam is that I have knowhere to fish it to since I can't get to the wall from there. I'm thinking either a ceiling mount or just to the house wall right below the beam. I think a turret might be a bit too big for the wall to the left of the door although I'll see once the cam gets here!

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If I mount on the wall is a junction box recommended? If so any special one that works best with this cam?

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here's a better pic of walking up the sidewalk to the door for a better idea of being on that wall

Attachments

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5231R is a little bigger than a standard 4", round, electrical box. Dahua has boxes specifically for the 5231 series. It's a shame you didn't get some CAT cables in before the house was finished, that would have made all of this so easy.

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The 5231R is a little bigger than a standard 4", round, electrical box. Dahua has boxes specifically for the 5231 series. It's a shame you didn't get some CAT cables in before the house was finished, that would have made all of this so easy.
Agreed. Didn't think about it at that time though. Hopefully wont ge too bad. Is a junction box recomended if mounting on the siding?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
You will need a "siding wedge" or "pillow" to translate the irregular surface of the siding into a flat surface for mounting the camera. If I remember correctly there are links to them in the Wiki, available at Home Despot for one. You've probably seen them used for coach lights next to doors, for example. A box isn't necessarily needed IF there is enough room behind the mounting surface for the RJ45 connectors. The "pillow" can give you enough room, probably. You will need a 3/4" hole to accommodate the RJ45 connector unless you terminate the CAT after getting it routed.

If you're mounting to a soffit you can get away without any holes in the house by mounting the camera to a strip of 1-1/2 or 2" aluminum flat stock from the flashing, where the soffit tucks in, to the house where, again, the soffit tucks in. Getting a piece of soffit out can be a little tough, but it can be done fairly easily and that allows routing wiring without any holes.

In terms of mounting location and position, you're probably better off experimenting with temporary mounting to get the exact angle you want and the WAF. If you play with positioning for soffit mounting that flat stock trick works pretty well and can be moved very easily.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will need a "siding wedge" or "pillow" to translate the irregular surface of the siding into a flat surface for mounting the camera. If I remember correctly there are links to them in the Wiki, available at Home Despot for one. You've probably seen them used for coach lights next to doors, for example. A box isn't necessarily needed IF there is enough room behind the mounting surface for the RJ45 connectors. The "pillow" can give you enough room, probably. You will need a 3/4" hole to accommodate the RJ45 connector unless you terminate the CAT after getting it routed.
The term you're looking for is siding mounting block. There are many to choose from. Here's a link to one company that makes quite a few: Arlington | Siding Mounting Blocks

SD002

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Rather than start a new thread any try to explain the details, I'll post back here unless it's not allowed. I've got blue iris running on a dedicated pc and a single turret mounted at the location tangent had said he'd try out. I have not messed with cam adjustments, but here's a screenshot of that location. What's everyone think? I am 5'11 for refference

Attachments