Dahua SD2A500HB-GN-A-PV-S2 users cannot access substream

Perplexer

n3wb
Reaction score
I have seveal different Dahua cameras in my home and I just bought the SD2A500HB-GN-A-PV-S2 model to set it up. I'm accessing substreams on all my cameras but when setting up this new one I noticed that I keep getting this error in the browser:

Error
{"result":false,"error":{"code":285278249,"message":"Authority:check failure."},"id":53,"session":2444454334}

An error like this usually appears if the user does not have the correct permissions. While "Live" and "Playback" were enough to open a MJPEG substream on Dahua IPC-HFW1435S-W-S2, I found out that a user on a later model Dahua IPC-HFW2441T-ZS in addition also requires the "AV parameter" to be able to access substream,

I made sure to add this permission for the account when setting up SD2A500HB-GN-A-PV-S2 as well, but it didn't help. I then gave the user ALL permissions, but still kept getting that error. I then deleted the user and recreated it again and made it admin (in admin group), but still got the same error. The only user that is able to open the MJPEG substream is the built-in "admin" user, even though it has exactly the same permissions as the manually added user.

The URLs I use for this (first one works, second one doesn't; they are both admins):

Did anyone encounter something like this before? It seems to be a firmware bug or something on this particular camera. There doesn't seem to be any updates for it. Is there anything that can be done, or should I return it?

Device Type
DH-SD2A500HB-GN-A-PV-0400-S2

System Version
V2.811.0000013.0.R, Build Date: 2023-12-20

WEB Version
V3.2.1.1712428

ONVIF Version
22.12(V2.0.1.0)

Security Baseline Version
V2.2

Copyright 2023, all rights reserved.

Last edited:

Perplexer

n3wb
Reaction score
I have since discovered that this camera has other issues as well. It does not automatically switch illuminator modes based on Day/Night cycles. This is an obvious major firmware bug in these models. This camera really turned out to be pretty much unusable. :(

Last edited:

Perplexer

n3wb
Reaction score
I returned that camera and got another very similar model SD2A500NB-GNY-A-PV. This one is listed on Dahua's website as a "WizSense" model (the "SD2A500HB-GN-A-PV-S2" model was listed under the "Lite" series). The cameras are identical from the outside with only a few different features. This new SD2A500NB-GNY-A-PV model has a newer firmware and does not have the user permission issues when trying to view substream. However it has the same illuminator and Day & Night profile issues. Both cameras simply won't obey if you set "Day" to "Color" and "Night" to "B/W" for example. As soon as you exit the settings, the Night profile will jump out from B/W and into Color mode. And there are other problems with profile settings.

It seems the whole series of these cameras (SD2* ?) have a faulty firmware. I can't believe they are being sold all over like that with Dahua not fixing this.

Is there any way I can get somebody from Dahua to take a bug report and actually consider it? The distributor that I returned the previous camera to, said "We will report your complaint to the manufacturer and let you know of the result". They never got back to me. I had to call again 10 days later myself and they told me just to bring the camera back. I'm guessing they never heard back from Dahua.

How does one report such an obvious firmware issue on a whole range of different cameras? It's really frustrating. Is there anybody here who has a contact to Dahua that can actually get somebody to look into it?

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Quite often the problems your describing are unfortunately down to user errors, in setting up the camera correctly. I'm guessing that the profile settings within the image settings menu is not setup to make the camera work as you wish.

Perplexer

n3wb
Reaction score
It's not a user error in this case. It's a pretty straight forward case. The firmware is buggy and camera's illuminator / Day & Night switch won't work correctly. I have three other Dahua cameras with no issues. But this SD2 series (at least the two models I have tested now) seem to have this problem, rendering them unusable in certain scenarios. Otherwise cute cams though. It really is a pity.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua only caters to their authorized dealers and will tell any of us to go pound salt. We simply are not their intended market. You would have to go back to the seller, but if they are just a 3rd party reseller, they have little clout either.

Have your tried Internet Explorer. Yeah we know LOL, but it is still available and is baked into Win11.

We have seen the PTZs seem to work best with Internet Explorer.

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not an expert as others are on this forum, but I understand on some cameras you have to setup day for colour and BW for night via the General profile initially. Have you tried that?

Perplexer

n3wb
Reaction score
wittaj, yes, I use the IE mode with the plugin in my browser. That's not important though cause the issue lies in the camera's firmware itself so it doesn't matter if I access its web interface via IE or a modern browser without the plugin. Settings will look and work the same.

paul@austins.tv, the built in profiles are there for the user to configure and use as he/she wants. Of course a static "alwas-day" or "always-night" or "General" type of a setup will work. It just won't work if you want to configure the camera in a certain way that suits you (or me in my use case). Actually I'm past "What's wrong with the camera?" at this moment. I already know the fault lies in a broken / buggy firmware and I as a user can't do anything to fix this. I'm now just trying to see if there is any way to get this to Dahua and have someone there fix it. But I guess not, like wittaj said. Dahua doesn't care. I've also read the same on other forums. Sad. Well, they can have mine back then and maybe sell it to some other sucker who won't care about it being crippled.:)

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh dear, oh dear!
I'm sure if you can post some screenshots of your setup for image/profile settings. And your exact reason for your requirements. Hopefully some assistance can be provided. Please don't return a camera without thoroughly checking any possible mistakes on the initial settings.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well he doesn't believe us that it can be browser dependent and said he used IE Mode, which suggest to me it was EDGE in IE Mode and not actual Internet Explorer, so....

And I have a variation of the camera and it works fine (but I use the utility below to force day/night based on sunrise/sunset)...

But it is from the budget line, so don't expect much.

Up until recently the day/night feature never worked properly on their cameras, thus the reason a member here wrote this utility:

You need a camera with the new GUI (white blue) as that firmware actually has the day/night work as expected.

Perplexer

n3wb
Reaction score
I am using Maxthon with Retro mode. I didn't mention that because there's a chance you don't know it and can't comment on it, and because it doesn't matter. I also used IE. It does not matter. It is not a browser related issue.

SD2A500-GN-A-PV seems to be a predecessor to the one I got (which has the -S2 at the end). I was wondering if that one had the same issue but couldn't get a hold of one.

If you are willing to test it and report back, you can do this:

1. Wait until night time so that the Night profile will be active
2. Go go Settings -> Camera -> Conditions -> Profile Management
3. Select Schedule and set the daytime for example from 6:00 till 20:00, and Save
4. Go to the Conditions tab
5. Select the "Day" profile and set "Day & Night" mode to Color and "Illuminator" to "IR mode"+"Off" and Save
6. Select the "Night" profile and set "Day & Night" mode to B/W and "Illuminator" to "IR mode"+"Manual"+"50" and Save
7. Now exit Settings by clicking on the Live tab (or click the Profile Management tab). Camera will jump out of the B/W mode that you just set and saved and will display color video even though it is night and Night profile is active.

Not sure if all settings are named like that but they are probably close enough. If your camera stays in B/W mode when you switch to Live view then that one doesn't have the bug.

Another thing you can try, if that model has a "warning light" icon (lightbulb) in the camera's Live web interface:
If the camera is in Night mode with IR illuminator ON, press the lightbulb icon to trigger a few light warning flashes.
That action will turn off the IR illuminator which will not come back on by itself when the warning flashes cease. At least it doesn't on my camera.

If I set the Day and Night profile's "Day & Night" mode to Auto and illuminator to IR OFF for Day and IR ON (manual) for Night, the illuminator will not immediately turn on when I select it. I will need to switch to Day and then back to Night and then "nudge" it (click + or - on the Brightness slider) for it to turn on.

It seems to be a firmware bug when modifying the Night profile. Perhaps even the Day profile. It is very complex and its behavior is very erratic. I have spent more days on this than anyone would be willing to and still don't have all the combinations of settings causing flaws memorized.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's a lot to try, so give me some time and report back.

Before I do - is your GUI the black/orange/grey or the blue/white?

Perplexer

n3wb
Reaction score
Here's an 8 minute video I just made demonstrating the issues. You can try to emulate that and see if you have the same on your SD2 series camera.
Note that the previous camera that I started the original post in this thread with (which I already returned) also had the CGI substream permissions bug in addition to the Day/Night/Illuminator bugs.

If someone sends it to a Dahua tech, even better.

Last edited: