Dahua SD5A225XA reboot mark: abort

oh6hfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My client has several of DH-SD5A225XA-HNR 25x AI PTZ domes and some of them seem to have occasional reboots. In the log there is reboot mark: abort.

This can happen right after IVS has been triggered and tracking has been started, but also when there is no events triggered (nothing moving in the image).

Camera has Dahua 128GB SD card in, cotinuous record on and IVS record also when triggered. Power source is PoE switch.

I haven't seen the physical installation but in one camera the problem stopped when the camera was moved to different place and another cable was used. It turned out that the cable was too
thin (27AWG) and probably Poe voltage dropped too much. After that he has used various cables and some time this problem has been away for long time, but then it just appears again.
I have suggested to test +24VAC directly, but client wants to use PoE.

I have also asked directly from Dahua, they told to update firmware and do factory reset. Well, that has been done.

Anyone else has these symptoms with these SD5A***XA-HNR PTZs?

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Most likely Power Supply Issues on reboots, I would do another factory rest ( FULL RESET ) putting the camera back to factory with an IP of 192.168.1.108 I would also remove the Micro SD card for test when you install a new power supply.
What is the model of the POE switch you have now.

How long is the cable run?

I use this Switch over past 12 months or so without any problems whatsoever Tenda PoE Switch 6-Port/100M Ethernet Network Switch,Hub,4 PoE Ports up to 30 W for each PoE Port and 67 W for all PoE Ports,Plug and Play: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Your new power supply needs to meet the standards below.
Power SupplyAC24V/3A±25%
POE+
Power Consumption8W
20W (IR light on)

Last edited:

oh6hfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
He has two switch models he has tested. First is Milesight MS-S0208-EL. With this switch there is frequent reboots, I should say clearly more frequent than with Dahua PFL2106-4ET-96.
When he changed the switch to Dahua PFL2106-4ET-96 and plugged in port 4 (>60W), camera still has reboots, but not so frequent anymore. Maybe one per day or two days. So it seems to be that it is related to PoE.
Cable run is 30m.

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Moi!

I agree with the low power idea above. I have the exact same problem with my SD5A425 and I know it's power related.
The reboots are often when the camera is autotracking something and it moves and zoomes at the same time, especially with IR on.

Another solution is of course to install the supplied power supply, this is what I will do - any day now ;-)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like a power issue, but could also be these little CPUs sometimes seem to struggle when the SD Card gets full and cannot figure out what to overwrite. I suggest setting up a schedule in the camera to delete files older than X days (sometime within how long it takes for your card to fill). Or the SD Card is getting close to failure.

Many people do not seem to have problems with SD cards and Dahua cams while some of us do, but several of mine go crazy when the SD card gets full and reboots, loses signal, etc. Reformatting the card fixes it or setting up the schedule fixes it for me.

Last edited:

oh6hfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Moi!

I agree with the low power idea above. I have the exact same problem with my SD5A425 and I know it's power related.
The reboots are often when the camera is autotracking something and it moves and zoomes at the same time, especially with IR on.

Another solution is of course to install the supplied power supply, this is what I will do - any day now ;-)
I have suggested him to install AC24V power supply to eliminate the PoE-problem. Further using of AC24V is not an option because in this case it should be installed outside enclosure and here it could be
-30c during winter, and those power supplies are specified only for indoor use/temperatures.

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have suggested him to install AC24V power supply to eliminate the PoE-problem. Further using of AC24V is not an option because in this case it should be installed outside enclosure and here it could be
-30c during winter, and those power supplies are specified only for indoor use/temperatures.
Ok, but have you tested to have it outside?
I've had one out during this winter and it survived, not a Finnish winter but still a Swedish :)
These things produce their own heat so in a somewhat ventilated enclosure it should be allright.

oh6hfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, but have you tested to have it outside?
I've had one out during this winter and it survived, not a Finnish winter but still a Swedish :)
These things produce their own heat so in a somewhat ventilated enclosure it should be allright.
I know they work outside, I have installed two myself in outdoor enclosures and they have worked fine over 5 years. However, my client wants to do his installations by the book so if something fails
nobody can say those power supplies are only for indoors.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cabling can easily be the problem.
AWG 27 ethernet cable shouldn't be used for anything related to a network...Ever.
he needs to confirm that he is using good quality solid copper ethernet cables and NOT Copper Clad Aluminum.
It needs to be solid cable, NOT stranded.
It needs to be properly terminated with the 568B standard with good quality RJ45's.
Outdoor connections to be properly water proofed: WaterProofing Connections
If he is regularly installing PTZ's, I would recommend Cat 6 23AWG cable....size matters.
Good quality POE+ switches, don't cheap out on the poe switches.
When possible, run the cable directly from the camera to the Poe+ switch, avoid patch panels and keystone jacks.

oh6hfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like a power issue, but could also be these little CPUs sometimes seem to struggle when the SD Card gets full and cannot figure out what to overwrite. I suggest setting up a schedule in the camera to delete files older than X days (sometime within how long it takes for your card to fill). Or the SD Card is getting close to failure.
Many people do not seem to have problems with SD cards and Dahua cams while some of us do, but several of mine go crazy when the SD card gets full and reboots, loses signal, etc. Reformatting the card fixes it or setting up the schedule fixes it for me.
Yes, I have noticed that Dahua + sd-cards are not reliable combo. What does that "auto delete old files" actually mean? Is it wiping also the recordings or just some temp files inside camera that user even does not see? I see no schedule for
auto delete, only enable or disable. Or does it go together with reboot schedule?

oh6hfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cabling can easily be the problem.
AWG 27 ethernet cable shouldn't be used for anything related to a network...Ever.
Good quality POE+ switches, don't cheap out on the poe switches.
When possible, run the cable directly from the camera to the Poe+ switch, avoid patch panels and keystone jacks.
I couldn't have imagined that there even is AWG27 cable sold, but that seems to be the case.
Now there is Dahua PFL2106-4ET-96 and 60W orange port used to supply. Reboots are almost gone. Directly from switch to camera. I'm probably going there this week to see the cabling with my own eyes.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I have noticed that Dahua + sd-cards are not reliable combo. What does that "auto delete old files" actually mean? Is it wiping also the recordings or just some temp files inside camera that user even does not see? I see no schedule for
auto delete, only enable or disable. Or does it go together with reboot schedule?
I always use Samsung Evo Plus cards, and not had any problems yet. Two cams have been using that card for over 3 yrs, without issue.
You have to be careful as there are LOTS of fake SD cards in the market.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I couldn't have imagined that there even is AWG27 cable sold, but that seems to be the case.
Now there is Dahua PFL2106-4ET-96 and 60W orange port used to supply. Reboots are almost gone. Directly from switch to camera. I'm probably going there this week to see the cabling with my own eyes.
If you enable auto delete, then a box opens up to tell it how many days to save, or something to that effect.

I do not have this particular camera, but all of my Dahua cams have that feature. So I look at the playback calendar and see how many days it stores when full, and then depending on the camera I set that days to 50% to 75% of that. So if I get 7 days of storage until the card is full, I tell it to delete files after say 5 days so that I have a buffer of free space.

We do this on our computers for BI and recording purposes with the drive, so this really should be no different. Leave some free space for the camera to record and delete.

oh6hfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you enable auto delete, then a box opens up to tell it how many days to save, or something to that effect.
I do not have this particular camera, but all of my Dahua cams have that feature. So I look at the playback calendar and see how many days it stores when full, and then depending on the camera I set that days to 50% to 75% of that. So if I get 7 days of storage until the card is full, I tell it to delete files after say 5 days so that I have a buffer of free space.
We do this on our computers for BI and recording purposes with the drive, so this really should be no different. Leave some free space for the camera to record and delete.
Ah, there it is! Also "days ago" in this camera when I click enable. What are these "old files" actually? Videos and snapshots on the card?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, there it is! Also "days ago" in this camera when I click enable. What are these "old files" actually? Videos and snapshots on the card?
The old files are the oldest video and snapshots. Basically this option is allowing you to manually clear space on the SD card instead of letting it get full and having the camera decide how to delete and record at the same time with a full SD card.

oh6hfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The old files are the oldest video and snapshots. Basically this option is allowing you to manually clear space on the SD card instead of letting it get full and having the camera decide how to delete and record at the same time with a full SD card.
Thanks Wittaj, every day learning something new. Dahuas manual does not tell this. I will try it when threre are struggles again..

oh6hfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update in the thread. I bought myself also one SD5A225XA to test if I can get the reboot mark: abort - problem repeated. Shortly: I can repeat the error message, and it seems to be related in PoE.

Longer explanation:

Zyxel POE12-HP injector, 20-25m AWG23 ethernet cable, Both RJ45 connectors have been replaced. Newest FW and MCU FW. Camera is added also in an old NVR4116H NVR. Dahua 64GB SD card and recording
continuous record + IVS on the card. Auto maintain deletes files older than 2 days.

It seems that these reboots happen when camera starts to track object. Sometimes this can last only 1-2 seconds, sometimes 10-20 seconds. Then camera reboots. This happens just sometimes, not
every time camera starts to track, but 1-5 times a day.

First I had Zyxel POE12-HP injector. With that the error message was almost always reboot mark: power off. Only once I got reboot mark: abort.

Then I put 24V power supply and removed PoE injector. For a week, no reboots at all. Everything works perfect.

Next I got Dahua 30W PoE-injector from dealer. In start looks promising, a day without reboots. But next day, reboots start again, and this time it is always reboot mark: abort. Otherwise the behaviour is just the same;
camera starts to track and after a while it reboots.

So far tested:

1) 24V power supply - success
2) Zyxel POE12HP-injector - mostly reboot: power off error message
3) Dahua 30W PoE-injector - reboot: abort error message
4) turned off all sd-card recording - no success
5) replaced ethernet cable connectors in both ends - no success

Next I am testing to turn off alarm out in IVS settings. They seem to be on by default. Also I need to test another cable.

Last edited:

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a Faulty POE in the camera, time for a RMA back to your dealer. Just hope you don't have to send back to China as that would become uneconomical.

oh6hfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ljw2k, that's what I thought also, but as my client has several of these cameras and those with longer ethernet cables have same symptoms, I think it must be a fault of camera model.