Dahua setup upgrade

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I had my setup since 2017:
dahua-nvr-5216-16p-4ks2
a bunch of IPC-HDW5231R-Z starlight cameras

Most of the camera positions are static - not much is happening. But I would like to replace the one on the front with something with more smarts. Maybe something like TiOC, so that it flash the lights, sound the alarm etc when it detects someone coming towards the house in the predefined hours.
What is the consensus on the image quality and AI? Will it work with my NVR or I would have to replace it if I wanted to control camera features direct through NVR? What is the new app - really hate the gDMSS

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, can work with the NVR no problem. Tioc camrea the nightvision is not as good as the HDW5231R-Z, think twice before you replace it.
If has good light there, can use the tioc model 4mp.
DMSS is the new APP.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 on the TiOC needing light - it fits a nice niche and for the price, the lights, siren and two-way talk offer a nice deterrent to let someone know that they are being watched and is certainly worth the price for those features, but unless you have good light, the LED white light on the model is not strong enough for good video capture.

I have one and would certainly consider adding one for the deterrent features alone, but with good light, it is an all-round solid performer.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
plus it's a fixed focal...
thank you! I may get one and move one of the camera elsewhere.
Problem will be with connecting it..
My current NVR has no internet connection apart from NTP and email, so if I get the TiOC I would have to connect it to the internet, bypassing NVR... Can NVR find and manage cameras on a different subnet - ie not something that is directly plugged in to it?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The NVR can only support how ever many cameras it is rated for. So if you have a an 8port NVR for example, the NVR can only support 8 cameras.

This thread can help you if you would be placing it in a location that is difficult to install and connect to the NVR, but it would be all still on the same home network.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
If really want to make a try to upgrade the firmware for the NVR, i can send you some firmware to upgrade. But have risk to brick.