Dahua Smartpss

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My camera setup will consist of 5 Dahua cameras.

I noticed there is a software for Windows called Smartpss, which I assume works only with Dahua cameras. Is that correct?

Is this software any good or can't it be compared to Blue iris or alike? I have no need for fancy functions, I have an advanced security system installed for that purpose, only want to see the cameras on my PC and if possible from remote location

I will use fixes cameras, and will log in remotely by Teamviewer, but there will probably also be a DDNS setting in the cameras that will allow me to log in to the DDNS.

When I look at the Dahua download site, I'm also confused as to which version I should download, can anyone point me to the correct link?

Software

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
smart pss allows you to log into your Dahua NVR remotely or on local ethernet via your computer. It works pretty good but it also doesn't work great. You make a setting change on it and the NVR does not always take it. Playback remotely is much better for me on Blue Iris then it ever was on smart pss.

Not sure it will work with just Dahua cameras, nayr can prob answer that one. He is the Dahua expert around here.

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
smart pss allows you to log into your Dahua NVR remotely or on local ethernet via your computer. It works pretty good but it also doesn't work great. You make a setting change on it and the NVR does not always take it. Playback remotely is much better for me on Blue Iris then it ever was on smart pss.

Not sure it will work with just Dahua cameras, nayr can prob answer that one. He is the Dahua expert around here.
Thanks for the reply.

I have no intention on connecting a NVR, but if i understand correctly Smartpss has a PC recording function built in, or is that a separate software.

Actually I will not be recoding much, since alarm will be a hassle in my situation because of too many large plants in the view of the camera, and since the cameras are all sd card enabled i intend to set them to continuous recording.

Can I with the Smartpss check the recordings on the sd card?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have an ONVIF Hosafe camera that I'm able to view with SmartPSS.

I have SmartPSS linked to my Dahua NVR thou... I cant recall specifically if i could view the Hosafe stream or recordings by connecting SmartPSS directly to the Hosafe or not now that i think about it....

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
You can check sd card recordings with smart PSS. Personally I still prefer the legacy software, PSS. But on newer computers it's all over for that software. I don't get into recording to the local pc within these softwares but it can be done manually, I know. Scheduled, I don't know. It's dahua software and only compatible with dahua gear.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What are your specs on your PC that you chose to use software on your PC to record your cameras? Honestly, for me, a Linux based NVR is so cheap these days, I would prefer an NVR and let my PC log into it remotely. I hate relying on windows to run 24/7 recording my cameras. Smart PSS will work with other cameras, but for the most part, Dahua will be the originator of that camera. QSEE, Amcrest, and a few others all work on smart PSS.

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are your specs on your PC that you chose to use software on your PC to record your cameras? Honestly, for me, a Linux based NVR is so cheap these days, I would prefer an NVR and let my PC log into it remotely. I hate relying on windows to run 24/7 recording my cameras. Smart PSS will work with other cameras, but for the most part, Dahua will be the originator of that camera. QSEE, Amcrest, and a few others all work on smart PSS.
On your suggestion I looked in the NVR listings, and it is indeed inexpensive.

I found a 8Ch Dahua NVR on Ebay, but what I don't understand is that it has only 1 rj-45 port, so how do you connect 8 ip cameras?

8-CH Compact 1U Lite Network Video Recorder NVR DAHUA NVR2108HS-S2 | eBay

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You plug that port into the Poe switch where your cameras are plugged into or into ur router. As long as the nvr is on ur network and the cameras.

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You plug that port into the Poe switch where your cameras are plugged into or into ur router. As long as the nvr is on ur network and the cameras.
Ooops, and I can't even blame it on not having had my morning coffee yet, since it's almost midnight here :embarrassed:

By the way, would the one I linked to do the job, for basic needs?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Keep in mind that doesn't include a hard drive.
I understand but at $40 for a 1Tb drive I guess I can manage.

I was considering purchasing my cameras with sd card slot, so the money I save on 5 sd cards and on the cameras without card slot, will more than pay for the NVR and HDD.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys
I am playing with SmartPSS, and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to do playback of all channels at once =(
I can click on the camera and play it, but how do I synchronize the playback from all? Like I have one camera with IVS event triggered, and I want to see the view from another camera at the same time that may show me more

PS: And, as always, after posting this, I figured it out - its a small button next to rewind, but its only activated once you start the playback from any camera

Last edited:

Pantheon

n3wb
Reaction score
SmartPSS on PC Windows 10. I cannot seem to get the windows in SmartPSS to expand. There does not seem to be any way to "drag" the windows bigger. Any suggestions?

2020-12-16_7-26-56.jpg

generalinq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just tried expanding it on MAC and Windows, doesn't work for me. Small bug in the software I guess.