Dahua Starlight Fixed Lens Turret (IPC-HDW4231EM-AS)

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 3.6mm will be for more of an overview of back yard, not for identification. No need for varifocal there.
I'm with you there. I've got 5 varifocals, but after getting two of them zoomed in perfectly, they might as well have been 3.6mm fixed lenses. :)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm with you there. I've got 5 varifocals, but after getting two of them zoomed in perfectly, they might as well have been 3.6mm fixed lenses. :)
may as well, yeah, when it comes to 2mp, you need every pixel you can get, I prefer to be able to fine tune the zoom on my cameras so I'm not wasting pixels on walls and shit lol it's worth the extra 50 bucks if for no other reason than to A, remove the guess work and B, allow you to set the zoom exactly where you want it instead of settling for pretty good. if you're gonna go through the trouble of buying all this stuff and setting it up, why settle for mediocre.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not settling for mediocre or pretty good. If that was the case, I'd have bought a junk system from a warehouse clubI've planned and researched. I'm sure every install is different and if you don't plan and research, yup, go with varifocals all around, especially if $ is no object.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@hmjgriffon

I'm just saying that for folks that have done their homework, being able to fine-tune shots of cameras used in situations like 'backyard overview' may not be worth the extra $55, especially when that money could go towards the other four cameras they need to buy.

To me, it sounds like he did his homework and bought what was best for his situation.

FWIW, here's what the zoom on my backyard overview camera looks like. If I have a future need for another varifocal, I'll probably buy a cheaper 2.8mm fixed lens to replace this varifocal, and move this varifocal to wherever the new need is.

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 1.12.42 PM.png

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
@hmjgriffon

I'm just saying that for folks that have done their homework, being able to fine-tune shots of cameras used in situations like 'backyard overview' may not be worth the extra $55, especially when that money could go towards the other four cameras they need to buy.

To me, it sounds like he did his homework and bought what was best for his situation.

FWIW, here's what the zoom on my backyard overview camera looks like. If I need have a future need for another varifocal, I'll probably buy a cheaper 2.8mm fixed lens to replace this varifocal, and move this varifocal to wherever the new need is.

View attachment 16853
for overview, I agree, but then I was specifically talking about shots where every pixel counts, choke points, where you want the best ID you can, if you get lucky and get it in the shot. For overview, you could use cheap ass analog cameras I suppose it's obviously not as important since your pixel density is going to suck ass anyways. It's just funny cuz we all know, you aint savin any money in this hobby, let's just be honest about that right up front LOL.

slogik

n3wb
Reaction score
I ordered the following:
The 3.6mm will be for more of an overview of back yard, not for identification. No need for varifocal there. I still need 4 or more cameras but I don't want to kicked out of my house (wife) for purchasing $1K worth of cameras in one shot!

So, yes, I've done my homework and determined I do not need all varifocal models, especially at an additional $55 per camera! This is an ongoing project that will likely never be "finished" as it is also becoming a hobby, an expensive one at that!
I also would like to order all the cameras I need in one shot, but it definitely would not go over well with my wife either. It is an expensive hobby. I think a lot of us got into this for one reason or another, a bad experience.

In my case my property was vandalized multiple times, Christmas lights cut, air let out of my tires; I was confident it was my neighbor, but I needed to prove it. Being an IT guy I turned to tech, but the IP cameras were too expensive in 2012 so I went with analog. The first week when we aren't home catch him park on the street to restrict the view, he looks left, looks right and goes right up the middle of my yard and stares into the camera from 6 feet away, sees it and scurrys right out of there. Police give me the option of having him arrested, and anyone new to this learn from my mistake: I said no. These are your neighbors, I don't want to start WWIII here, I just want the bad behavior to stop. They never vandalized my property again, but they continued to escalate. They stood on the street and paced back and forth pretending to shoot into my house when we weren't home. They were holding what looked like a pistol, they claimed it wasn't. My kids were 2 and 4. Police said it wasn't illegal for them to do that and regardless of their actions, haven't offered to take any action since. I have hours of video to show their behavior in case it's ever needed in court. Luckily things have been fairly quiet the last two years; Hopefully it stays as it is right now, but the cameras will be there, just in case... but I digress.

So right after I spend the money on the analog cameras, capture card and add it to my server (which I already had), those first cheap 720p Dahuas came out. I replaced the analog with those (and a rack mount POE injector) and said to my wife "we now have 720p IP cameras, we won't need to upgrade again anytime soon".

Then I had a couple of them fail (I suspect it was because they were rated to only 14 degrees and it gets much colder than that here in winter), and saw the Hiks had come out and were rated to -22 and 1080p, and I liked the turret for two of my locations so I upgraded. I told my wife "we are at 1080p, we won't be upgrading again any time soon".

Then I decided I needed to end all the videos of bugs all night during the summer so I added some external IR.

At some point I began to feel limited by Blue Iris and went to an Enterprise VMS solution.

Then I replaced two of my cameras with one PTZ.

Then as my kids became older I wanted better coverage from when they are outside playing in the street, and I also wanted a camera for LPR, which I will get as soon as Andy get's one of the Z12 cameras in.

This year I'll now have 4k, Starlight or PTZ and a license plate camera all around the property. I want to do some automation like nayr and some of you are, but I don't like the home automation software I've seen. I don't see why I can't just use SaltStack since I'm familiar with it anyway. I'll just throw a Salt master in a Docker container.

So after this spring, I can now, finally, definitely say "We are all set, we won't be upgrading again anytime soon"... Until I see the next post about new cameras and nayr's review. Sigh.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I also would like to order all the cameras I need in one shot, but it definitely would not go over well with my wife either. It is an expensive hobby. I think a lot of us got into this for one reason or another, a bad experience.

In my case my property was vandalized multiple times, Christmas lights cut, air let out of my tires; I was confident it was my neighbor, but I needed to prove it. Being an IT guy I turned to tech, but the IP cameras were too expensive in 2012 so I went with analog. The first week when we aren't home catch him park on the street to restrict the view, he looks left, looks right and goes right up the middle of my yard and stares into the camera from 6 feet away, sees it and scurrys right out of there. Police give me the option of having him arrested, and anyone new to this learn from my mistake: I said no. These are your neighbors, I don't want to start WWIII here, I just want the bad behavior to stop. They never vandalized my property again, but they continued to escalate. They stood on the street and paced back and forth pretending to shoot into my house when we weren't home. They were holding what looked like a pistol, they claimed it wasn't. My kids were 2 and 4. Police said it wasn't illegal for them to do that and regardless of their actions, haven't offered to take any action since. I have hours of video to show their behavior in case it's ever needed in court. Luckily things have been fairly quiet the last two years; Hopefully it stays as it is right now, but the cameras will be there, just in case... but I digress.

So right after I spend the money on the analog cameras, capture card and add it to my server (which I already had), those first cheap 720p Dahuas came out. I replaced the analog with those (and a rack mount POE injector) and said to my wife "we now have 720p IP cameras, we won't need to upgrade again anytime soon".

Then I had a couple of them fail (I suspect it was because they were rated to only 14 degrees and it gets much colder than that here in winter), and saw the Hiks had come out and were rated to -22 and 1080p, and I liked the turret for two of my locations so I upgraded. I told my wife "we are at 1080p, we won't be upgrading again any time soon".

Then I decided I needed to end all the videos of bugs all night during the summer so I added some external IR.

At some point I began to feel limited by Blue Iris and went to an Enterprise VMS solution.

Then I replaced two of my cameras with one PTZ.

Then as my kids became older I wanted better coverage from when they are outside playing in the street, and I also wanted a camera for LPR, which I will get as soon as Andy get's one of the Z12 cameras in.

This year I'll now have 4k, Starlight or PTZ and a license plate camera all around the property. I want to do some automation like nayr and some of you are, but I don't like the home automation software I've seen. I don't see why I can't just use SaltStack since I'm familiar with it anyway. I'll just throw a Salt master in a Docker container.

So after this spring, I can now, finally, definitely say "We are all set, we won't be upgrading again anytime soon"... Until I see the next post about new cameras and nayr's review. Sigh.

Which "Enterprise VMS solution" are you using and how much did it set you back?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@hmjgriffon

FWIW, here's what the zoom on my backyard overview camera looks like. If I have a future need for another varifocal, I'll probably buy a cheaper 2.8mm fixed lens to replace this varifocal, and move this varifocal to wherever the new need is.

View attachment 16853
The thing is this is such a common noobie mistake; unless you put it right next to an entry way this thing at full wide dont have the pixel density to ID anyone at any distance.. Go learn how to use: Camera Calculator / Design Software and keep PPF > 100 for ID capabilities..

Most people buy fixed wide angle cameras; put them up all over the place outside.. then someone comes and steals there shit, and they can watch it on just about every camera they have.. but none of em came close to getting a shot that provides a legal ID.. soo you learn the hard way later that all your wide angle cameras are pretty much worthless and your only option is: go in and start utilizing that zoom, but if you dont have a Varifocal.. then your looking at replacing most of your 3.6mm cameras with 6-12mm cameras.

Wide Angle cameras outside have absolutely terrible ID Capable ranges; your better off having a bunch of blindspots and a few zoomed cameras on choke points and high value targets than having a bunch of wide angles so you can watch grass grow and walls stand.. I suspect that many of you running these Varifocals at wide angle will one day learn the lesson the hard way, and you'll have the option of fixing it instead of buying new cameras with moar zoom.

Not one of my Varifocals is less than 50% zoomed; most are maxed out at 100% wishing they were Z5's with even more room to work with.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I agree, I'm not interested in ID with my two 3.6mm, that's what the varifocals are for. And I did use the calculator and saw the effects of the different lens options (enlightening). NAYR, I respect your reviews and insight, that's what led me to order four starlights, two of which are varifocals, and the desire for a few 6mm starlight fixed. NAYR, thanks for all that you contribute to this forum!

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
The thing is this is such a common noobie mistake; unless you put it right next to an entry way this thing at full wide dont have the pixel density to ID anyone at any distance.. Go learn how to use: Camera Calculator / Design Software and keep PPF > 100 for ID capabilities..

Most people buy fixed wide angle cameras; put them up all over the place outside.. then someone comes and steals there shit, and they can watch it on just about every camera they have.. but none of em came close to getting a shot that provides a legal ID.. soo you learn the hard way later that all your wide angle cameras are pretty much worthless and your only option is: go in and start utilizing that zoom, but if you dont have a Varifocal.. then your looking at replacing most of your 3.6mm cameras with 6-12mm cameras.

Wide Angle cameras outside have absolutely terrible ID Capable ranges; your better off having a bunch of blindspots and a few zoomed cameras on choke points and high value targets than having a bunch of wide angles so you can watch grass grow and walls stand.. I suspect that many of you running these Varifocals at wide angle will one day learn the lesson the hard way, and you'll have the option of fixing it instead of buying new cameras with moar zoom.

Not one of my Varifocals is less than 50% zoomed; most are maxed out at 100% wishing they were Z5's with even more room to work with.

While nayr made some excellent points but I went wide in my backyard for several reasons.

The cost of per camera is one of the reason, with 4 fixed ones in the backyard are giving me whole backyard coverage that there is almost no blind spot to hide from camera. I could see where the perp are all the time if I happen to catch them in the act while monitoring.

Also I have 4 young children so it easier to monitor them while they are playing out in back. I know what my children look like so no need to ID them up close. Most perp today are getting smarter and use hoodie or mask to prevent from being ID'ed by cameras anyway.

I have two varifocal up in front which is aimed at my driveway and other one aim at my front door for ID purpose but with hoodies and mask being so popular around here theses day so I see no point inventing more money for backyard to try ID perp at a distance. The cameras are near the doors that lead out to the backyard and will easily ID perps when they get near to the door.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sure, I get that it's such a common newbie mistake. Where I'm lost is how you thought (based on the replies in this thread) that it was a mistake that I or @just some dude were making. Or that we don't know how to use the IVPM calculator... Christ, if I logged all of the time I spent using that calculator since last fall, I'd guess it'd add up to be two or more workdays.

Most people buy fixed wide angle cameras; put them up all over the place outside..
@just some dude is buying two varifocals and two fixed lens, so it doesn't seem like he's on a track to do that....

but none of em came close to getting a shot that provides a legal ID..
It sounds like your backyard (and how it's best covered) is a bit different from a few others here.

I suspect that many of you running these Varifocals at wide angle will one day learn the lesson the hard way, and you'll have the option of fixing it instead of buying new cameras with moar zoom.
I bought a varifocal that's zoomed out just in case I needed to zoom it in, but my use case for it so far is met by keeping it zoomed out. I use it to keep an eye on the dogs while they're playing. And to know when there's enough poop to scoop. And to see how much water fills up in the swale after a big storm. And to watch the company that fertilizes the stuff to make sure they're really doing everything they say they do. And to watch the new houses being built behind mine. All require an overview shot.

If I do need ID in the back yard at a later date, it will be through an ADDITIONAL camera, so that I could keep the overview shot that I refer to so frequently. :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was just speaking in generic terms; dont take it so personally.. Ive got a wide angle in back yard too, but I also have a varifoal zoomed in on play set because with the wide angle the kids were just a few pixels.. yeah i know who they are, but I like to see what kinda michief they are up too

thomaswde

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I also received a 4231 from Andy this past week. I replaced a Hikvision 2CD2332-I turret with the 4231 (L shaped back patio, so I didn't need the varifocal, 3.6mm is almost perfect). My backyard has motion lights but no external lights from anywhere, completely black other than the IR from the camera. The image from the Hik with the IR off is a completely black picture. The image from the 4231 with the IR off and only moonlight is better overall than with the IR IS enabled on the Hikvision. If you have any older Hikvision turrets, this is a worthy upgrade, IMHO. Of course the mounting is different so if you mounted these directly on the soffit like I did, holes don't line up (3 for the Hik vs 4 on the Dahua) and you are making new ones, which makes me wish I had choose to mount them differently; Perhaps a short depth waterproof box with multiple covers, mount the camera on the cover, new camera, just replace the cover.

I have external IR lighting in the front of the house because I didn't like motion events of bugs flying by the cameras all night and I turned the IR in the cameras off. I was going to add external IR in the back but the 4231 is so good, it's made me reconsider those plans. I'm going to install a higher class PIR sensor and hard wire it to LED floods that cover the back yard from multiple locations. Regular light is more useful than IR when I need to walk back there at night anyways. FYI, when I said the picture of the 4231 with no IR is better than the 2332 turret with IR enabled, it is; very much so. That said, you will need some source of light if you want to get any facial features and want more than someone was back there with a height and weight estimate. If you don't have an alarm or lights and they don't see the camera, they may continue trying to do whatever they came to do anyways.

The rest of the Hiks will definitely be replaced with Starlights, with the exception of a PTZ I installed last year and a 4k that's en route from Andy for watching the kids in the front of the house; I'm not as concerned about a Starlight there as it's during the day when the kids are playing out there and a car tears through the cul-de-sac to turn around that I need coverage. I plan on adding a IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 focused at the entrance of the cul-de-sac to get better ID of vehicles/people entering and exiting. If anyone is interested in the 4k (HDW5830R-Z) I can start a thread about it and compare it to the Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-IS it's replacing.
Man it only took me one night of the "bug party" to look for an alt strategy for motion events. Spring on a mountain in Georgia is bug city. IVS intelligent functionality on the HDW5231R-Z was the ticket for sure! Not one single false alarm in two days (not a long time I know) but it's properly identified tripwire event every single time. I manually tested it about 8 times, even trying to trick it a few times by hugging the wall or moving very fast and it nailed me every time. It has grabbed every person walking towards my house and all coming/ going vehicles which is how I wanted it to behave. Beats the fuckerdoodles out of using motion events. I'm definitely going to snag one of these fixed turrets for my front door and I think my back yard (there's nothing in my backyard that makes sense to zoom on), then hopefully find a 6mm or maybe another 5231R in stock at some point for my driveway.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

slogik

n3wb
Reaction score
Which "Enterprise VMS solution" are you using and how much did it set you back?
I tried several and ended up settling on Axxon Next. I liked the single pain of glass on all the cams, not just motion detection but other analytics (line crossing, abandoned items, etc) to cut down on false alerts and the 100 to 500 emails I would receive from Blue Iris every day no matter how much I tweaked it. Axxon also supported using a Axis P8221 which I bought as it was my original plan to integrate some Bosch OD850's to trigger my recordings instead of motion events. I think I paid around $500 for a 9 camera license; one of the other reasons I went that route was that the next version of Axxon (4) was going to have a Linux version and I wanted my home server off of Windows. Now version 4 is out and all references to the Linux version are gone, so I'm looking at other options right now. I'm currently evaluating NX Witness/DW Spectrum and the granularity in the motion detection works really well, the way I always thought it should work. For example, with Axxon, I can set the sensitivity of motion, which is the same for the whole screen. I can set the minimum and maximum object size, how long movement takes place before triggering, pretty standard stuff, but it applies those same settings to the entire screen. With NX Witness, I get the familiar grid, and I can include areas for motion detection by drawing boxes. What is different (from what I've used) is that I can have different sensitivity settings, from 0 (none) to 9 (most sensitive) on the same screen. So on most of my cameras, I have 1 set close to the camera, and the further I get away, the higher I set the sensitivity on the box I draw. Something triggered a recording that shouldn't? I'll change the sensitivity of the box there by 1 and see if it stops. This is the best setup I've seen for motion detection so far, and I'm able to eliminate 95% of false positives without more advanced analytics or resorting to external sensors with this setup. I'm sure other VMS software has this as well, I've tried about a half dozen and this is the first time I've seen it. I'm curious to see how well it deals with the shadows I get once the leaves on the trees come in. It is licensed at about $255 for 4 cameras, a little more than I paid for Axxon.

slogik

n3wb
Reaction score
@slogik I wish i was as passive as you... the 2nd vandalism at my house would of easily led to ww3.
I was trying to do the Christian thing. I also had concerns as I didn't know if this guy was violent or not and after being arrested, would he come back shooting (not a problem if it's me or my wife, but with a then 2 and 4 year old in the house I wouldn't want to get in a shootout). What I've learned and been told by friends in law enforcement and an attorney since then is that if someone is caught like that, there are two outcomes. A) They know the cameras are there and everything de-escalates and you have no more problems. B) They are nuts and continue to escalate anyways. The chance of B) happening increases if, when they were caught, that you didn't press charges. The lesson they learned was that nothing happens, they get away with it so why should they stop.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was trying to do the Christian thing. I also had concerns as I didn't know if this guy was violent or not and after being arrested, would he come back shooting (not a problem if it's me or my wife, but with a then 2 and 4 year old in the house I wouldn't want to get in a shootout). What I've learned and been told by friends in law enforcement and an attorney since then is that if someone is caught like that, there are two outcomes. A) They know the cameras are there and everything de-escalates and you have no more problems. B) They are nuts and continue to escalate anyways. The chance of B) happening increases if, when they were caught, that you didn't press charges. The lesson they learned was that nothing happens, they get away with it so why should they stop.

Yeah... hats off to you man. I would lose my shit. I'm stuck with that eye for an eye mentality. Kids really change perspective.