Dahua Starlight Mini-Dome 3.6mm (IPC-HDB4231C-AS)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
for shits and giggles here is another completely unscientific test, but here is the built in android flashlight app on my HTC M8 on its LOWEST level pointed right at the xmas tree.. the camera is better than my eyes as far as detail is concerned at this level; after letting my eyes adjust I could not see nearly as many decorations on the tree

Galileo NVR-IPC-HDB4231C-AS-2016-12-22-02-00-23.jpg

and here is at max power flashlight app

Galileo NVR-IPC-HDB4231C-AS-2016-12-22-02-04-08.jpg

any other 2MP camera this price or less would be falling on there faces in these conditions, at least in my experience.

Last edited:

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It looks like a fairly close match anyway but you could probably paint the case with ceiling white if you wanted to make it even more discrete. Do you reckon there would be enough clearance to hang the dome / lens through a hole in the gyprock with the body above?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I doubt it with this wide of an angle, at that point take the dome off and shove it into an object on the shelf.. I almost fit it behind that tiki looking out its mouth, but 2 things stopped me: first the hole was not large enough and obscured part of the image, and lastly my wife saw me and gave me a look that only a pregnant woman can give you.. I left her tiki alone.

mebe a picture frame with some modern abstract art and a hole cut for the lens heh.. if you wanna take shit apart you can get it to fit into all sorts of things if your determined enough.. for it to rotate im thinking it has separate boards and a ribbon im betting.. hrmmm

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am in the process of getting the NVR5216 16P 4KS2. Is this all I will need to get the 2 cameras I bought up and running (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) thanks for the review on them.
I am also going to purchase a minidome from this thread, (will that be ok for outdoors under a porch?)
I am pretty green with this but I need to set up a system to be able to keep an eye on the property eventually up to 8 cameras will be used.

thanks for your time into all of this

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this minidome is not ok outdoors on a porch, get the varifocal turret.. read the verdict in post #1, that was added fairly recently after I had enough time with it to render judgment.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey @nayr did you know you are a ghost ?
thats why I'm now leaning towards the Starlight MiniWedge, just a bit of IR light would have prevented the exposure from doing such things.. Since you can disable the IR on the wedge if you want it should do everything this camera can do and then some.

I'm thinking of a MiniWedge for a Baby cam in the kids room, because watching them when the lights are out is kinda the point.. I have hopes that it could potentially be one of the best mini-Indoor cameras you can get, but I still would not recommend it outside where a varifocal would spank it.

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
this minidome is not ok outdoors on a porch, get the varifocal turret.. read the verdict in post #1, that was added fairly recently after I had enough time with it to render judgment.
Yeh i figured that would be your answer, problem of course as you mentioned earlier THE WIFE. Is there any other cameras that small that would be good for under the roof of a porch? I bought 2 of the turrets for other areas of the outside. Would like to keep it invisible.

Thanks,
Drew

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks nayr
Is this what you do for a living or is it your passion?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
for a short while I installed cameras commercially for a small upstart, but it was a rough gig and I didnt last long before finding something better paying and less physical work heh.. Currently I assist developers with integrating there own software with our cloud based audio/video teleconferences.

right now its largely a hobby, not as expensive as some of my others... but I still have a few friends working in commercial security

Last edited:

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
mebe a picture frame with some modern abstract art and a hole cut for the lens heh.. if you wanna take shit apart you can get it to fit into all sorts of things if your determined enough.. for it to rotate im thinking it has separate boards and a ribbon im betting.. hrmmm
That sounds like I've got you thinking and if that's the case now I'm in trouble with your pregnant wife. eek!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

These look like they could be goods for confirmatory cameras linked to the alarm system. The trouble and strife isn't keen on the idea of cameras inside the house, and as a general rule nor am I, but I've got a rough outline of an idea sitting in my head for internal cameras that are powered off by the switch, in addition to being disabled in BI, except when the alarm is armed or in an alarm state. That's a project for the new year/2018 sometime though. I can see my current to do list keeping me busy until March at least and that's before I've even considered starting on the home automation.

right now its largely a hobby, not as expensive as some of my others...
What are your other hobbies? Cocaine addiction? :D All jokes aside, money spent on the security of your family is never wasted IMHO and enjoying the process is a massive bonus.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Traded my Cocaine addition in for a boost addiction; fast cars cost about the same and can kill yeh just as suddenly :p

thinking of trading my diesel golf for a diesel tuareg, the fact that I can chiptune it to 340 bhp 530lb-ft for a mere $650 makes it very tempting.. I'll loose my 6spd MT but gain leather trim, awd, and alot more powah.. (3.5ton tow rating and 30mpg hwy) all in the excuse of getting a 2nd kid.

for my first kid I went out and got a 450hp bi-turbo v8 audi rs6, so im not going quite as deep down the rabbit hole this time.. lol

really though when you live and play a mile high or greater; boost is pretty much a minimum requirement and i do need something that can haul 4 ppl, 2 dogs and tow/offroad.. in all weather.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah I inquired about it, there are a couple more starlight cameras I'd like to get my hands on and review.. I intend on replacing most of my existing setup with the starlight equivalents as they become available and I can afford it.. so you can count on more reviews/comparisons in the future.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When I was looking for AWD vehicle for the family I almost bought the diesel tuareg but, $11,000 for a transmission and the tranny was getting bad reviews. I have two all wheel drive mini SUV's now Ford and a Chev.

Xenon54

n3wb
Reaction score
yeah I inquired about it, there are a couple more starlight cameras I'd like to get my hands on and review.. I intend on replacing most of my existing setup with the starlight equivalents as they become available and I can afford it.. so you can count on more reviews/comparisons in the future.
yeah, seems like the tech has matured to the point where you can get decent images for a reasonable cost, so I've decided to expand my setup and coverage. My 3yr old Hikvision cams may also get replaced eventually depending on how they perform side by side.

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've asked Andy from Empire if he can get some of these in stock, and he confirmed he's booked an order, so hopefully I'll get my hands on one in the near future.
Have you contacted Andy lately, I placed an order and paid but have not heard from him?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Jack B Nimble , the new 8spd is pretty well regarded, the previous v8 diesel t-regg was an expensive nightmare.. this last gen v6 and probably last diesel suv ever will is actually quite solid.. I know the nightmares of horrible expensive automatics (audi), I ditched the RS6 when its 11k transmission felt a lil off..

of course the cost of 20in tires and brakes wont be cheap as far as maintenance compared to golf, and im sure this big heavy thing will eat em like candy.. goodbye >40k mile $500 shoes heh.. but I wanted to put a canoe on my trailer and its already pretty much at weight capacity of my car (1400lbs), behind this thing it wont even be noticed.

Xenon54

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you contacted Andy lately, I placed an order and paid but have not heard from him?
Andy shipped a load of cams recently and I got notification of one of mine being posted, but these wedge cams were not on his original inventory list so we'll have to wait longer for them.