Dahua Starlight STARVIS with more MP?

pcunite

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

Looking to put together a 28 camera system (8 outside, 20 inside).

Everyone is going crazy around here for the Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. I will definitely try one of those out! However, at only 2MP, wouldn't the 4MP IPC-HDW5431R-ZE be an upgrade? It does not have the STARVIS (Starlight) feature (which I think is just big pixels). Any higher res Starlight options?

I really like the varifocal feature as I don't know the focal length I'll need for each interior room. Comparing Dahua to Axis M3105-LVE and Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I turrets.

Korgoth

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There is 6Mpx for example HDW5631, on Sony sensor. Low light similar to 4.0 mpx, a little bit better. But still not even close to 2Mpx.

Or try ultra series HDBW8630 or HDBW8331. Great cameras

Wysłane z mojego SM-G935F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Starlight and STARVIS are two separate things. A camera can have both or only one of them.
STARVIS is the sensor but they have different sensitivitys. What you should look at is the LUX numbers. Lower lux is better.
I am quite happy with the epoe 8MP Starvis but they are nowhere near as good in low light as the 2MP Starvis "Starlight" branded cams. It all depends if the IR can handle the dark then it works fine. I have several cams pointing in same area so IR light is good.

I Quote bigredfish

**** Dahua places the "Starlight" name on cameras that have anything .009 or lower.
.01 < Not Starlight
.009 < Starlight

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe with so many cameras in the system you can have a mix of 2 & 4 MP? Check out the Cliff Notes linked in my signature; may provide some food for thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Not to go off-topic here, but 28-camera system is a lot, is this for residential or commercial install?

Hello,

Everyone is going crazy around here for the Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. I will definitely try one of those out! However, at only 2MP, wouldn't the 4MP IPC-HDW5431R-ZE be an upgrade? It does not have the STARVIS (Starlight) feature (which I think is just big pixels). Any higher res Starlight options?

I really like the varifocal feature as I don't know the focal length I'll need for each interior room. Comparing Dahua to Axis M3105-LVE and Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I turrets.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello,

If it's a commercial install, will the scenes the cameras will be watching inside always be lit? If so 4mp would perform better. If you need to watch the scenes at night though, a 2mp will perform better. More megapixels does not mean better overall performance.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I will definitely try one of those out! However, at only 2MP, wouldn't the 4MP IPC-HDW5431R-ZE be an upgrade?
I agree with @mlapaglia's above. Starlight's almost always have the best image quality in low-light conditions, which is why so many folks here use them outside. If the best low-light performance isn't a requirement (i.e. an indoor location that has OK lighting 24/7), then a 4MP camera may be a better choice for that location.

pcunite

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Commercial install, two buildings with close proximity to each other. The interior lighting will be good during business hours.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Commercial install, two buildings with close proximity to each other. The interior lighting will be good during business hours.
Do you care about after business hours, when the lights are off?

pcunite

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you care about after business hours, when the lights are off?
I will have to ask the owner. I'm thinking that maybe in some areas they might prefer good low light performance.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think i would go with a STARVIS sensor in all lighting conditions. they are better sensors (there are several of them). I would go with 2MP Starlight (just a term by Dahua for better than an arbitrary low light LUX) in most outdoor situations. Well lit indoor conditions can benefit from higher pixel count, but rarely need them. I would think that the 87 deg 4K Starvis fixed focus mini dome and H265 would give a good amount of pixels per foot at 30 feet, which is very handy in a business sized room.

Speaking of business solutions. I really wish Dahua would make a Z12 in a turret or mini dome. The Z5 is too narrow (35 deg) for most situations by a few degrees, and it would be nice to zoom past the Z model in several situations without changing parts.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I recall @nayr speaking of limitations due to foam factor and technical limitations of fitting such a lens

I think i would go with a STARVIS sensor in all lighting conditions. they are better sensors (there are several of them). I would go with 2MP Starlight (just a term by Dahua for better than an arbitrary low light LUX) in most outdoor situations. Well lit indoor conditions can benefit from higher pixel count, but rarely need them. I would think that the 87 deg 4K Starvis fixed focus mini dome and H265 would give a good amount of pixels per foot at 30 feet, which is very handy in a business sized room.

Speaking of business solutions. I really wish Dahua would make a Z12 in a turret or mini dome. The Z5 is too narrow (35 deg) for most situations by a few degrees, and it would be nice to zoom past the Z model in several situations without changing parts.