Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd second bp2008's caution on #3. Aiming a turret at close to horizontal with much soffit in front of it can bounce glare back if you have to use the built-in IR although they're MUCH better than bubble domes for nearly horizontal aiming from a soffit/ceiling mount. Countersinking it into the soffit will make that effect worse and limit the upward angle you can effectively use it. If you actually have to mount them way up high and angled down then go for it but I haven't looked for recessed mounts. I'll take whatever deterrence value there is in visible cameras without quite going to prison level aesthetics with huge enclosed bullet cams.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Ali site says, "
"Free Shipping to United States via DHL Estimated Delivery Time:6-13days".

Anyone actually get their camera in that amount of time?

I ordered 3 of these when it showed in stock on the 23rd and it still shows as "awaiting shipment...Processing time 5 days 3 hrs""??
What does that mean?

FYI, I also did not get the $170 price as promised. Mine was $179.99...I messaged and Andy offered $30 off on another future purchase stating he cannot do refunds or process discounts once purchased.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
DHL Shipping will only take 3 days or so; it took them far longer to ship it out than it did to actually deliver it.. but I still got it well within the estimated delivery time.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@bp2008, that scene dont really call for WDR being enabled.. I find its most worthwhile when the camera is in the shade, and the scene is partially shaded and partially very sunny.. like on a northern facing camera thats in the shadow of the building.

any scene that is mostly very bright, or mostly shaded it wont have as much dynamic range to work with and WDR does not improve much; if at all.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Disappointing first experience ordering through Empire on AliExpress.

Ordered two of the Starlight cameras through them. Passed the Verified by Visa screen. Received a confirmation: "Payment successfully made."

Later received the message: "Your payment was not processed due to security reasons. As a result your order has been cancelled. AliExpress did not accept any payment for this order. However, please note that some banks may hold onto payments for up to 3-15 business days. To avoid order cancellations in the future, please submit a claim to validate this payment information."

Pushed the button to submit a claim: "The system is busy. Please try again later."

I was willing to wait for a vendor that advertised a product even though I couldn't order it because they had no stock. I was willing to order based on advertised 30 day delivery time from Empire (Read, no units actually in stock but we think we'll get them - it doesn't take 30 days for other items to be courier delivered DHL from China. Truly "In stock", DHL (Premium courier service) deliveries from China can be under 7 days).

But I'm not pleased about taking payment which is still actually charged to my credit card, but having the order rejected for no known reason and with a dead link to appeal when another charge I made to AliExpress using the same credit card, delivered to the same address, went through today, is, well, unprofessional.

Not happy when there's no recourse. Buyer beware.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thats AliExpress, not empire.. the payment processing on ali has gone a lil hardcore recently on verifying first time buyers and the more money you spend the more likely your going to get scrutinized and asked to verify identity.. I think buyer fraud has jumped dramatically for them to take such steps.

I havent had any problems but I been buying on ali for years, thankfully the worst ive had happen was an order got canceled because a delay in shipping.. when I replaced my order I failed to notice I was no longer getting a sale price so I paid a lil more than I had expected in the end... now if it gets close to the shipping deadlline I start bugging the seller and will extend it a few days if necessary.. Empire cut it close to expiring with my order for this camera, I ended up extending it 24h but it shipped just in time for the original deadline anyhow.

Its going to be some time still before this hits US Retail markets; mebe the'll start appearing by tax refund time in more abundance.. but dealing with Ali is not so bad; if your patient.. without that aliExpress will be your worst enemy

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think sellers sometimes mark it as shipped a few days premature just so they don't lose the order. Of course that starts the delivery countdown.

Another thing that really irritates me is how aliexpress puts this little badge there saying "Seller Guarantees: On-time Delivery 10 days" (not always 10 days, often it is 23+ days). The tooltip says you get a full refund if the product isn't received in that time. Of course that is totally bogus. One timer starts after your payment is approved, and another timer starts when the order is marked as shipped. With this guaranteed delivery time, they make it sound like if there is a shipping delay you will get the item for free (like a pizza delivery company saying if it arrives late it is free), but what it really means is "we will cancel your order after a while and thanks for the two week interest-free loan buddy".

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I expect my experience with Ali Express is what many prospective customers worry about: Sales people are available over email when you want to buy something, but there is very little recourse when things go wrong.

My order was rejected. The only way to appeal was with a button that didn't work and the charge is still on my card. For how long, who knows. Not confidence inspiring.

Retail customers are very price sensitive (Unless they are of the iTard persuasion). Race to the bottom. So you have to expect level one customer service (Or zero in this case). But the order acceptance, then a possible 24 hour delay for confirmation, then an order rejection with no stated reason and no way to contact the vendor is frustrating.

Having used CCs all over the world for decades, I've been rejected by Visa/MC countless times. It's the principal reason for carrying Amex as a backup. But when the credit rejection is through Visa/MC, (a) It is instant and (b) You can call a number, verify your identity and the transaction proceeds. Not so with Ali Express in my experience. They are acting as a credit verification intermediary. Probably, as Nayr suggested, out of necessity. But the 24 hour delay is a pain when you are ordering other related items for a job and the failed appeal process obviously not good enough.

Okay, I've had my gripe for today (Enough for a month). Have to move on and look at other sources.

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Andy has recently suggested paying through PayPal for me might be a better idea (I'm in the UK) - wonder if that would help...

wetland

n3wb
Reaction score
@freddyq Andy has suggested the same for me paying through PayPal (I'm in the US).

Has anyone else paid through PayPal with Empire / Andy? If so how did it work out?

@cosmo I'm in the same situation as you my order was cancelled and my CC has been charged. When I check my account the charge is showing as pending ("3 to 15 business days" tick-tock).

dorcse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think sellers sometimes mark it as shipped a few days premature just so they don't lose the order. Of course that starts the delivery countdown
This is a practice that really does piss me off. Not only do some sellers mark items as shipped (when they have NOT shipped) they also provide a phony tracking number. When or if it does ship, you have to hope the seller updates the tracking info with a REAL number you can track. Andy has always been straight with me about any shipping delays, so this issue does not occur. Sometimes he'll ask for an extension and I'm glad to do that because I know he just needs extra time to get stock of a popular cam (like this one) but will deliver the goods.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Andy has suggested the same for me paying through PayPal
I don't see PayPal as a payment option. When you go to AliExpress's "How can I pay" screen, PayPal is not listed there either.

tspicer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@freddyq Andy has suggested the same for me paying through PayPal (I'm in the US).

Has anyone else paid through PayPal with Empire / Andy? If so how did it work out?
Well I did just that and paid through Paypal. We'll see how it goes. Andy can send a PP invoice if you request it. Andy is trying very hard to fulfill orders for those of us having payment problems with aliexpress. I wish that process was easier. But it may be more the fault of our Credit card companies' security measures than aliexpress.

Again, we'll see how it goes.. ;)

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I sent a message to Andy asking him to arrange PayPal.

Reaction score
Nayr - I have a few questions:

1. When do you think this camera will be available from US retailers (B&H Photo, etc)?
2. Is there an advantage in waiting until that time to get a US version versus buying this version from Ali?
3. When the US market version is released, do you think it will have a significantly higher price point that the Ali version?

Thanks for your detailed review. I am a newbie and was about to pull the trigger on a Hikvision system but I think you have swayed me to this camera. I appreciate all of the hard work and information you put into this review!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. I suspect late winter/early spring.. at least based off historical evidence.. My Mini Black Face PTZ was announced in the summer, started appearing in limited quantities via importing only throughout the fall/winter and then finally appeared as a US Market model the following spring.
2. Only if you really dont want to deal with importing it your self.
3. Definitely, the US Model: DH-SD29A204SN-GN is about $650 on Newegg/BHPVideo, the International model: DH-SD29204S-GN I got my hands on for $170 on AliExpress.. for that kinda difference you can forgo quality warranty/support because if one fails and you cant claim warranty, your still better off taking the loss and importing another.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I expect my experience with Ali Express is what many prospective customers worry about: Sales people are available over email when you want to buy something, but there is very little recourse when things go wrong.

My order was rejected. The only way to appeal was with a button that didn't work and the charge is still on my card. For how long, who knows. Not confidence inspiring.

Retail customers are very price sensitive (Unless they are of the iTard persuasion). Race to the bottom. So you have to expect level one customer service (Or zero in this case). But the order acceptance, then a possible 24 hour delay for confirmation, then an order rejection with no stated reason and no way to contact the vendor is frustrating.

Having used CCs all over the world for decades, I've been rejected by Visa/MC countless times. It's the principal reason for carrying Amex as a backup. But when the credit rejection is through Visa/MC, (a) It is instant and (b) You can call a number, verify your identity and the transaction proceeds. Not so with Ali Express in my experience. They are acting as a credit verification intermediary. Probably, as Nayr suggested, out of necessity. But the 24 hour delay is a pain when you are ordering other related items for a job and the failed appeal process obviously not good enough.

Okay, I've had my gripe for today (Enough for a month). Have to move on and look at other sources.
Thanks guys, this alipay many clients complain it, and for the stocks i will have can cover all the orders who made to us on aliexpress and PAYPAL. Paypal is a safe tool for you and us, and price always the 170usd(EUROPE/North America/Australia. Appreciated for all guys waiting. From now till Dec.15th, we will not open to sell any new cameras, and in the left days, will have enough stock for all guys.I will do as fast as i can to get new stocks. I will put on some SD59225U-HNI online and 4pcs avaiable next week.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Well I did just that and paid through Paypal. We'll see how it goes. Andy can send a PP invoice if you request it. Andy is trying very hard to fulfill orders for those of us having payment problems with aliexpress. I wish that process was easier. But it may be more the fault of our Credit card companies' security measures than aliexpress.

Again, we'll see how it goes.. ;)
Yesterday we sent a whole kit to CA include 3cams and 1 NVR. Use paypal.