Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yep. it does. but i recommend you to take the NVR4116-8P-4KS2 because it will cost nearly the same... around 10USD, and you'll have the possibility to have 8+ channels later. You save a lot money going with the 4116 instead of the 5216, so don't mind the extra 10USD for 16 channels ;)
Andy/Empire doesn't have the NVR4116-8P-4KS2 :(

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't care about motion recording...I want to record 24/7, then just review the footage if something happens.
That's cool. So when you look at your NVR for a day, you'll just a see a big green 24-hour bar, with no visual indication on that bar as to when anything happened on that day. NVR should work great for this.

A lot of folks here record continuously (i.e. 24/7) and use Motion Detection and IVS events so that when they look at their timeline for a day, their green timeline bar will contain orange and yellow blips that indicate when the cameras actually caught something happening. Makes finding footage a ton easier.

@aristobrat maybe I found a workaround to this. I'm still using the firmware from 2016-07 and tried to make the NVR not to do a second clip if an IVS event occurs. You remembered me to have a look at my footage to see if it works.
And what's to say else then "It seems to work" :)
I'll check my footage and post it in the correct thread...
Awesome, very interested to read your findings!!!

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's cool. So when you look at your NVR for a day, you'll just a see a big green 24-hour bar, with no visual indication on that bar as to when anything happened on that day. NVR should work great for this.

A lot of folks here record continuously (i.e. 24/7) and use Motion Detection and IVS events so that when they look at their timeline for a day, their green timeline bar will contain orange and yellow blips that indicate when the cameras actually caught something happening. Makes finding footage a ton easier.

Awesome, very interested to read your findings!!!
I just bought the NVR4108-8P-4KS2 from Andy/Empire for $159. I'm 100% sure I'll never have 8 cameras.

That motion detection thing sounds pretty neat when you put it that way. So I will record 24/7 and use the Motion/IVS events too.

Also got 2 PFB203W mounts and 1 PFA137 coming.

I'm excited!

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@mordak u can connect a monitor to nvr and startup the NVR.disconnect the monitor and setup cams using computer software.everything can be done in the software.real easy once u get it going.dahua did a fine job on the software.very easy to use.two thumbs up.:)

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

ttnc4me

n3wb
Reaction score
From a few days ago though....
If use with HDW5231R-Z, surely the NVR52XX
Maybe oversized for three cams, but well prepared for future constellations
There are also the NVR4xxx models. They are also available with PoE. Depends on your needs. If you guess one HDD is enough you could go with a NVR41xx-4KS2. But of course you'll have to look for yourself which one fits best for you. I would always recommend the -4KS2 models because of their capability for H.265 and 4K support if needed.
1HDD Models with PoE
NVR4104-P-4KS2: 4 channel, 4 PoE
NVR4108-P-4KS2: 8 channel, 4 PoE
NVR4108-8P-4KS2: 8 channel, 8 PoE
NVR4116-8P-4KS2: 16 channel, 8 PoE

2HDD models with PoE
NVR42xx
NVR52xx etc.
I don't want to list every model. As you can see you, the naming of the model gives your every info needed for initial choice, then you can look after the details.
NVR4xxx number is type of class, 6,7 are Ultra, 5 Pro, 4,2 are Lite
NVRx1xx number is amount of HDD
NVRxx16 number is amount of channels
-P is four port of PoE, -8P is eight ports of PoE and -16P is sixteen ports of PoE
I bought Andy's recommendation, but I'm only going to have 2 cameras ever. I feel like maybe I just bought overkill?

kmon24

n3wb
Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but are you able to use this for indoor purposes only? If not what Dahua product should I look at for indoor purposes ?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is this camera compatible with Blue Iris?
Yes, there's quite a few folks in the thread using BI with these cameras.

Many IP cameras have "smart event" detection built into them nowadays. For the most part, these camera features can only be used to trigger/mark recordings on the NVR if the NVR is the same brand as the camera. So if you're reading through this thread and see people talking about setting up IVS events (like line crossing, intrusion detection, etc), those will not work with Blue Iris (or any other NVR that isn't made by Dahua). Blue Iris supports its own advanced motion detection, though. It's pretty good.

kmon24

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, there's quite a few folks in the thread using BI with these cameras.

Many IP cameras have "smart event" detection built into them nowadays. For the most part, these camera features can only be used to trigger/mark recordings on the NVR if the NVR is the same brand as the camera. So if you're reading through this thread and see people talking about setting up IVS events (like line crossing, intrusion detection, etc), those will not work with Blue Iris (or any other NVR that isn't made by Dahua). Blue Iris supports its own advanced motion detection, though. It's pretty good.
Thanks

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what's the latest firmware for these? I have 3 cams from Andy...1 came with build 2017-3-6, and 2 with 2017-1-5

Doolally

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My 6 cams just arrived cannot wait to get them on and test
FYI I do not have NVR or POE injector.

I will be using a POE switch gigabit
TRENDnet 48-Port Gigabit Web Smart PoE Switch (TPE-4840WS)
plus Blue IRIS ( ON a DELL 3040 SFF ) have not even plugged them in to check for PAL/NTSC FW as of yet can create a new thread if needed this is my first run with CCTV and NVR and Cams in general and would like to say thank you to everyone on here who has given advice and comments this has been a very steep learning curve and I am eager to learn more :)

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
My 6 cams just arrived cannot wait to get them on and test
FYI I do not have NVR or POE injector.

I will be using a POE switch gigabit plus Blue IRIS ( ON a DELL 3040 SFF ) have not even plugged them in to check for PAL/NTSC FW as of yet can create a new thread if needed this is my first run with CCTV and NVR and Cams in general and would like to say thank you to everyone on here who has given advice and comments this has been a very steep learning curve and I am eager to learn more :)
Most orders can be delivered early this week, and we will have enough stock to go this Friday, got total 200pcs, but seems sold 100+ now.

Doolally

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY you sir have been a fuckin legend thank you for getting my order completed and shipped, no issues what so ever will be referring you to everyone not just on this forum :)

Doolally

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but are you able to use this for indoor purposes only? If not what Dahua product should I look at for indoor purposes ?
Hey I just ordered 6 x
IPC-HDW5231R-Z and they will be all used outside