Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi guys,
my one has arrived. First testings, missing smart codec and smart plan. The firmware is maybe first release. I think the firmware for IPC-Hx5x3x-Reha should be the right one?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I posted the firmware version I got in first post; I am pretty sure this camera does not have SmartCodec..

unless your having a problem, you have no reason to update.

Reactions: Tic

RH-Atl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Be careful with the lens. Lens and molded domes are "highely polished for clarity". I designed a 6" clear camera dome a number of years back and we spent an additional 60K (above normal cost) on mold finish polishing just to obtain the clarity we desired. Cheaper cameras and molders often don't spend the man time or polish enough or all the way out to the quadrants on domes just to save the bucks.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nayr, can you recommend any starlight domes that perform similarly to the 5231s? I might have to replace them with domes because I only have to worry about covering the bodies with paint or electrical tape.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I posted the firmware version I got in first post; I am pretty sure this camera does not have SmartCodec..

unless your having a problem, you have no reason to update.
Normally you are right, for every normal user for sure. But i am a play boy (Dont know how it will be called in english) :) And i can recover...

Software Version 2.400.0000.23.R, Build Date: 2016-07-05
WEB Version 3.2.1.358605
ONVIF Version 2.4.2

Mine is older.

RH-Atl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ordered early last Friday from Oscar at Jimbu. Shipped Monday, arrived today ATL :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@RH-Atl edit out that serial number please; Andy could have issues w/dahua if they find out he's the one selling these cheap on aliExpress.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
2.460.0000.1.R.JPG
These are the first very quick tests with the new release.
First a of all, the firmware is working.
h265 smart codec.JPG
Smart Codec h264 works with VBR 8 Mbit and quality 6
Smart Codec h265 works also with VBR 6 Mbit and quality 6. The bitrate is half size of h264 like expected. Object blurs is nearly the same like h264 (digitally zoom in in far objects we can see it)

Compared to the normal stream, it reduces the bandwidth about 10 times. With this setting i have around 5400kbit h264 normal codec and with smart codec and no motion it has 240kbit.

But be aware, when using smart codec we can only use simple motion detection !
features.JPG

For my weather cam solution it doesn´t bother me, but is the smart codec so much cpu consuming?

I will test more and report.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
And this is fucking awesome, lets use it with tinyipcam monitor or gDMSS Lite it reduced again to amazing 20kbit. And i still can´t see a picture quality loss !!!!! It notices the app.

bitrate-smarth265.JPG
from desktop cut out

Zooming in doesn´t make a difference, i think they use a dynamic bandwith for the visible picture area. Works better than what i know of Mobotix, they have a similar function.

Screenshot_20170112-211212.png
Here from Dahua app.

Edit: the cam also works with smart h265 on Smart PSS in live view. i don´t use recording so i didn´t test it.

Last edited:

GuiBou

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First time I really learn what the smart codec option is for!! :)
I think I must leave it off on my 4431...

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone else experience crunchy grindy noises when zooming this camera in\out?

I have 4 of these HDW5231R-Z cameras now.
The first two zoom in\out silently without making a sound.
The second two arrived this week.
The first of the two newest arrivals is silent when zooming IN but makes a disconcerting gravely, grinding, whirring sound when zooming back out which continues for a few seconds after I release the zoom slider control.
The second of the new arrivals makes these noises both when zooming IN or OUT.

This is my first varifocal camera so I don't know what to expect but it concerns me that something is not assembled correctly and could fail so thought I'd ask others here their experience when zooming their HDW5231R-Z camera.

(The first two actually have a Dahua brand logo on the outside rim, the newest ones have no branding, not that this may have anything to do with it but wanted to mention it.)

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you mean, that you hear it in front of the cam or through the internal mic? The mic is so much sensitive, it's normal to hear everything much more.
I can hear it also but very less. A really silent zoom is a quality factor, I earn 2 ptz from suneyes and foscam which are much louder than this one and it no issue.