Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Akguy25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Who did you use to send it back? UPS? Fedex? DHL? Remeber what the cost was?
He sent me an address and i sent back USPS $33.75

Mufasa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
He sent me an address and i sent back USPS $33.75
Could you please let me know the address, and what are the detailed steps?

I tried to get this information from Andy for three weeks, has not gotten it.

HalfMoon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Could you please let me know the address, and what are the detailed steps?

I tried to get this information from Andy for three weeks, has not gotten it.
You don't just want to mail it back w/o getting some kind of RMA authorization. I know he's swamped with questions and requests, but I seem to get the quickest response from him when my emails get to him at about 8-9 AM his time.... I think if he sees them come in he responds quickly, otherwise as things get busy they might get delayed/lost.

These are just some of the problems with having the right product at a great price and trying to keep the supply flowing.

Bret_FL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
One of MY 5231s seems to be DOA. I plug it into the POE switch and the POE power light comes on but I never get a link light. Its definitely a camera problem as I've tried multiple ports on the switch that I know work. Anyone have this behavior or anything I can try before I exchange with @EMPIRETECANDY ?
Iv'e had mine for a few days now and the first 24 Hours seemed all good, but today Iv'e noticed gone off line several times (Can not find the network host) Will not show up on the NVR search or by pulling up the web UI. Seems to occuring more freqyently and staying off line longer now or comple DOA

Bret_FL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Iv'e had mine for a few days now and the first 24 Hours seemed all good, but today Iv'e noticed gone off line several times (Can not find the network host) Will not show up on the NVR search or by pulling up the web UI. Seems to occuring more freqyently and staying off line longer now or comple DOA

Just as I sent send it came back online for a second or two then back off line

Mufasa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You don't just want to mail it back w/o getting some kind of RMA authorization. I know he's swamped with questions and requests, but I seem to get the quickest response from him when my emails get to him at about 8-9 AM his time.... I think if he sees them come in he responds quickly, otherwise as things get busy they might get delayed/lost.

These are just some of the problems with having the right product at a great price and trying to keep the supply flowing.
Thanks for the info. Was trying to be patient and biding my time waiting for reply. One email per day it is then.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just as I sent send it came back online for a second or two then back off line
Can you swap ethernet cables to rule that out? Pull the camera inside and run off of a shorter, pre-made one for a day or so?

Bret_FL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can you swap ethernet cables to rule that out? Pull the camera inside and run off of a shorter, pre-made one for a day or so?
It came back online a little while ago after being offline for a good 15 minutes or more, stayed on for about a minute or two and back offline again. Now it's back up so a much shorter down time this go around.

I did swap Ethernet ports on the POE switch and didn't help. The other camera stays online plugged into the same port that has the 5231 going on/off line

I will do what you recommend or try swapping out with another camera.

Last edited:

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I ordered today and my shipment is already going to be shipped. Andy is on the ball for sure. I'm getting it shipped to my work address because I'll be gone for 3 weeks. This way he doesn't run out and I have to wait.

Reaction score
Received my two cams today, they work great bench testing! Nice solid metal build quality, they make my Foscam units feel like toys.

Does anyone know the connection profile/scheme for viewing these cams in Live Cams Pro on iOS? They do not show up when performing an auto scan and none of the 5 Dahua specific camera profiles seem to work when I try and set up manually.

Conversely, I am able to view them on Tiny Cams Pro on android easily. It auto discovered them as a generic Onvif "Profile S" device (http port 80, rstp over tcp, rtsp port 554) and worked. I was also able to manually set it up as a Dahua model IPC-HDW4431C-A with the same settings. Datapoint - the Onvif Profile S allows for zoom control whereas the Dahua model profile I listed does not.

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Using an SD card only - is it possible to set it up for continual recording.

willzim

n3wb
Reaction score
Ordered a 5231r-z from Andy May 18 and ETA is May 24. If it really does come tomorrow that is pretty amazing but anytime this week is still great to me. Well done

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
perhaps a silly question...in addition to changing the password for all cams, is it recommended to change all the ports used? (ie. TCP, HTTP, UDP, RTSP)

JSec

n3wb
Reaction score
perhaps a silly question...in addition to changing the password for all cams, is it recommended to change all the ports used? (ie. TCP, HTTP, UDP, RTSP)
Kinda sounds like security through obscurity. Anyone with a port scanner would find it anyway. I wouldn't bother.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I got a 5231 temporary installed at my front door and I could use your feedback on it at my installation thread.

TechBill's surveillance build

After looking at the photo again, maybe I should had tried to zoom in a little until the ceiling and front door disappear from view. I have it disconnected right now while I go cook dinner, we have one year old here that like to yank cables which is laying across the room temporary for testing purposes.

I will get back on it after dinner and try zooming in a bit.

Bret_FL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It came back online a little while ago after being offline for a good 15 minutes or more, stayed on for about a minute or two and back offline again. Now it's back up so a much shorter down time this go around.

I did swap Ethernet ports on the POE switch and didn't help. The other camera stays online plugged into the same port that has the 5231 going on/off line

I will do what you recommend or try swapping out with another camera.

I think my issue is heat related. Hasn't happened again since Monday when it was really hot. I have ordered another electrical box and will separate some stuff to try and disperse the heat.