Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I ordered mine last week and it arrived today. Wow. For fun I decided to try color mode at night, I had to look out the window to verify it really was dark out. I'm highly impressed.
What was the difference in settings between 2 and 3? 3 looks much brighter on that car parked on the inside.

bjornhallberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to see the exact focal length? The slider in the web interface goes from 0-1400 ...
I mean if I wanted to use this camera as a template for buying non-motorized Dahua models in the future? Or will I just have to make a ballpark estimate here?

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Please can you recommend the best use of IVS tripwires/Intrusion Rules for this camera at the front of a residential property in the UK
thank you

l4cky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
for indoors for a small pharmacy 1800 Square feet area, what is the difference between (knowing for this above purpose)

IPC-HDBW5231E-Z

vs

IPC-HDBW4231F-AS

vs

IPC-HDBW4231E-AS

(All dome).

ropedrag

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently reached out to Andy and purchased two IPC-HDW5231R-Z cameras. These are replacing a Hikvision dome and mini dome.

I mounted and installed the 1st IPC-HDW5231R-Z without issue but something is a bit strange here and my thread search is not productive and 134 pages to read for the search makes me sleepy-time.

OK, on the camera's interface web page the live video image looks awesome as hell, an excellent image that is actually better than my 4MP Hickvision cameras....impressive! However I'm using Sighthound (pro edition) and the image is not nearly as good when I view the live stream and more importantly the recorded files made by Sighthound.

I am trying to figure out why the Sighthound (that has no image adjustments) image is of marginal quality compared to the cameras interface website. I have to assume that the image the camera displays on its interface website is the same image it sends to Sighthound. Certainly it doesn't differ... does it?

Once I learn if its the camera settings, or not, I'll then focus (pun intended) on WTF sighthound.

Thanks!

Screenshot 2017-05-25 06.26.05.png

Screenshot 2017-05-25 06.26.19.png

Last edited:

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@ropedrag I don't use sighthound but is it possible that it is using the camera substream1 instead of the main stream? The substreams are low-rez.

I have mine hooked up to Blue Iris and it looks as-expected. I don't have your issue.

ropedrag

n3wb
Reaction score
@ropedrag I don't use sighthound but is it possible that it is using the camera substream1 instead of the main stream? The substreams are low-rez.

I have mine hooked up to Blue Iris and it looks as-expected. I don't have your issue.
Good suggestion, but I disabled the substream. Thanks!

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please can you recommend the best use of IVS tripwires/Intrusion Rules for this camera at the front of a residential property in the UK
After @nayr pointed it out, I've had the best luck with the IVS > Intrusion feature. Just draw a border around what you want to watch, and then set the Actions to both "Appears" and "Cross". Accuracy was great, and it didn't cover the screen with scribbles.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i thought @nayr recommended tripwires not intrusion.
Ryan may have recommended it, for very good reasons too but he isn't the messiah. :p Try it and see what results you get, make modifications, move on and share your experiences.

I use a combination of all the tools at my disposal to achieve the best results for desired outcome. We all started somewhere but some are better at documenting their progress than others, searches reveal a lot.

Last edited:

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I mounted and installed the 1st IPC-HDW5231R-Z
In my experience, whispy bamboo like yours is going to be an absolute bitch when using IVS. It moves in the slightest breeze, either directly triggering events or it casts shadows that do exactly the same thing.

If you are planning on expanding your system, I would consider replacing the 5321z with something with alarm inputs and using microwave, dual tech or other sensors. I have had luck with this style sensor too.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
2 has no IR lights, 3 has the IR set for auto.
Wow, no IR is indeed pretty impressive. I expect similar results as my home has a street light right next to the driveway. I may just disable B&W on the that cam all together.

l4cky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
can anyone tell me how many mbits (or kbs) does 1 of these camera stream at?

upload at ?

Last edited: