Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is a sandwich. siding, Builder's Edge, PFB203W.

You have the cable coming the correct way out of the PFB203W.

Up to you but are you really sure that you want to tackle this job? Second story, drilling holes into your house, working at heights with valuable equipment that you haven't been able to work out how to assemble at your desk. Your call.

Engage safety squints!
I'm hiring a neighbor that has a home theater/security camera company. But I'm not sure how good he is to be honest... His rate is $125 per cable run, so $375 for my 3 cameras to be installed.

I get that it's a sandwich, that's why I don't see how it's possible to screw those 2 screws back on that are in the above picture after you screw the large plate with 6 holes to the mounting block.

Edit: NEVERMIND! I just figured it out while playing around with it. Ugh I wish I was better at this kind of stuff, I'm going to bed.

Thank you!

Last edited:

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I get that it's a sandwich, that's why I don't see how it's possible to screw those 2 screws back on that are in the above picture after you screw the large plate with 6 holes to the mounting block
Surface Master Installation Instructions

It is all there. The Builder's Edge is basically just a spacer and the Dahua's mounting screws (buy better or longer if needed) got straight through it and attach the sandwich to your house.

I would get a number of quotes before paying $125 per install for $160 cameras.

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Surface Master Installation Instructions

It is all there. The Builder's Edge is basically just a spacer and the Dahua's mounting screws (buy better or longer if needed) got straight through it and attach the sandwich to your house.

I would get a number of quotes before paying $125 per install for $160 cameras.
$375 to run 3 Ethernet lines & install is too much you think?
The PFB203W wall mount screws are only 1". Any suggestion how long to get? 2.5-3" be good or overkill?

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
$375 to run 3 Ethernet lines & install is too much you think?
I don't know, that is why I would recommend getting at least 3 quotes.

Any suggestion how long to get? 2.5-3" be good or overkill?
I don't know, it depends on what you find when you are on top of a ladder, working with power tools above your head. Sounds like you are still considering doing it yourself. I applaud that but it is incongruous to your self professed skill set.

Got to love Doing it Yourself. I could explain to someone how to repair the brakes on their vehicle over the internet but wouldn't recommend it. Once you have your hands on the tools, invariably something unexpected comes up if you don't have experience.

If you are really going to DIY start with an easier location. 2nd story is not the place to practice.

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't know, that is why I would recommend getting at least 3 quotes.

I don't know, it depends on what you find when you are on top of a ladder, working with power tools above your head. Sounds like you are still considering doing it yourself. I applaud that but it is incongruous to your self professed skill set.

Got to love Doing it Yourself. I could explain to someone how to repair the brakes on their vehicle over the internet but wouldn't recommend it. Once you have your hands on the tools, invariably something unexpected comes up if you don't have experience.

If you are really going to DIY start with an easier location. 2nd story is not the place to practice.
I'm not planning to DIY for the install/running the ethernet through the attic.
I just ask to know how it SHOULD be done, so I know if the installer does it the correct way :)

I will get a few more quotes though, that's always a good idea.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so I know if the installer does it the correct way
If it works and looks right, the job is a good one.

If you had the skills to evaluate the finer details of the job you wouldn't be employing a professional.

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is the point of the mounting block on the vinyl instead of just putting the pfb203w directly into the vinyl/house? Either way there's 6 screws going through the vinyl/house.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the point of the mounting block on the vinyl instead of just putting the pfb203w directly into the vinyl/house?
It is right there in the descriptionyou linked to in the Product Overview. The first two dot points are:

• For installing fixtures after the siding has been applied to the home, for use on dutch lap siding
  • Provides level surface for all exterior accessories
Plus you stated "I bought the PFB203W wall mount, and this mounting block, because people told me not to mount the PFB203W directly to vinyl siding"

Spudz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello. I have received 4 of these 5231 cams to test and hooked up one yesterday and works great. However I can't hear any audio from the camera in the Firefox browser from my PC or when using IDMSS iOS app on my phone? It has a mic built in so should work? Is there a setting I am missing? Thx for any help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to see the exact focal length? The slider in the web interface goes from 0-1400 ...
I mean if I wanted to use this camera as a template for buying non-motorized Dahua models in the future? Or will I just have to make a ballpark estimate here?
@bjornhallberg I want to do the same. Assuming the slider is on a linear scale and because it is in 20 unit step increments, this is what I'm rounding to:

Slider @ 0 = 2.7mm
Slider @ 20 = 2.8mm
Slider @ 140 = 3.6mm
Slider @ 500 = 6mm
Slider @ 1400 = 12mm

Everyone, do these pics and mm focal length approximation look right from my test rig in the boy's room?

Attachments

Spudz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You should be fine. The Dahua will tilt up way above 90. I can zoom 25x and tilt up all the way and look at nothing but blue sky.
Have you tried IE (Internet Explorer)?

The latest FF 53.0.3 did not like the pluggin for me.
I have not, because I am purposely running FF 51.0.1 version which works perfect with all my Dahua cams. I had issues with newer version of FF browser also, so would not think it is that? Doesn't work on iOS iDMSS app either? Is audio working for you on IE or the iDMSS app?

Spudz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I ended up getting audio to work on the iDMSS app. I noticed in the camera interface only Main Stream audio was enabled. I enabled the Sub Stream Audio and now have audio on the iDMSS app, however I get this weird static sound that goes in and out every few seconds? Happy to have audio now but not sure there is intermittent static? Has anyone else experienced this?

Still no audio on FF browser though on either stream...

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I pulled the following screen-grab straight from the manual for the HDW5231R-Z. It looks like there should be an option for Relay Out...

A lot of camera manufacturers don't make a unique manual per model. They make one manual that covers the features of all/most of their cameras and you have to know which features your camera has/doesn't have.

Relay (alarm) out requires a separate cable on the pigtail that comes out of the camera. The 5231 turret doesn't have it. I think the Starlight bullet does.

TheSuperServer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm having an issue with this camera. I have it set to a schedule and don't need the IR on at night however no matter what I do it keeps turning on. I need black and white mode with no IR. I have the scheduling set correct and have IR set to off for my night profile but it turns on anyway. Any suggestions would be great. Below is my firmware version.

FoulFoot

n3wb
Reaction score
Two points:

-- Your firmware is almost a year old. There have been multiple updates since; I'd suggest updating.

-- To confirm your profile is correct:
- Under Camera, Conditions, you set your Night profile / IR light to OFF
- Under Camera, Profile Management, Profile management is set to Schedule, with correct time periods set for Day/Night

If your profile is correct, I suspect updating the firmware will fix your issue (after you update, confirm all your settings, because sometimes they reset).

Foul

l4cky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
can anyone tell me what angle should i draw in a 2d map for this camera coverage?

motef

n3wb
Reaction score
So i just connected up my IPC-HDW5231R-Z in BlueIris and it is in monochrome during the day?

How do i change this?

Juppers

n3wb
Reaction score
I ended up getting audio to work on the iDMSS app. I noticed in the camera interface only Main Stream audio was enabled. I enabled the Sub Stream Audio and now have audio on the iDMSS app, however I get this weird static sound that goes in and out every few seconds? Happy to have audio now but not sure there is intermittent static? Has anyone else experienced this?

Still no audio on FF browser though on either stream...
Turn off the noise filter under setup/audio and see if the static is still there. It could be a result of the noise filter trying to decide what is sound and what is background to be filtered. If it remains, look for things rubbing near the camera or wind hitting the mic funny.