Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm mounting camera to a ceiling but there's an overhang it can't see past, how can I lower it a bit? I have the PFA137 mount. Can I mount 2 of that mount together to lower it, or what's the best way?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

I have five 5231 turrets.

Two came from from DragonEye.
Three came from @EMPIRETECANDY.

All five are running the same firmware (2.460.Dahua 00.7.R, build: 2017-03-06)

The two from DragonEye don't report properly in Blue Iris:
Code:
Opening port 80...
HTTP Get / request...
OK
ONVIF GetSystemDateAndTime
2017-05-13T00:56:43.000Z
Requesting device information...
Bad response
The three from Andy report fine in Blue Iris:
Code:
Opening port 80...
HTTP Get / request...
OK
ONVIF GetSystemDateAndTime
2017-05-13T00:59:48.000Z
Requesting device information...
Manufacturer: Dahua
Model: IPC-HDW5231R-Z
FirmwareVersion: 2.460.Dahua 00.7.R, build: 2017-03-06
I don't know what the difference is. I've tried resetting the two from DragonEye, and even exporting a config from one of Andy's models and importing it, and they still act differently.

They also have serial numbers that start differently (3B vs 3A):

DragonEye:
3BPAA9DM4B1XXXX
3BPAA9DM4B1XXXX

Andy:
3APAA9DM428XXXX
3APAA9DM428XXXX
3APAA9DM428XXXX

Was curious if anyone else has a 5231 with a serial number that starts with 3B, or might have seen this situation before.

Are 3Bs a Chinese model that just reports back differently or something?

Thanks!
This was caused by the ONVIF passwords not matching what I had changed the admin 'user' password to. Not sure how they got mismatched on just the two cameras that didn't come from Andy, but now that they're all in sync, they query fine via ONVIF now.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know I saw a link for this camera's firmware, but I'm not finding it. Can anyone show me what thread it is in? I don't have a disk drive for my PC.

Kitsap

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know I saw a link for this camera's firmware, but I'm not finding it. Can anyone show me what thread it is in? I don't have a disk drive for my PC.
Go to the first post on page 1 in this thread. @nayr provided the links a few paragraphs after the first picture. Links are provided to both the NTSC and PAL updates. The links have been updated to the most recent version. My firmware update has a build date of 2017-03-06.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK...so I'm one of the fools who terminated cat6 RJ45's BEFORE inserting into the plastic waterproof connection connector....you think that Nashua Silicone tape from Home Depot around the connection will be good enough?
...my cams are all under eaves...using junction box OR PFB203w wall mounts...

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Get some report for the cam offline and keep booting. I want to know if this happens for users of HDW5231R-Z. I will check it tomorrow when we back from public holiday.
Can send message to me if meet this kind of prpblem and I will try to solve this problem asap.
Thanks!
Andy

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK...so I'm one of the fools who terminated cat6 RJ45's BEFORE inserting into the plastic waterproof connection connector....you think that Nashua Silicone tape from Home Depot around the connection will be good enough?
You aren't the first one in that situation to use that tape. Haven't read any reports of it failing, so hopefully that's a good sign.

3-phase

n3wb
Reaction score
Get some report for the cam offline and keep booting. I want to know if this happens for users of HDW5231R-Z. I will check it tomorrow when we back from public holiday.
Can send message to me if meet this kind of prpblem and I will try to solve this problem asap.
Thanks!
Andy
I have 14 of these cameras in my system and all are stable. No issues here.

JSec

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks!
Andy
Here's what happened with the two I got from you Andy. One works flawlessly and is currently watching the driveway. The other one - when I would plug it into the POE switch it would show a POE power light but never a link light. Someone on the forum suggested doing a factory reset by holding down the reset button while plugging it in. That actually worked - I thought I had it fixed.

I put the camera on my test bench and started configuring it. Everything was fine until I went to use the zoom in. I zoomed in and the camera immediately went offline. I tried again to reset it but it what dead at that point and its now on its way back to you.

~J

LandofTomorrow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You aren't the first one in that situation to use that tape. Haven't read any reports of it failing, so hopefully that's a good sign.
I had a professional installer team install 6 of these cams this weekend. All are in soffits under the roof. When I was clearing the boxes today, i found in the boxes these tubular plastic pieces. Are these what you are referring to? It looks like the installer never used them! As i recollect him telling me that as the cams are in soffits, there wasnt a chance of water getting up underneath them and so he didnt put into paste/putty. But after finding these pieces today, I wonder... What are your thoughts? Are they critical in my setting? Thank you.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My soffits all perforated (to allow air flow), so if I pressure wash my house, I'm pretty sure I can get some water splashed up in mine. Probably be a shot in a million to short one of the cameras out, but ... I'm also in a super humid area (summer-time, anyways), so I used those pieces on mine.

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had a professional installer team install 6 of these cams this weekend. All are in soffits under the roof. When I was clearing the boxes today, i found in the boxes these tubular plastic pieces. Are these what you are referring to? It looks like the installer never used them! As i recollect him telling me that as the cams are in soffits, there wasnt a chance of water getting up underneath them and so he didnt put into paste/putty. But after finding these pieces today, I wonder... What are your thoughts? Are they critical in my setting? Thank you.
i did not use them.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is the firmware on the first page the most current still for this camera? I'm about to update all of mine.

LandofTomorrow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My soffits all perforated (to allow air flow), so if I pressure wash my house, I'm pretty sure I can get some water splashed up in mine. Probably be a shot in a million to short one of the cameras out, but ... I'm also in a super humid area (summer-time, anyways), so I used those pieces on mine.
i did not use them.
Thank you