Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Can anyone explain how to use the weather sealing part that comes with the PFA137 mount please?

Oh nice, this came with the bracket? I thought I'll have to buy it as an extra.
So screw one of the caps (below in the picture) out of your bracket D, then screw A into the hole, fix it from the inside with C, then put B over your Cat. cable and stick the cable through A into D. Then you can fix the cable with B. Then of course you'll need the weatherproof plastic which came with your camera. Put the things on the cable, crimp your RJ45 jack onto your cable, plug it into your cam and close the weatherproof connection kit. Then you could loosen B a bit to adjust the length of your Cat. cable in the bracket. Tighten B and that's it.
This camera is a turret type.

This junction box won't be waterproof with this camera installed on it.

There still opening around the turret where water can get into the junction box, if you want it to be waterproof then you need to find a lid for the junction box and install the turret on top of the lid but you will have to find a way to seal the Ethernet cable thorough the lid into the junction box

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This camera is a turret type.

This junction box won't be waterproof with this camera installed on it.

There still opening around the turret where water can get into the junction box, if you want it to be waterproof then you need to find a lid for the junction box and install the turret on top of the lid but you will have to find a way to seal the Ethernet cable thorough the lid into the junction box
Can he use caulk to seal in the holes?
I did it with my birdhouse cam.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Can he use caulk to seal in the holes?
I did it with my birdhouse cam.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk
It not a hole but yes he can caulk around the whole turret to seal it in if he able to do it neatly without getting it on the lens.

After caulking, he wont be able to do any more adjustment so he would need to make sure it it final and I mean really final adjustment before caulking it in. If he needs to adjust it again then he will have to break the caulk and clean it up to adjust it and re-caulk it.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
It not a hole but yes he can caulk around the whole turret to seal it in if he able to do it neatly without getting it on the lens.

After caulking, he wont be able to do any more adjustment so he would need to make sure it it final and I mean really final adjustment before caulking it in. If he needs to adjust it again then he will have to break the caulk and clean it up to adjust it and re-caulk it.
I would still go with the lid method, it easy and clean also allow the camera to be fully adjustable at any time.

Just get a either 1/16 or 1/8 solid plastic sheet and use the junction box to make an outline on the plastic. Cut out the outline and use turret mount to mark the screw holes and drill out the holes.

Then you will need to drill a 3/4 hole in center of the lid to run the Ethernet cable thru it.

Either seal center hole with silicone II chalk or use a rubber grommet to seal it up. You can check my surveillance build thread in installation forum on how I sealed my Ethernet cable thru the wall.

Just screw the turret down to the junction box with the lid in between. There no need to chalk the lid since the junction box already have a rubber seal around it.

Adjust turret and lock it down with security screw. It should be fully weather proofed or hose down proof too

Sixto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have one 5231 and one NVR5216 arriving on Monday thanks to this thread. :)
Trying to decide on what Purple drive to order.
To start I'll be playing with one 5231 but I expect to add another 3-5 more cameras once I get this all working well.
I'd like to record all cameras 24/7, but might have a few with more quality then others.
What's a good rule of thumb for storage use per camera per day?
I'm assuming H.265, seems like I'll use somewhere between 15-25 FPS.

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'd like to record all cameras 24/7, but might have a few with more quality then others.
What's a good rule of thumb for storage use per camera per day?
I'm assuming H.265, seems like I'll use somewhere between 15-25 FPS.
With Blue Iris, I have (7) 1080p cameras recording continuously and I am getting about 12 days of footage on a 2TB purple drive at around 25 FPS. Not sure if that is typical or not.

Actually I just checked and it is only using about 900GB. I probably need to make sure I am not artificially limiting my storage. That's a data point.

Sixto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. I also found a few calculators on the web, and a Dahua tool but I'm on a Mac.

Thinking I may go with a 6TB, though 4TB is probably enough.

And special thanks to nayr for this thread, have learned a lot reading through 138 pages.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With Blue Iris, I have (7) 1080p cameras recording continuously and I am getting about 12 days of footage on a 2TB purple drive at around 25 FPS. Not sure if that is typical or not.

Actually I just checked and it is only using about 900GB. I probably need to make sure I am not artificially limiting my storage. That's a data point.
That's with H.265? Hows your CPU usage?

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks. I also found a few calculators on the web, and a Dahua tool but I'm on a Mac.

Thinking I may go with a 6TB, though 4TB is probably enough.

And special thanks to nayr for this thread, have learned a lot reading through 138 pages.
Buy the biggest purple u can afford.
Up to 6 TB that is. The 5216 max size is 12TB (2x6). I like to figure 1.25 TB per cam for 30 days of recording, but it depends on how much history you are looking for, how much data and how good that data is? Usually, 10 days of history is enough for an incident. The sweet spot in regards to $/TB for WD Purples is 3 TB and above. All ~$34/TB. They used to be $32.5/TB, but have gone up since I bought them all from Newegg! : ) Honestly, I have grabbed (14x) 4TB's of them in the last two months!

There are so many factors that affect the storage. Compression codec, resolution, sub streams (and # of), FPS, bit rate, audio, audio codec, audio sampling rate, humidity, etc.

My real world specs (so many!):

NVR5216
(2x) 4TB WD Purple (8TB)
(6x) Cams at 1080P Main Streams in H.265
All 6 at 20 FPS
All 6 CBR at 4096
All 6 recording G117a Audio at 16K
3 recording 720P Sub Streams in H.265
CBR for 720p Sub Streams is 2048
3 recording D1 Sub Streams in H.265
CBR for D1 Sub Streams is 1024
All Subs recording G117a Audio at 8K
Humidity at 50%

30 Days of history configured as above.

Hope this helps.

SD

Sixto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Up to 6 TB that is...
Why the sub-streams?

I'm probably going with the 6TB.

The PFB203W just arrived from Amazon, NVR & 5231 arrive Monday.

Can the 5231 be powered directly with a power supply without any other wire adaptors? I ordered the CMVision power adaptor recommended here, will arrive mid-week. Haven't decided yet on which POE switch.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why the sub-streams?

I'm probably going with the 6TB.

The PFB203W just arrived from Amazon, NVR & 5231 arrive Monday.

Can the 5231 be powered directly with a power supply without any other wire adaptors? I ordered the CMVision power adaptor recommended here, will arrive mid-week. Haven't decided yet on which POE switch.
Sub streams are what show on the NVR tiled camera display, and also on the DMSS app, but is selectable on the app and Web Service log in. When viewing all 6 cams from outside my network over the internet, I choose the sub streams to view as it can get slow to respond viewing the main streams. YMMV, depending on how robust your internet connection is at the cams or your viewing location's pipe, along with your cell service provider.

I'd get the 6 TB too now, as it used to be a lot more expensive per TB than the 4. I can always change mine out and use the 4 TB on another install for a lesser camera setup.

Any 12v/1A power supply with a 2.1/5.5mm jack will power the 5231. Actually my preferred way as it keeps the cams IP address on my home subnet, and not 10.1.1.x (default) when plugged in to the NVR.

SD

HalfMoon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Up to 6 TB that is. The 5216 max size is 12TB (2x6). I like to figure 1.25 TB per cam for 30 days of recording, but it depends on how much history you are looking for, how much data and how good that data is? Usually, 10 days of history is enough for an incident. The sweet spot in regards to $/TB for WD Purples is 3 TB and above. All ~$34/TB. They used to be $32.5/TB, but have gone up since I bought them all from Newegg! : ) Honestly, I have grabbed (14x) 4TB's of them in the last two months!

There are so many factors that affect the storage. Compression codec, resolution, sub streams (and # of), FPS, bit rate, audio, audio codec, audio sampling rate, humidity, etc.

My real world specs (so many!):

NVR5216
(2x) 4TB WD Purple (8TB)
(6x) Cams at 1080P Main Streams in H.265
All 6 at 20 FPS
All 6 CBR at 4096
All 6 recording G117a Audio at 16K
3 recording 720P Sub Streams in H.265
CBR for 720p Sub Streams is 2048
3 recording D1 Sub Streams in H.265
CBR for D1 Sub Streams is 1024
All Subs recording G117a Audio at 8K
Humidity at 50%

30 Days of history configured as above.

Hope this helps.

SD
Hmm, I think I may have grossly over estimated my HDD space requirements and bought too many drives.

Reaction score
Received my two cams today, they work great bench testing! Nice solid metal build quality, they make my Foscam units feel like toys.

Does anyone know the connection profile/scheme for viewing these cams in Live Cams Pro on iOS? They do not show up when performing an auto scan and none of the 5 Dahua specific camera profiles seem to work when I try and set up manually.

Conversely, I am able to view them on Tiny Cams Pro on android easily. It auto discovered them as a generic Onvif "Profile S" device (http port 80, rstp over tcp, rtsp port 554) and worked. I was also able to manually set it up as a Dahua model IPC-HDW4431C-A with the same settings. Datapoint - the Onvif Profile S allows for zoom control whereas the Dahua model profile I listed does not.
Played around a bit more with Live Cams Pro and found the Dahua does show up on the auto scan but pops up with an "Amcrest Profile 1" profile. I have some Amcrest cams so must have missed it the first go round. Works just fine, except for zoom control.