Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Doolally

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @EMPIRETECANDY Got my two 5231s today.
I flashed "DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_EngSpn_N_Stream3_V2.460.0000.7.R.20170306" on them. Is this still the latest firmware or is there a newer one that fixes the constant rebooting issues some have seen when connected to the internet?
Yes sir re-flashed 6 of them last night with that FW (all local lan NO INTERNET ACCESS)

Doolally

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
These Cameras fuckin kick ass BTW blown away after only having them on for 24 hours
Thank you @nayr and @fenderman for the recommendation and guidance

Guys now I have my cams in and ready to crank up the quality, my switch can handle it and want to see what storage it chomps through, what would be the highest settings recommend for the best quality bitrate etc without crippling the cam, Can I increase to H.265 also Increase Audio?

What settings should be focused on just for sheer quality of the audio and video with bandwidth or saturation of the network not an issue

Thanks In advance

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These Cameras fuckin kick ass BTW blown away after only having them on for 24 hours
Thank you @nayr and @fenderman for the recommendation and guidance

Guys now I have my cams in and ready to crank up the quality, my switch can handle it and want to see what storage it chomps through, what would be the highest settings recommend for the best quality bitrate etc without crippling the cam, Can I increase to H.265 also Increase Audio?

What settings should be focused on just for sheer quality of the audio and video with bandwidth or saturation of the network not an issue

Thanks In advance
15fps is plenty in majority is situations. Then Max out the bit rate.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
For the members from EU, please be really mentioned to use the Free tax way. Some guy paid 50usd more tax for a single cam, so better to mention to use free tax way,@Crazykiller he bought many times, and normally no tax issues. He is in DE.Thank you guys, just want to help you guys save some money.

jr4net

n3wb
Reaction score
Can I add a external bullet Mic to HDW5231r-z, or bullet mic only can be add the (bullet HFW5231E-E5) , I am try to get better quality with a power mic.
Can I just run another Cat5 to the HDW5231 to power the mic??

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can I add a external bullet Mic to HDW5231r-z, or bullet mic only can be add the (bullet HFW5231E-E5) , I am try to get better quality with a power mic.
Can I just run another Cat5 to the HDW5231 to power the mic??
Not that I'm aware of. Camera has an RJ-45 waterproof female connector, and a 12V 2.1mm/5mm power connector.

Get the HDBW5231R-Z if you want to connect an external mic, and can protect the plexiglass dome from direct sunlight.

SD

Doolally

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So far so good guys very impressed, No NVR just BI Dell SFF with 8Gb ram, 48Port POE switch, still tweaking the Motion detection and playing with various settings I want another cam for the door specifically right above it

Attachments

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How do I install the microSD card? I remember a thread that explained for the HDW and HFW but now I can't find it. Also, is there a way to search within a specific thread? Also trying to get IVS working but this thread is now 140 pages!

HalfMoon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How do I install the microSD card? I remember a thread that explained for the HDW and HFW but now I can't find it. Also, is there a way to search within a specific thread? Also trying to get IVS working but this thread is now 140 pages!
You have to unscrew the three phillips head screws that keep the camera enclosure sealed. Then, on the circuit board inside you will see the MicroSD slot.

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, I saw the pic on Page 1. I already have it taken apart. I see the SD card slot, but am I suppose to just slide card in or am I suppose to somehow flip up that cover. I remember another thread where he detail the different cameras and I think I recall something about how some you just slide in the card in and others it looks like you slide it in but you really have to flip up a cover.

HalfMoon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, I saw the pic on Page 1. I already have it taken apart. I see the SD card slot, but am I suppose to just slide card in or am I suppose to somehow flip up that cover. I remember another thread where he detail the different cameras and I think I recall something about how some you just slide in the card in and others it looks like you slide it in but you really have to flip up a cover.
It just slides in and will "click" into place. Push down and let go to release/eject the card.

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks! It does finally click. I just didn't want to risk breaking anything. Long trip back if I did.

BTW, does anybody recall that other thread?