Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

japjoe7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No MD turned on nor recording. I thought the same thing and if it is turned off and still showing those blocked then something is screwed up.

I'm on the firmware that Nayr posted. Is there a newer one now? I may just upgrade it again, restrore and see if that helps. Sooo annoying.
Ok, so I end up setting everything back to defaults, tweaking a few settings, and formatting the card and it's been stables for 3 days now. I'll play with it a little more to see if any changes I make going forward will cause the same issue I had before. knock on wood.

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
its worth every dollar of $170, as soon as I can get my hands on the bullet version of this with external audio and alarm IO I have 2 4MP Dahuas that will be replaced after only a few months.. they are that good.. turrets are hard to get with wide optic ranges, so the varifocal makes this a king among turrets.

next year's bonus might be spent on a black face starlight ptz :D
Which cam are you suggesting exactly.... I see one of the stills pulled from a night-shot labeled "Dahua 2MP Starlight Varifocal @ Half Zoom" that looks very good at night.... what model is that exactly? And do you still like that one?

Thanks,

Robert

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Which cam are you suggesting exactly.... I see one of the stills pulled from a night-shot labeled "Dahua 2MP Starlight Varifocal @ Half Zoom" that looks very good at night.... what model is that exactly? And do you still like that one?

Thanks,

Robert
The model that is the title of this thread, and four in my Sig. Still the cam to beat. Author of t h at post hasn't been around lately.

nynaz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, I need some advice i'm very interested in buying two IPC-HDW5231R-Z. I currently have Four CMIP3042-28 IP Cameras and LTN8708-P8 NVR from LTSsecurities , I need to add two more cams so does anyone know if the IPC-HDW5231R-Z Cams will be compatible with the LTS NVR or will i have too many issues that it wont be worth buying? also is there a better option for me in regards to adding maybe a Hikvision ipcam that is as good as the IPC-HDW5231R-Z?

Thanks for any info.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all, I need some advice i'm very interested in buying two IPC-HDW5231R-Z. I currently have Four CMIP3042-28 IP Cameras and LTN8708-P8 NVR from LTSsecurities , I need to add two more cams so does anyone know if the IPC-HDW5231R-Z Cams will be compatible with the LTS NVR or will i have too many issues that it wont be worth buying? also is there a better option for me in regards to adding maybe a Hikvision ipcam that is as good as the IPC-HDW5231R-Z?

Thanks for any info.
Basic functions would work but the IVS functions like line crossing, intrusion, and such wouldn't work.

nynaz

n3wb
Reaction score
Basic functions would work but the IVS functions like line crossing, intrusion, and such wouldn't work.
really? man that maybe be a deal breaker for me as i wanted to use these two in the front of my home but we'll see. do you know what Hikvision has that's equivalent to IPC-HDW5231R-Z?

BTW thanks for the quick reply

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
really? man that maybe be a deal breaker for me as i wanted to use these two in the front of my home but we'll see. do you know what Hikvision has that's equivalent to IPC-HDW5231R-Z?

BTW thanks for the quick reply
you'll get basic motion detection but I don't think the IVS functions will work with a Hikvision or LTS NVR. Your NVR may be able to do some of this image processing itself but afik it won't react to these events generated by the camera.

You can always wire up motion detectors to the NVR's alarm inputs, it's more reliable anyway.

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Would it not be optimal to utilize the IVS data from the camera via the NVR? Which NVRs would allow all of the cam detected events to be utilized?

R

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would it not be optimal to utilize the IVS data from the camera via the NVR? Which NVRs would allow all of the cam detected events to be utilized?
With traditional NVRs, Dahua's "IVS" (and Hikvision's "Smart Events") are brand specific, meaning the brand of the NVR needs to match the brand of the camera to utilize.

No technical reason for this, both companies offer an electronic interface on the cameras that lets anyone tap into those types of events. For example, the Blue Iris (NVR software that runs a PC) can tell when a Hikvision "Smart Event" is happening and start recording. I'm sure the author could make it work for Dahua IVS if he had the proper information (and motivation).

That's not the case with Motion Detection. You can mismatch NVR/camera brands with that. But for most people, it's impossible to tune Motion Detection to be as good (in terms of not "false alarming" frequently) as IVS.

merkaba

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This camera seems to no longer be available on the Dahua website. Is this still the best value camera to buy right now? I am planning on getting an 8 camera system with a 16 port NVR. This seems like a good option.

Last edited:

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes I have both enabled - at least I think I do and have restarted multiple times trying different settings
View attachment 15393
]
Saw this post while wading through this long post (awaiting delivery of the subject camera). If you change "Limit live preview rate (does not affect recording)" to something well below "30," you'll save cpu much more.

Disclaimer: This may have been addressed since ajax originally posted (post #2071).

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can this camera be used to identify an event, whether it be Intrusion, Tripwire or Motion Detection and then direct my Dahua Starlight PTZ SD59230U-HNI to the event? If not, what is it lacking that I might find in a different Dahua camera choice?

nynaz

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the replys and help to my post, i ordered two Cams and should be here monday afternoon.

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With traditional NVRs, Dahua's "IVS" (and Hikvision's "Smart Events") are brand specific, meaning the brand of the NVR needs to match the brand of the camera to utilize.

No technical reason for this, both companies offer an electronic interface on the cameras that lets anyone tap into those types of events. For example, the Blue Iris (NVR software that runs a PC) can tell when a Hikvision "Smart Event" is happening and start recording. I'm sure the author could make it work for Dahua IVS if he had the proper information (and motivation).

That's not the case with Motion Detection. You can mismatch NVR/camera brands with that. But for most people, it's impossible to tune Motion Detection to be as good (in terms of not "false alarming" frequently) as IVS.
So, would you recommend choosing a certain brand NVR/Cam and sticking with that and avoid mixing it up? What brand are you partial to?

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Understood, I was originally thinking that I would probably purchase a kit to get me started where the NVR and 4-8 cams come in a bundle like Swann or something. Yet, now I'm thinking that it would be cheaper to choose each item separately and I bet Swann is just a repackaged components from Hikvision and/or Dahua or as one guy said "CRAP". Also, it seems that it's a HikVision/Dahua world is striking a balance between quality and economy....