Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

mastarpaster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I want to buy this camera but I have a question. The 5231 serie have all the same sensor and processor right? It just changes the case and vari focal or fixed lens right?

Inviato dal mio SM-G930F utilizzando Tapatalk

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I want to buy this camera but I have a question. The 5231 serie have all the same sensor and processor right? It just changes the case and vari focal or fixed lens right?

Yes, as far as we know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mastarpaster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your quick reply. On aliexpress there is the bullet vari focal one for 105 euro which I think is very good

mastarpaster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, so far, this is absolutely the very best ip camera for low light right?

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your quick reply. On aliexpress there is the bullet vari focal one for 105 euro which I think is very good

Just make sure you purchase from EmpireTec (aka Andy). Search this thread for the word "notes" and only for my username, and you will find the specific purchase information for Andy.

Mark

mastarpaster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just make sure you purchase from EmpireTec (aka Andy). Search this thread for the word "notes" and only for my username, and you will find the specific purchase information for Andy.

Mark

Ok i will check now. Does he have a website?

Jinx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, so far, this is absolutely the very best ip camera for low light right?
No, it's the generally considered the best budget, or bang for buck, low light camera.

Dahau do a similar but more expensive version, but only you will know if it's worth the premium. Plenty of far higher priced cameras avalible too.

If link works I believe this would be considered, next step up, perhaps an experienced user can confirm?....
Dahua 2MP WDR IR Bullet Starlight Network Camera IPC HFW8231E Z5, Free DHL Shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Last edited:

mastarpaster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No, it's the generally considered the best budget, or bang for buck, low light camera.

Dahau do a similar but more expensive version, but only you will know if it's worth the premium. Plenty of far higher priced cameras avalible too.

If link works I believe this would be considered, next step up, perhaps an experienced user can confirm?....
Dahua 2MP WDR IR Bullet Starlight Network Camera IPC HFW8231E Z5, Free DHL Shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Thanks for tu reply! Is there any better low light camera in the 250usd range?

Jinx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry I'm in UK, that one I linked is £250 from Andy without discount, not sure what that is in dollars?

I don't think there is anything inbetween, you might get similar low light but better resolution with the Hik low light cams, not sure what the price is on these, Andy only lists Dahau. I'd prob just stick with this one in this thread tbh.

mastarpaster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Link is not working...

Jinx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Works fine here!?

If not, model number is in link text ;)

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting, that was your experience, because when I captured this image of the default settings, Motion Detection was not enabled in Setup > Event > Video Detection > Motion Detection

View attachment 21184

You don't need motion detection enable to use the iVS trigger, you just need to enable the motion scheduling to activate the IVS trigger in the camera. I believe it a bug or the developer took a shortcut and added IVS and Motion together in scheduling on the camera. On the NVR, the IVS have it own scheduling which is color orange.

But I thought they added both IVS and Alarm together, maybe it was motion ... I couldn't remember but I am glad that the other poster was able to find it and get it working thou.

Bill

Ishaq Mir

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi everyone

This camera is great in the day and also fantastic at night where I have installed it on my drive way, but I'm having so much difficulty with motion blur at night. I have tried to minimize it by increasing shutter speed to 1/120 and increasing gain to 0-80 but still not happy although blur is a lot less. As soon as I stand still the image becomes very clear of the face. But if I start walking I get soft focus. Any suggestions? Or am I expecting too much?

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi everyone

This camera is great in the day and also fantastic at night where I have installed it on my drive way, but I'm having so much difficulty with motion blur at night. I have tried to minimize it by increasing shutter speed to 1/120 and increasing gain to 0-80 but still not happy although blur is a lot less. As soon as I stand still the image becomes very clear of the face. But if I start walking I get soft focus. Any suggestions? Or am I expecting too much?
Hi, this is a problem sadly, you will need to push that shutter up to at least 1/500 to freeze motion at night depending on the speed of the moving object, for people you might get away with 1/250 but for vehicles likely the 1/500 will be better. Even during the day I run mine at 1/1000, sadly at night with between 1/250 and 1/500 this means the image will be a lot darker, without spending a lot more money the only way around this is artificial light from floodlight or similar. Out of the box these camera's have no where near fast enough shutter speed settings, it has always been the case with cctv kit, analogue or otherwise. See how you get on but there isn't really any good news here at night when relying only on infrared illumination. For better low light the answer is IPC-HFW8232E-Z, not cheap but larger sensor equals more light. Lots of sample images and clips at night don't show

MarkTG

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Try turning down (or disabling entirely) 3D noise reduction - 3D noise reductions combines multiple images to reduce noise, but has the downside of causing motion blur even when the shutter speed is set high enough that motion blur shouldn't be occurring.

Ishaq Mir

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Many thanks for the useful replies, I'll try these tips tonight. Hoping I don't have too much of an issue because my drive way is not pitch black. The council installed a new LED street lamp which just happens to be very close to my drive and is very bright white light.

I do have a 50w LED flood light too, which is connected to the intrusion detectors.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Try turning down (or disabling entirely) 3D noise reduction - 3D noise reductions combines multiple images to reduce noise, but has the downside of causing motion blur even when the shutter speed is set high enough that motion blur shouldn't be occurring.
Great point, any kind of sharpening or noise reduction can cause issues, recommend sharpening down to zero or below 10 and noise reduction similar. I tend to run sharpening on zero and noise reduction 5-15 depending on conditions and lighting.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Many thanks for the useful replies, I'll try these tips tonight. Hoping I don't have too much of an issue because my drive way is not pitch black. The council installed a new LED street lamp which just happens to be very close to my drive and is very bright white light.

I do have a 50w LED flood light too, which is connected to the intrusion detectors.
Can be quite a lot of trial and error setting these up, interested to see how you get on, hopefully some improvements can be made.

Last edited:

ndstate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried this out with my camera in my garage, as it is easy to get to, and I had a spare piece of weatherstripping. I had to remove the "spine" as that prevents it from bending easily. The result is "meh", but to be honest, I spent about three minutes total on this.

Here are the relevant photos.
Why are you doing this? Are you worried about water or something?