Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Quick question about this camera. I live in an area that is very well lit up at night. There is really no place you cant see due to the ambient light. Im in the middle of a big city with commercial area behind, street lights and etc. . Does the starlight version offer any real advantage if theres plenty of ambient light? I know it will be good, but Ive read in here is similar to another Dahua turret when theres plenty of IR.
If you really have lot of ambient lighting in your area, you probably even leave it in daylight mode all time and get full color at night.

Bill

condor11

n3wb
Reaction score
I am seriously considering the IPC-HDW5231R-Z discussed here.
I've already got Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P NVR, (just recently bought it, probably didn't do enough research to see if Dahua's are better...)

Is there any reason likelyhood the camera will NOT work with this NVR?

Spudz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've already got Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P NVR, (just recently bought it, probably didn't do enough research to see if Dahua's are better...)

IMHO you are better off to find a buyer for the Hikvision NVR and get a Dahua NVR if you want to use these cams for anything other then 24/7 recording. You will have to set them up as ONVIF with the Hik NVR and then won't be able to use the IVS features.

bvo

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, I paid the invoice from @EMPIRETECANDY over the weekend and I have the cameras in hand Thursday afternoon. Holy cow that was fast. I'm in the process of testing them and configuring them but so far so good. Is it recommended that I flash the firmware before I start or did Andy do that already? In the web console, it looks like the generic IPCamera setup (i.e. no Dahua branding at all).

EDIT: Thanks for the prompt service Andy

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just a quick comment from someone who barely has any time with this camera and Blue iris... First of all I was lucky enough to pickup 5 brand new dahua cams, 1 used Dahua and 2 used Hikvision cams off craigslist. I also bought a single IPC-HDW5231R-Z to try out. So far in placing the cameras around the 5231R-Z is definitely a great all around camera, especially at night, and is better in almost every aspect. If you have a dark area, and in my case its an ally, that you need to light up this camera performs. Im picking up another for a similar spot. The camera is overkill for a spot that doesnt need IR or good resolution. In my case its simply to look at 2 garage doors to confirm they are closed when not home..nothing else. Even so, this camera has audio, varifocal, great IR and great resolution. For the price its just an awesome package although I couldnt afford 9 of these. Its gotta be the best bang for the buck camera there is right now..unless theres another?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score

I have the exact same setup and the camera works just fine with my Hikvision NVR. My two Hikvision NVRs have been pretty solid with no problems at all.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have the exact same setup and the camera works just fine with my Hikvision NVR. My two Hikvision NVRs have been pretty solid with no problems at all.
Works just fine meaning it'll record the video, yes. But don't expect to get any advanced features like IVS to work.

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying two of these cameras for external use on the front and back of my house. I wanted to use my HP microserver but i realise its not good enough to run Blue Iris. Would people recommended i get a NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2 NVR for $180 or get a refurbished i7 desktop? But If i buy the desktop (which will cost more) i also need to purchase POE switch and blu iris. Apologise if this posted in the correct place im new.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think you find opinions for both options, and it will come down to personal preference and/or future plans. BI will provide more flexibility to mix-and-match cameras from different brands, but I think the Dahua NVR's can be more of a plug-and-play solution, assuming you don't get the POE version.

Hit the link in my signature for some information concerning BI and Dahua NVR's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

These days bit busy before holiday, we have a crazy long national holiday from Oct.1st to Oct.8th, and be back to work on 9th. During this time, can still process orders, right now the HDW5231R-Z still have 70pcs, so enough selling before we back i think. The new model IPC-HDW5231R-ZE dahua ready date is 30th, hope they can comes earlier. and this model we booked around 45days and still not ready, IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E we booked 2 month till now and told me again new delayed.
All model with ZE comes very slow, i think still at a trial production right now. Keep moving, lol~

Andy

japjoe7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys,

These days bit busy before holiday, we have a crazy long national holiday from Oct.1st to Oct.8th, and be back to work on 9th. During this time, can still process orders, right now the HDW5231R-Z still have 70pcs, so enough selling before we back i think. The new model IPC-HDW5231R-ZE dahua ready date is 30th, hope they can comes earlier. and this model we booked around 45days and still not ready, IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E we booked 2 month till now and told me again new delayed.
All model with ZE comes very slow, i think still at a trial production right now. Keep moving, lol~

Andy
ALWAYS appreciate the updates Andy!! Great work!

samys

n3wb
Reaction score
I have had just about enough using the Synology Nas as an NVR, one day working, the next not working, fixed one day, update the software, nothing works at all. Can you please recommend a good NVR, I have 2 5231's, might get a ZE soon. I have a NETGEAR GS308P 4 port Poe out of 8. Thank you.

Reaction score
I think you find opinions for both options, and it will come down to personal preference and/or future plans. BI will provide more flexibility to mix-and-match cameras from different brands, but I think the Dahua NVR's can be more of a plug-and-play solution, assuming you don't get the POE version.

Hit the link in my signature for some information concerning BI and Dahua NVR's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is the POE version not good?

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Am I the only one seeing pretty harsh compression when using these 2MP Starlight cameras in H264/5 even on high quality regardless of frame rate, detail is being lost and I would describe mainly snapshots but also video as looking almost like a watercolour painting, noticing on both IPC-HDW5231R-Z and SD49225T-HN, the latter allows MJPEG encoding and when using this you can see just how badly the detail is being knocked out in H264/5, hopefully this is something Dahua can remedy in firmware. Very clear that the H264/5 encoding is causing this, I should note that I've tested this on both Dahua NVR and Milestone.