Dahua zoom camera - need your help

fabads

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm building an IP cams surv system and I need your help to choose the right cam to keep a look on the path going to my house.
The cam will be fixed at the corner of my house (see the red point on the picture below). The path length is around 58 m (190ft).
I think I don't need a PTZ. Nevertheless, I'd like to recognize people at the gate. Maybe should I go to a cam able to zoom.

I already ordered a Dahua NVR (so would prefer to choose a Dahua cam or a compatible one if exists). I saw a varifocal lens 2.8 ~ 12 mm, but I think it's not enough.
What would be your suggestion ?

House.jpg

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the distance from the red dot to the gate?

If someone is inside a car on the ROAD SIDE of the gate, how can a camera mounted at the red dot location see through the gate and, through the windshield and into the car?

fabads

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
~58m (190ft) from the gate to the base of the red point. I don't need to go through the gate, but for example people looking at my house at the gate level or people entering on the way if the gate is open.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
12mm might cut it but will be wider than the gate. I would start with the 2.8mm to 12mm motorised zoom version of the Dahua cameras and see how that goes. If it's not enough then you can find somewhere else for that camera no problem.

fabads

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thx Del Boy, appreciated!
Which affordable model do you advise?

fabads

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you, I didn't know this serie. Nothing better than 2MP?
I already had a look on Huisun, but I don't know if this model is compatible with Dahua NVRs. And the reliability is a problem, you're right.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's 2MP Sony sensor, so IMO it's better than 3MP and 4MP cameras anyway especially at this range.

Check out @Q2U's sensor comparison thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Nevertheless, I'd like to recognize people at the gate.
I think you'd be better with a camera AT the gate instead of trying to achieve a telescopic view from the house at that distance.
The image quality will be much more usable, and more chance of seeing what might otherwise be hidden by the walls.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think you'd be better with a camera AT the gate instead of trying to achieve a telescopic view from the house at that distance.
The image quality will be much more usable, and more chance of seeing what might otherwise be hidden by the walls.
+1 on that suggestion, but two (2) camera at the gate.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
https://ipvm.com/calculator

The problem with 180ft is at that distance, if you use enough zoom.. your going to have problems with even a tiny amount of rain/snow/fog basically adding noise to the image.. and then there is trying to get enough light out that far away, its going to take alot of IR power to light up anything at night that far away.

what the OP wants is not reasonable for this location, dig a trench.. install a camera or two closer, one for license plates and the other for everything else.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just FYI...... I use an HDBW2300R-Z which is a Dahua 3MP motorized zoom (2.8mm to 12mm)

At 72' the view is 40' wide. With 12mm you can make out a face at about 40' or so. Good for a short driveway.. :)

It cost more but maybe (just my unprofessional opinion) something like a SD59430U-HN. (4MP 30x) (4.4mm-130mm) would work for that long 190' driveway.

SD59420U-HN is 20x version.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
https://ipvm.com/calculator

The problem with 180ft is at that distance, if you use enough zoom.. your going to have problems with even a tiny amount of rain/snow/fog basically adding noise to the image.. and then there is trying to get enough light out that far away, its going to take alot of IR power to light up anything at night that far away.

what the OP wants is not reasonable for this location, dig a trench.. install a camera or two closer, one for license plates and the other for everything else.
I've always wondered this myself but couldn't he put a remote IR illuminator at the gate? Would that help a camera 190' away. It looks like there might be power out there.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've always wondered this myself but couldn't he put a remote IR illuminator at the gate? Would that help a camera 190' away. It looks like there might be power out there.
The OP stated as the requirement the following...

...I'd like to recognize people at the gate...
IMO there is no way the member is going to achieve facial recognition at that distance, without spending a boatload of money on a very good camera. In addition, how on Earth is facial recognition going to be achieved at such a distance, especially considering that the face is standing on the far side of a gate and probably sitting in a vehicle...unless the Dahua MagicCam™ has finally been released. Har.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You'd need a good zoom for that distance and a high end camera. That's true. But my question is would an IR Illuminator at the gate help for a camera at the house...?

Just suppose he he got a PTZ 3 or 4 MP 30x zoom at the house...? If you zoom in to the subject would the remote IR Illuminator plugged in at the gate help any...?

fabads

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all your messages.
To be more precise, I envisage to install a door station at the gate (dahua has one with a 1.3MP cam) but I'm pretty sure it won't be able to record the whole zone (and not sure the cam able to record if door station not activated).

Regarding installing a cam, I could arrange to have power and network at entrance. But difficulty is more on installation. The wall is at the highest around 1.8m (6ft), so easily accessible. I cannot install on the stone poles.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
For 190-200 feet I'd get a 30x PTZ if I couldn't mount a cam at the gate. 1st choice is at least one at the gate, preferably two- one more or less straight on and one sideways into the driver's side window. The pic is of a car parked 135' away from a 51mm lensed 2mp PTZ camera at max zoom. Daytime will be better but won't help penetrating window glare which will be very troublesome, thus my two cameras at the gate recommendation. They'll still be subject to glare but will have a better chance of piercing it. And yes, locally mounted IR illuminators at the gate will help home-mounted cameras as well as ones close up. Light is light.

Cam12.20160725_225840.jpg

fabads

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wake up this thread, I installed my Dahua NVR and some ethernet cables on the roof of my house.
Considering my request and your comments, I'd probably go to a cam without PTZ ... (because of the money and reliability uncertainty of the cheapest models I considered such as Huisun, Sunba ...), or maybe install a fix lens for overview plus a mini ptz (or equivalent) to track details.