Darkfighter Cameras

lostdesign

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

New to the forum but have been lurking for a while research my IP camera setup! Have never had a camera setup but want one installed on our newly renovated home.

I live in a rural location with no lighting near by so ColorVu wont work for me as I don't want the white light on all night or a load of outdoor lights so have settled on powered by darkfighter cameras.

I plan to have 2 cameras on the front of the house, one 2.8mm to get a general overview of the drive and house front, and a 4mm to cover the door specifically.

My question is, which one of the following provides a better quality pic, the 4mp or 6mp? The sensor size is different in both but not sure if there is a way to calculate which will give a better pic? The price difference is very small so makes no odds.

DS-2CD2366G2-IU - 6mp
DS-2CD2346G2-IU - 4mp

Some of the local suppliers are also still supplying DS-2CD2365G1, I assume I am better off with the G2 version

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Darkfighter is simply a marketing term and means nothing.

None of the cameras you selected are on the ideal MP/sensor ratio, so since nighttime performance is your criteria, stick to proper MP/sensor ratios...

2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor or larger
4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor or larger
8MP on a 1/1.2" sensor or larger

So the 4MP you are looking at is on a 1/3" sensor, which means it will need more than double the light to produce the same image as a 2MP camera at night. A 2MP would blow it away all night long.

There are no cameras on the market of in between resolution (5MP, 6MP, etc.) that are on ideal MP/sensor ratios.

Sensor sizing can confuse a lot of people LOL.

It is simple division:

1 divided by 3 equals 0.333

1 divided by 2.8 equals 0.357

Is a 1/2.8" sensor bigger than a 1/1.8" sensor? Most people say yes LOL. But it is a fraction, so the 1/1.8" sensor is the bigger of the two. A 1/2.8" sensor is smaller than a 1/2.7" sensor.

This applies to camera sensors too LOL:

1657806112693.png

lostdesign

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and explanation.

I am just trying to buy the best I can for my situation and within the budget I have. I assume the IR is there to compensate for the lower sensor size, not ideal but it works on a lower cost camera.

I don't see any "ideal ratio" cameras avaible at my price point, so compromise is the game :D

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and explanation.

I am just trying to buy the best I can for my situation and within the budget I have. I assume the IR is there to compensate for the lower sensor size, not ideal but it works on a lower cost camera.

I don't see any "ideal ratio" cameras avaible at my price point, so compromise is the game :D
How about you state your realistic budget per camera and maybe the forum members might be able to help you out. It's easy for all of us to say buy this vs that but the reality is (IF) your budget is really limited. The best course of action is to either keep saving up or to simply buy a single good camera.

You can keep saving and buy another when your finances allow . . .

Going this route over the long run will save you money, time, and remove the What If. Nothing eats at a person more than What If I waited and bought the correct hardware the first go round. Because at some point in time you're going to replace those cheaper less capable ones with something better!

Makes very little sense going that route when the difference in most cases is just $75.XX. :thumb: