Dash Cam Recommendations for Blue Iris

Reaction score
Folks,

Been using Blue Iris for stationary cams for some time, and currently looking for recommendations for dash cams. Front side is main requirement, rear / driver's side would be nice-to-have's, looking for 1080P, 4K isn't necessary, but a possibility for anything that has integral compression. Doesn't have to be *great* in low-light or night, but at least having, say, a 15' clear view with headlights would be desirable to catch license plates, deer, etc.

The main feature that's hard to nail down is streaming; I'm ok with the option of video remaining on the device until it's in range of WiFi before it transmits, but it'd be nice to shoot back to BI via my cell connection (assuming reasonable bitrates set); there are a fair number of 3rd party apps but unsure what may be the optimal setup.

Ideally, I'd shoot my commutes to BI over cell using the cam or cell app as a buffer automatically, but have the option to store locally if I knew I needed a high-framerate / big filesize (or if the server was down), and just have it shoot over via WiFi later if needed.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have looked but not found anything in the dash camera area.
I was looking more for an automatic store and forward system, The camera records to the local SD card, then when home via wifi transfere it to the BI machine automatically.

Reaction score
I have looked but not found anything in the dash camera area.
I was looking more for an automatic store and forward system, The camera records to the local SD card, then when home via wifi transfere it to the BI machine automatically.
I'd be ok with store-and-forward too if that's all there was, or at least use one for backup vehicles

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if you can get a dashcam that automatically backs up everything wirelessly.

I do know you will have trouble getting BI to include recordings from a dashcam in its clip list. Even if you set up a fake cam in BI and had the dashcam name clips appropriately, you would have to rebuild the BI clip database in order to add them to the clip list, which is a very slow process that prevents new recordings from normal BI cams in the meantime.