Data usage

gdlmus

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all and everybody,

Just a basic question for which I have found contradictory answers over the net.

Does an IP camera connected to the Internet via a router (port forwarding activated),
NOT WiFi connected (motion trigger activated sometimes Yes sometimes No), does
such a camera generate data usage even if NO ONE is watching it (streaming)?

Meaning does that camera upload/download data just by the fact it is connected
to the Internet?

That question is because mister Comcast, my ISP, is stating that 4 such cameras
are using about 750GBs of data each month...! GBs NOT MBs :sad:

Thanks for any answer.

Regards.

-= Guy =-

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all and everybody,

Just a basic question for which I have found contradictory answers over the net.

Does an IP camera connected to the Internet via a router (port forwarding activated),
NOT WiFi connected (motion trigger activated sometimes Yes sometimes No), does
such a camera generate data usage even if NO ONE is watching it (streaming)?

Meaning does that camera upload/download data just by the fact it is connected
to the Internet?

That question is because mister Comcast, my ISP, is stating that 4 such cameras
are using about 750GBs of data each month...! GBs NOT MBs :sad:

Thanks for any answer.

Regards.

-= Guy =-
No there is no internet traffic if you are not actively viewing the cameras. Are you streaming the data to an outside location?

gdlmus

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman for your fast answer,

As said the four cameras are just connected to the Internet. On three of them motion sensor is activated.
My house keeper comes into this condo twice a month for a couple of hours, that generates about 100 emails.
100*115Ko == 11.5MBs
Otherwise NO ONE comes in this condo. It would trigger cams... :)

Besides that NO ONE watches these camera, except me, one camera, once a month for two minutes.

And again Comcast is stating that this generates 750GBs a month of data usage. Don't understand why.?

Regards.

-= Guy =-

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman for your fast answer,

As said the four cameras are just connected to the Internet. On three of them motion sensor is activated.
My house keeper comes into this condo twice a month for a couple of hours, that generates about 100 emails.
100*115Ko == 11.5MBs
Otherwise NO ONE comes in this condo. It would trigger cams... :)

Besides that NO ONE watches these camera, except me, one camera, once a month for two minutes.

And again Comcast is stating that this generates 750GBs a month of data usage. Don't understand why.?

Regards.

-= Guy =-
What brand of cameras?
Other possibilities, someone else is watching the cameras...depending on the model there are lots of cams with vulnerabities.
One of your neighbors is using your wifi to stream movies.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There are a couple of possibilities I can think of:

1) Comcast may be wrong about what is creating the data usage. How do they know it is cameras anyway? It could just as easily be a lot of torrenting or video streaming. I'm going to assume it is not this, as it sounds like your condo is unoccupied. Maybe the WiFi is being "borrowed" by a neighbor though?
2) Someone else might be watching your cameras -- maybe someone found your cameras open on the internet and linked them on his blog. LOL
3) The cameras may be streaming 24/7 to their manufacturer's website due to a configuration problem or maybe that is just how the manufacturer intended for them to work. If you let us know what cameras you have, we may be able to rule this out.

Last edited:

gdlmus

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, Thanks all for the answers.

To Fenderman:
What brand of cameras?
Other possibilities, someone else is watching the cameras...depending on the model there are lots of cams with vulnerabities.
One of your neighbors is using your wifi to stream movies.
Cameras are Foscam, one is : FI9900P, another FI8910W and two are FI8918W
Cameras have login and complex password
My WiFi has a very complicated password WAP2

To bp2008:

Comcast knows it may be cameras as long as I told them that I was NOT in town and that the ONELY
things connected to the Internet were these cameras. Not even a PC or a tablet hooked up. NOTHING...
As said WiFi hacking... good luck with my complex WAP2 password.... :) I doubt, but why not...?
Your 2) As you say LOL, realy no interest to watch a kitchen stove or a dinner table all day long.
Your 3) That is an interesting question and on that point I have no clue whatsoever.

Again guys, thanks for your help.

Regards.

-= Guy =-

PS: I you need nothing you may always call thech support at Foscam. They barely speak english
and absolutely do not know what they are speaking about.

PS 2: I just installed a WiFi analyser on my smartphone... NO WiFi Hacker nearby...

Last edited by a moderator:

dathoang

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you check with Comcast that 750GB is downlink or uplink? If it is downlink, then someone is tapping in your line.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I know, Foscam cameras do not and never have streamed out to their manufacturer's servers, so that probably isn't it.

Foscams have many well-known security vulnerabilities, so someone intent on getting in could probably find a way. But 750GB of bandwidth that can't be accounted for is a bit excessive even if random strangers are viewing your cameras; as you say an empty house isn't going to hold attention for long.

By any chance can your router show you realtime or logged traffic statistics? That would really help find the culprit. If someone is borrowing your wifi despite your encryption, there might also be a log of their accesses.

gdlmus

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks a lot for the help. I definitely did learn things.

PS 2: I just installed a WiFi analyser on my smartphone... NO WiFi Hacker nearby...:)
That will not tell you if someone is using your connection.
fenderman: Yes it should as long as it gives me the list of ALL devices connected
to my WiFi network. IP, MAC address etc,

bp2008: I agree with all you say. The log file of my router gives only the actual day.

The only skwak I found on my side was that the router port forwarding system was
no longer effective. Impossible to connect to router AND cameras remotely.
I upgraded firmware and every thing is back in order.
This fact should have normally prohibited any king of streaming of data. Or may be
on the contrary it triggerred a permanent data flow...!!!???

Anyway I will solve this Comcast problem by installing an 24/7 PC with BlueIris and
deactivate the port forwardings.

Now for every one to know: Between two locations, one in the US, one in France.
I use 5 different ISPs.
Well Comcast is a winner: Most expensive, not the fastest and the ONLY one that
has a data cap
. AT&T does not.
Also, it took four month to Comcast to advise me that I was over usage...
In France we pay for ADSL or cable $30.00 max (All taxes included). That includes
telephone unlimited almost worldwide and TV over 100 channels and of course
unlimited Internet.

Again thanks guys. Regards.

-= Guy =-

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wifi analyzer on your smart phone wont detect a Wifi hacker.. *shakes head* zero chance in hell.

change all your WiFi passwords asap, use a VPN to view your cameras so you can ensure your the only one using the network.

foscams are very easy to hack, your complex password is meaningless.. there are easier ways to bypass that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That will only tell you if the person is actively connected when you test. What you need to do is monitor the connection and determine what is causing the issue.