Day/Night Mode?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
should I fill all 16 POE ports on the NVR with cams and then just connect my 8 port POE switch to the rest of the network via a patch cable ran to from a port on the POE switch to router, etc?
Yes, this is what you must do. 16 cameras on the NVR PoE ports, and the remaining cameras on the same LAN segment as the NVR LAN port.
The NVR PoE ports will only allow connection of a single camera per port.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't believe this is always true. If memory serves me correct some POE NVR's will accept a switch into one of the network/poe ports and allow cameras then to be connected to that switch and all will register into the NVR. Swann for example I believe allows for this. (Disclaimer: I could be wrong, but I do believe this is a correct statement)

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Thought I remembered having a discussion about this before - Here it is, they stated connecting a switch to one of the poe ports on the NVR and connecting all cameras to that switch did in fact pass all video channels. This was swann (so rebranded HIK) hardware.

Swann NVR & PoE Switch

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, this is what you must do. 16 cameras on the NVR PoE ports, and the remaining cameras on the same LAN segment as the NVR LAN port.
I don't believe this is always true. If memory serves me correct some POE NVR's will accept a switch into one of the network/poe ports and allow cameras then to be connected to that switch and all will register into the NVR. Swann for example I believe allows for this. (Disclaimer: I could be wrong, but I do believe this is a correct statement)
Thought I remembered having a discussion about this before - Here it is, they stated connecting a switch to one of the poe ports on the NVR and connecting all cameras to that switch did in fact pass all video channels. This was swann (so rebranded HIK) hardware.

Swann NVR & PoE Switch
Thanks to the both of you for your help....I will attempt to hook separate POE switch into router / home switch and see if the NVR picks up that there are more cams that can be connected and configures IP addressing for them. If not I may need to add manually....more to come after I try this!

Thanks again for your assistance...really appreciate it!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have the time and inclination to experiment - it would also be interesting to also connect the PoE switch that has the camera on it to a spare PoE port on the NVR to see if the cameras will connect OK. As @zero-degrees indicates - there appears to be conflicting experiences with this arrangement.
But the big question would be - what IP address should the cameras have in order to give them a chance of being found and connected to the NVR?
Maybe the NVR would help if its built-in discovery capability (HDMI/VGA interface) can find the cameras.

By the way - we've never asked what model of NVR you are using.
I'm assuming it is a Hikvision 7632 - but that may not be correct.