Swann NVR & PoE Switch

Simplex

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Swann NVR (NVR8-7300) with four 3MP 1080p cameras (NHD-815). I want to use a PoE switch to connect the cameras to the NVR (four Cat5e cables to switch & 1 Cat5e cable from switch to NVR). Swann tells me that they cannot guarantee this configuration will work.

Does anyone have experience using a PoE switch with this or other Swann NVRs?

Simplex

khx73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In theory it should.. but I've heard people say that the PoE ports on the NVRs only address one camera per port. Regardless if it's direct, or through a switch.
Do you have all the hardware now? Connect it all the way you want and try it before you install.

Simplex

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I do plan to test before completing installation. Swann must be different that others like Lorex which support and sell PoE switches.

Simplex

khx73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Definitely test..because it may work fine.. I think the one-per-port thing might be a HikVision thing? I've just seen it mentioned a few times. The Swann I have is a rebranded Hik... not sure about yours.

If you remember, post your results back on here..

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@Simplex I'm curious "WHY" you want to setup the system this way? Why do you not want to simply home run everything to your NVR and connect it via the way it was designed to be used? What is the purpose of inserting another piece of hardware - in this case the switch?

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Simplex I'm curious "WHY" you want to setup the system this way? Why do you not want to simply home run everything to your NVR and connect it via the way it was designed to be used? What is the purpose of inserting another piece of hardware - in this case the switch?
There are two benefits I can think of, first its easier to wire up..having to homerun 4 cables vs 1. Second, this method allows you to record the cameras to more than one storage device, two NVR's, nvr and pc etc...Also, if the Swann nvr does not support virtual host, this method makes it easier to connect directly to the cams..

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
There are two benefits I can think of, first its easier to wire up..having to homerun 4 cables vs 1. Second, this method allows you to record the cameras to more than one storage device, two NVR's, nvr and pc etc...Also, if the Swann nvr does not support virtual host, this method makes it easier to connect directly to the cams..
I didn't think about the mult storage devices - that makes sense. The easier to wire up, i don't know that i get though. You are still running wires to the switch, then a single from the switch to the NVR so you are still running at least one wire all the way back to the d-mark... Thus if you are pulling one cable or 4 your still going from point a to b. You already pulled the 4 to the switch, now your pulling the single from the switch, thus same run/work imo at least and you've added another potential failure point into the system that most likely isn't needed (unless you are connecting to melt nvr's/storage devices.)

Simplex

n3wb
Reaction score
Good question. (Option 1) I want to place the NVR in the basement next to my router. I have full access to my attic where I can easily run the cables from each camera to a central point. Also, I have one free cable running from the basement to the attic, so I can easily connect a switch in the attic to this cable which will run to the NVR in the basement. So, running the camera cables to the switch is easy as is connecting the switch to the NVR. Running three new Cat5e cables from the attic to the basement would be very difficult.

Another alternative (Option 2) is to connect the free cable from the basement to the NVR in the attic and the router in the basement. However, the attic is not climate controlled, and I am thinking 130 degree heat in the summer would not be good for the NVR. I really do not have a climate controlled area that will work for the NVR on the 2nd floor, so the first option seems to be the best.

Maybe there is another option?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Good question. (Option 1) I want to place the NVR in the basement next to my router. I have full access to my attic where I can easily run the cables from each camera to a central point. Also, I have one free cable running from the basement to the attic, so I can easily connect a switch in the attic to this cable which will run to the NVR in the basement. So, running the camera cables to the switch is easy as is connecting the switch to the NVR. Running three new Cat5e cables from the attic to the basement would be very difficult.

Another alternative (Option 2) is to connect the free cable from the basement to the NVR in the attic and the router in the basement. However, the attic is not climate controlled, and I am thinking 130 degree heat in the summer would not be good for the NVR. I really do not have a climate controlled area that will work for the NVR on the 2nd floor, so the first option seems to be the best.

Maybe there is another option?
I have mounted a small shelf in the top corner of peoples closet before on the second floor. A shelf that is about 6 inches down from the ceiling (still providing room for air movement) and around 1' deep. The NVR sits up the shelf out of sight and the cables drop through the closet wall. Keeps it away from all other technology devices that may be stolen in a home break in - why i'm not a fan of putting your recording device near your TV or Computer/Office. Sure no place is technically "safe" during a break in but i would like to believe that the top ceiling in a kids room closet or bathroom closet is safer then with other technology devices. Also its typically easy to access a power cable to run an outlet to that location as well since attics normally have all kinds of electrical runs.

Simplex

n3wb
Reaction score
I have mounted a small shelf in the top corner of peoples closet before on the second floor. A shelf that is about 6 inches down from the ceiling (still providing room for air movement) and around 1' deep. The NVR sits up the shelf out of sight and the cables drop through the closet wall. Keeps it away from all other technology devices that may be stolen in a home break in - why i'm not a fan of putting your recording device near your TV or Computer/Office. Sure no place is technically "safe" during a break in but i would like to believe that the top ceiling in a kids room closet or bathroom closet is safer then with other technology devices. Also its typically easy to access a power cable to run an outlet to that location as well since attics normally have all kinds of electrical runs.
Yes, this is another option (Option 3). I do have a closet with a shelf up high that could work, but I will need to run power which is not that easy. I might try this set up for a while running extensions to see how it works out before fishing romex.

Simplex

n3wb
Reaction score
I connected four cameras to the PoE switch, and then connected the switch to one of the eight camera ports on the NVR. I am able to view all four cameras with no problems. I can also see the cameras with the PoE switch connected to my router, not the NVR. So, installation will commence.

Simplex

blue77

n3wb
Reaction score
Simplex or other experts,

I purchased the exact same model from Swann (NVR8-7300) and trying to make it work with POE switch and no luck so far. I reach out to technical support at Swann and they forwarded to next level support since they can't fix it. I am connecting cameras similar to above. Four cameras to POE switch and POE Switch to the Router. NVR not able to trace IP address of cameras that directly connected to the POE switch.

I am using "[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]8 port Ethernet switch with Passive PoE on 7 ports -WS-POES-8-7-48v60w - power over ethernet for 802.3af with 48 volt 60 watt supply". [/FONT]I purchased this POE switch since it support both Mode A and Mode B.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Experts please help. I am not sure do I need change any in router settings or POE switch with 802.3af not work. I really appreciate any help.[/FONT]

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Four cameras to POE switch and POE Switch to the Router.
I'm wondering if the cameras and the router and PoE ports are on the same / compatible IP address range.
What are the IP addresses of the cameras, and the IP address of your router?
Do the PoE ports on the NVR have NVR-assigned IP addresses, and what are they?

blue77

n3wb
Reaction score
I see as below on NVR network settings
Network Access - DHCP
IP address of the router / Gateway - 192.168.1.1
NVR IP address - 192.168.1.136

Media Port - 9000
HTTP port - 85

I do not see NVR detect IP addresses of Cameras. sorry, I do not know answer to the Do the PoE ports on the NVR have NVR-assigned IP addresses, and what are they?

Grandlux

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone successfully connected these Swann cameras via Ethernet switch?

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone connected a Swann camera to a Swann NVR through a 110v AC PowerLine Adapter? My buddy has a detached garage with no good way to run ethernet to it other than over 110v. We bought a TP-Link PowerLine adapter and got network connectivity into the garage with no trouble. The TP-link has 2 RJ-45 connections but I'm wondering how this will play out when connecting a single CAT 5 cable to the Swann NVR. He is interested in the Swann kit with (4) cameras and wants to put 2 on the garage. He also wants a camera on the front porch but his house is made of stone (literally) so drilling holes is just not an option. He does have 110v on the porch so again we would look at the Powerline Adapter. Are these cameras independently IP addressable ... or are the NVR ports? Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? Thanks!

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I spoke with Swann tech support today. They confirmed that the POE connections on the back of the NVR are just that - a switch with POE ports. They also confirmed that we can use an Ethernet Over Power or PowerLine Adapter to run cameras into the switch and even use another switch plugged into the NVR. I'll give it a shot.

Peteer

n3wb
Reaction score
Question: Will the NVR software allow more than 4 cameras if networked and additional cameras are on POE switch? i.e. would a NVR4-7285 run more than 4 cameras?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Question: Will the NVR software allow more than 4 cameras if networked and additional cameras are on POE switch? i.e. would a NVR4-7285 run more than 4 cameras?
No - if that logic worked people would buy 4channel NVRs saving a a few hundred bucks and connect 16 cameras