Day/night profiles and Hikvision

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I recently replaced my Foscams with Hikvision 4mp turrets. On the Foscams I could turn IR on/off in Blue Iris relative to sunrise/sunset, I really like that feature. On the Hikvision I currently have them on auto for the day and night switch which may be the way I have to leave them. I see where you can schedule day and night in the Hikvisions and make adjustments accordingly, however I don't see a way to do this relative to sunrise/sunset. Is there a way to do this in BI that I am missing? Otherwise it looks like you would have to be continuously adjusting the schedule times to allow for the difference in daylight as the seasons change.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Really? Well thanks for that! I'll try it tonight. I had noticed I couldn't turn IR on/off on the turrets from the ptz controls in BI so I thought it wouldn't work. I noticed I could turn IR on/off on the mini dome in BI though.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I found the BI camera option for ptz on the turrets was set to Axis for some reason, guess it defaulted there. Changed to Hikvision/Abus/Swann and I can now control IR from BI. Ah, the more I learn the more I find out how little I know. So, do I leave day and night switch on auto in Hikvisions?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I found the BI camera option for ptz on the turrets was set to Axis for some reason, guess it defaulted there. Changed to Hikvision/Abus/Swann and I can now control IR from BI. Ah, the more I learn the more I find out how little I know.
yes, it actually toggles night and day mode...not the independent ir/on off setting..but in your case you actually want to toggle night/day...

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman - are you saying that BI is now able to send a signal to the camera to change from day settings to night settings somehow? Or am I on a completely different page here?

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman - are you saying that BI is now able to send a signal to the camera to change from day settings to night settings somehow? Or am I on a completely different page here?
What im saying is that when you send an ir on signal, it changes the camera to night mode..when you send and ir off, it changes to day....it doesnt independently toggle the IR...so you cant have it in night mode without IR using this function..but OP doesnt need that...for him, it will do exactly what he needs.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I just confirmed this. Looking at camera in browser I see Day & Night setting change when I click the IR icon in BI. This means I could change other day & night image settings in Hikvision and have BI switch them too? Such as brightness, shutter speed?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ahh, I see. Using BI to change the Hik from day to night mode however does limit the ability to set the camera settings independent from day and night, right? So you only get the one settings page instead of being able to adjust for day and night?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Ahh, I see. Using BI to change the Hik from day to night mode however does limit the ability to set the camera settings independent from day and night, right? So you only get the one settings page instead of being able to adjust for day and night?
I'm not sure, because you set the event schedule in BI for each camera. Manually clicking the IR icon in BI only changes the one camera from day to night.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm going to try the cURL method if I can figure it out. I have had my day/night set from 8am to 8pm in Hikvision and have it set relative to sunset/sunrise in BI. I've noticed the past 2 nights that BI switches cameras around 7:20pm. The IR comes on but picture is very grainy. Hikvision shows night mode but picture remains very grainy until Hikvision schedule kicks in at 8pm. Hikvision shows night mode along with the different night settings but something ain't right until Hikvision schedule kicks in, Tonight I will try to remember to toggle day/night in Hikvision while the picture is still grainy to see if that changes anything.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ended up using the linked method in the end. I had a hard time figuring out what BI was doing to the camera settings using this method. When using the curl command back to the camera it is VERY understandable on which settings are getting used and when. I was able to tweak every setting in the camera independently for day and night making the best of all worlds when put in place based on sunrise/sunset. Alternatively you can just set a time in BI that you want the change to occur on a set time and not link to sunrise/sunset.

Perhaps I was just not understanding the proper use of the BI sending the night mode switch in the end, but curl method was easy for me and working great.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
@ruppmeister I don't know if there is much difference in our firmware but I'm curious, do you have yours set to "auto-switch" or "scheduled-switch"? That's how it labeled in my firmware, yours could be different.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I currently have mine set to Auto-Switch for both cameras that I am using the Curl script for and they both work perfectly.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@ruppmeister Do you mind sharing your curl script for switching a Hikvision camera to day profile? And likewise, a curl to switch to night profile?

Thanks, Andy.