Day Night Switch - Turn Off IR

Badger1966

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a PTZ and 2 different mini domes. I want to turn off the IR on the mini domes due to the location and getting reflection back from the IR led's. Both manuals say they should have a day night switch. I have been through everything that I can, either through the NVR, IVMS-4200 or the web and the day/night switch option is nowhere to be seen.

Any ideas please as I am loosing the will to live trying to sort this.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you tried logging into your cameras directly via their web GUI and disabling IR from there?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
2 different mini domes.
Brand / model / firmware version?
Cameras connected to NVR PoE ports?
In which case use the NVR 'Virtual Host' facility to access the camera web GUI and make the needed changes.
The NVR itself will only control some of the top-level camera configuration options, for the fine detail you need to connect to the camera itself.

Badger1966

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, guess I should have given a bit more info! All are Hikvision. The NVR is DS-7716NI-E4/16P, The PTZ is DS2DE-4A225IW-DE. The domes are DS-2CD4526FWD-IZH and DS-2CD4332FWD-IZ.
All are connected via POE. I have looked at all settings via web GUI, NVR and IVMS-4200.
Attached a pic of where I think the option should be on the web GUI.

And forgot to say that all equipment has the latest firmware available. And reading both manuals for the domes, it says they both have day/night options.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Enable 'Virtual Host' in the NVR web GUI advanced network settings.
Then in Camera Configuration use the 'connect' link in the right hand column to access the camera Web GUI directly to find and change the needed settings.

Badger1966

n3wb
Reaction score
I guess while I am here, any recommendations for an external ir that is compact but will illuminate up to 50 meters and doesn't cost the earth :)

Badger1966

n3wb
Reaction score
Thought you guys might be interested in pics of when the IR was on and then off. It's remarkable :) Obviously from the pics you can see one cam is better than the other, and live is slight;y brighter and more colour than the attached image. so I think rather than get IR illuminators, I will just upgrade the worst cam and play around with brightness and contrast setting etc. Any suggestions on that would be great!

Thanks

Attachments

Badger1966

n3wb
Reaction score
Just be sure to check how much motion blur there is. Static images can be a bit misleading in terms of how useful the needed video will be when you need it.
You will likely have to dial down the exposure time to reduce blur.
Thank you, I will indeed check it out this evening after dark :)

Badger1966

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I have attached a video of the night vision with no IR. It shows a suspiciously slow moving car and then a faster moving car from opposite direction. Lots of glare from lights. And pointers on improving quality would be much appreciated. I have not played with the exposure time yet or anything else, as I didn't want to make things worse or possibly better before showing the video with the original setting.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of glare from lights.
I think that's normal enough with car headlights, when the camera isn't tuned to do ANPR.

And pointers on improving quality would be much appreciated. I have not played with the exposure time yet
I'd start by dropping the exposure time down until you find the point where the colour image starts to suffer with noise, then wind it back a bit.
Quick and easy to do.
That will give you the least motion blur.

Badger1966

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, I have installed an DS-2CD4526FWD-IZH replacing the DS-2CD4332FWD-IZ and so now a matched pair of dark fighter cams. Have made sure all are on the latest firmware and have set both cams to exactly the same setting. But the new cam looking down the road doesn't have as bright an image. Any idea, pic attached. Once this issue is sorted I will do the exposure time and see how that goes, at the moment it is 1/25
Thanks

Attachments

Badger1966

n3wb
Reaction score
Well the cam in question is actually set out further then the other to give a better angle of view down the road, and so less covered by soffit etc. Although maybe the other being further in gets light reflection and so is brighter. Wither way I expect the position of each one is affecting quality in some way as per your suggestion. I will play with setting to see if I can even things up.