Day time smash and grab on a parked car in driveway

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Day time smash and grab on a parked car in driveway

Not my video, worth sharing for folks considering only one camera thinking one is enough.

Notice the thief is able to approach and remain hidden from this camera by hiding behind the first car.
Had he decided to smash and grab on the first car we may not have had a good ID image.

Thus, why I recommend 2 cameras covering your parked cars

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The dog comes barking when the smash occurs. Wonder if the dog had alerted as soon as the suspect walked onto the property - if the suspect would've moved on without doing the violence?

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
with that huge bush there tho, a smart thief aware of the cameras could move in with his back to cameras and still not give you a good ID shot, he'd be obscured on his approach until he was already at the car and be in and gone with very little useful evidence. Tho in this case he does seem to notice the camera, just didn't car much.

I do agree tho, covering critical areas its good to have 2 cameras, ideally with different perspective views. That way if one goes out for whatever reason you still have some coverage as well as improving the chances of getting some ID

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 3 cameras covering my drive way. Also the streets to get license plates. He has good pictures of the perps. If that had been my house I would have had their license plates to give to the cops. I agree, it looks like a back pack. I wonder why they stopped and picked on that house?

morrisky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good question, but I think they would have carried on regardless. They knew what they were going after. Car pulled up and the thief came straight over to the spot. Didn't spend time looking at anyone else's garden/hourse/car. Note the black Mustang. Someone drives off in it after warming the car up for a long time by the look of the exhaust fumes. I cannot see anyone getting into that Mustang. It's already there at the start, and someone is already in it. Do they live there? Were they the spotter telling the thief where the target was? The two German Shepherds across the road at the junction come out seconds after the thief gets out of the car. My bitch reacts if any vehicle that doesn't belong to neighbours or the postman rolls up and stops. They also alert when the thief runs back to his getaway car.
Yeah, the mustang does leave right afterwards as well so probably is related.

Snapper30

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looks like a MOLLE type of backpack, possibly used for a bugout or emergency bag. Definitely knew what they were after and which vehicle. POS thieves.

Time to trim the bushes and add a better camera for plates.

Reaction score
A driveway monitor would have been a big help. All that walking around there would have had the monitor ringing inside the house and would have alerted them to check the camera feed. I have simple cheap harbor freight driveway monitors all around my house, and have worked fine for 4 years.