Ddns cellular

Reaction score
To see recorded media and to do external configuration on my hikvision I have to assign DDNS, however I am having the camerasystem (witch is a hikvision bullet camera, a router with a usb port, and a 4g usb dongle in that usb port) on q cellular network. Is there a way to acces the media and settings without the DDNS, or is there a was to assign DDNS. I have talked to that 4g provider about gettig a disired 4g port to acces trough, but they did not offer that type of service. So what could I do?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To see recorded media and to do external configuration on my hikvision I have to assign DDNS, however I am having the camerasystem (witch is a hikvision bullet camera, a router with a usb port, and a 4g usb dongle in that usb port) on q cellular network. Is there a way to acces the media and settings without the DDNS, or is there a was to assign DDNS. I have talked to that 4g provider about gettig a disired 4g port to acces trough, but they did not offer that type of service. So what could I do?
This sounds a lot like the dilemma you had back in March on this thread, Ip camera over 4g .

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
So do you have internet access with the 4G radio/dongle? If you plug in a computer to the router that the dongle is attached to, can you access the internet via the dongle from the computer?

Reaction score
Solutions were provided to you in the other thread but you didnt use them.
If I am going ti use ngrok or hamachi then I will need a computer right? Which will draw power. The setup consists of a car battery and a small solar panel, which only gives enough power for the camera and router. Also cellular data is aproblem

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
If I am going ti use ngrok or hamachi then I will need a computer right? Which will draw power. The setup consists of a car battery and a small solar panel, which only gives enough power for the camera and router. Also cellular data is aproblem
... and you want this service to be free too? </sarcasm mode off>

"Computer" sounds like you expect to rollout a full sized desktop computer. For networking constructions (eg like tunnels) you often do not need huge CPU power. A Raspberry PI often already suffice. Or if you would share which router you currently have, there might be options to "root access" it (eg dd-wrt/rMerlin on ASUS) so you maybe can run these tunnel/VPN extension shizzle on your router. Which means, no "computer" needed anyway.

Like @fenderman said: follow the breadcrumbs in your original post, do your homework as we cannot spell out every letter of the alphabet to everyone.

Good luck!
CC

KamirZG

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can you get 3G/4G router? They are not so much expensive. Why complicate so much when you can insert SIM card in 3G/4G router and connect IP camera to router via ethernet cable and use HIK-CONNECT?
Use SD card inside of your camera.

You can't expect miracle's every time.

ptsmith24

n3wb
Reaction score
PureVPN worked for me. They have a dedicated IP add-on. I have 4G service on a MoFi device and can access the BI web server remotely using the dedicated IP from PureVPN and the port I selected in BI settings. I don’t yet have the BI app, but I imagine it would work with the app.

Reaction score
PureVPN worked for me. They have a dedicated IP add-on. I have 4G service on a MoFi device and can access the BI web server remotely using the dedicated IP from PureVPN and the port I selected in BI settings. I don’t yet have the BI app, but I imagine it would work with the app.
Sounds great, did you need a computer on the camera side for it to work?

Reaction score
Can you get 3G/4G router? They are not so much expensive. Why complicate so much when you can insert SIM card in 3G/4G router and connect IP camera to router via ethernet cable and use HIK-CONNECT?
Use SD card inside of your camera.

You can't expect miracle's every time.
Yes it is connected with 3g/4g and it is connected to hik-connect.
The problem that I have is that I am not able to set up ddns, hence no media view, nor external configuration

Reaction score
... and you want this service to be free too? </sarcasm mode off>

"Computer" sounds like you expect to rollout a full sized desktop computer. For networking constructions (eg like tunnels) you often do not need huge CPU power. A Raspberry PI often already suffice. Or if you would share which router you currently have, there might be options to "root access" it (eg dd-wrt/rMerlin on ASUS) so you maybe can run these tunnel/VPN extension shizzle on your router. Which means, no "computer" needed anyway.

Like @fenderman said: follow the breadcrumbs in your original post, do your homework as we cannot spell out every letter of the alphabet to everyone.

Good luck!
CC
Thanks a lot for the advice

Reaction score
Found my raspberry pi and installed ngrok on it. I have googeled around and can't find any tutorial on how to use it for an ip camera. Do some of you know how to do this?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
There is absolutely no difference in "exposing your web server to your tunnel" versus "exposing your camera to your tunnel". It's a matter of having the "right" ports.

Reaction score
There is absolutely no difference in "exposing your web server to your tunnel" versus "exposing your camera to your tunnel". It's a matter of having the "right" ports.
Thanks, i am quite new to this. How do I know what port is the right one? Is it like the ip address 192.168.0.1? And one more thing do I have to connect the ip camera ethernet cable in to the raspberry pi, or does it work if they are connected to the same router?

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi

These are the ports needed for video

HikPorts.png

I presume that you would use port 8000 with the viewing app or 443 for the RTSP (images)

Nevertheless, enable your ngrok with port that is required and connect the camera and Pi to the router. This should then work.

Remember that your ISP must allocate you an unrestricted APN that gives you a public IP or your DDNS wont work.