DDNS Question

jmburton2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't really know where to ask this but since I'm using BI Tools, I figure this is as good a place as any...

Is there any way to specify the BI webserver port anywhere using IPCT DDNS?

Mine's set up on port 8088 so I'd like to access it at:

xxxxxx.ipctddns.com

rather than:

xxxxxx.ipctddns.com:8088

Is this possible?

Thank you for your insight!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't really know where to ask this but since I'm using BI Tools, I figure this is as good a place as any...

Is there any way to specify the BI webserver port anywhere using IPCT DDNS?

Mine's set up on port 8088 so I'd like to access it at:

xxxxxx.ipctddns.com

rather than:

xxxxxx.ipctddns.com:8088

Is this possible?

Thank you for your insight!
No, as will any ddns, is resolves to your wan ip. You need to enter the port. What you could do is change the external port to 80 then forward to internal 8088, but that presumable defeats the purpose of your port change.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I do this for some of the things I host but not for free. Went thru Google domains, registered a domain for $12/year and you can do what Google calls "Synthetic Records" where you can do a forward from hxxp:// host.yourdomain.com and have that redirect you to hxxp:// host.yourdomain.com: <insert-your-port-here> and problem solved. Still is pretty cheap but not free :)

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
No, as will any ddns, is resolves to your wan ip. You need to enter the port. What you could do is change the external port to 80 then forward to internal 8088, but that presumable defeats the purpose of your port change.
^^^This...

DDNS uses "A Records" on domains while what you are looking for would require an HTTP redirect.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^This...

DDNS uses "A Records" on domains while what you are looking for would require an HTTP redirect.
That's what the synthetic records does for me. I can connect to a generic BI web URL and it redirects me to the actual host on an off-port.