Dead Dahua NVR

woolooloo

n3wb
Reaction score
I went to check on our security cameras the other day and when I looked at it, none of the lights were lit to indicate anything was being recorded. They are motion activated but it was the middle of the day so it was really unusual that nothing was recording. All other lights seemed normal. I turned on the monitor and there was a blank screen. I tried to wake it up by moving the mouse but nothing. I cycled the power and the Dahua logo came up on the monitor but then after a short time the screen went blank again. It seems to have died :(

Does anyone know of anything that I can try to reset it? Is there some sort of factory reset button sequence? It seems like since I at least get the Dahua logo that there might be some hope.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Possible hard drive failure. @vector18 has tons of experience with dahua NVR's...maybe he has some ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:

woolooloo

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I actually don't think it is the drives because I had a second unit awaiting the deployment of additional cams, so I put the drives in there and that unit is running fine with the old drives.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I actually don't think it is the drives because I had a second unit awaiting the deployment of additional cams, so I put the drives in there and that unit is running fine with the old drives.
are you able to access the NVR via browser?

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anytime I have had an issue with a Dahua NVR, it has been related to the hard drive.

woolooloo

n3wb
Reaction score
I do have two new hard drives that I bought for the other unit, so I will put them in this one and see if it makes a difference. Thanks

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
To absolutely make sure it's not a HDD issue, just power up the NVR WITHOUT a HDD and see if its. You don't need the HDD for it to work properly, but you won't be able to record. Cause if both of your HDD's are bad, you will have your problem when you try either one. There is no hard reset button or anything, but if you can get to the menu, there is a default option.

woolooloo

n3wb
Reaction score
I powered up without a HDD and it cranked right up. I installed 2 new drives and seem to be back in business.

Fortunately the other two drives seem to be working in the other NVR just fine and I was even able to pull up all the existing camera footage. Good thing too because I just had to spend the weekend pouring through video of a (now former) employee stealing controlled drugs out of our controlled drug lockers. Got a really awesome still of her face when she looked up and noticed the camera for the first time that almost makes it worth it. Vice is now involved, good times...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I powered up without a HDD and it cranked right up. I installed 2 new drives and seem to be back in business.

Fortunately the other two drives seem to be working in the other NVR just fine and I was even able to pull up all the existing camera footage. Good thing too because I just had to spend the weekend pouring through video of a (now former) employee stealing controlled drugs out of our controlled drug lockers. Got a really awesome still of her face when she looked up and noticed the camera for the first time that almost makes it worth it. Vice is now involved, good times...
I would not risk those drives in another NVR...get a warranty swap..
Great job on the capture!

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I agree with Fenderman. RMA those drives now that you have your footage.