Deal on poe switch!!!!

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I picked up the TRENDnet 12-Port NVR PoE+ Switch with LED Display, 8-Channel NVR, 8GB PoE+ Ports, 2 GB Ports, 2 SFP Ports, 120 W PoE Power Budget, Rack Mountable, TPE-3012L
$94 shipped. They also shipped me a single port and had to ship them the part back and they OVERNIGHTED me the TPE-3012L. I see it now for $10 cheaper lol GRR!
I have not hooked it up yet but am worried, reading stuff about active and passive. I don't see any specs on voltages or 802.xx stuff to make sure its right. Don't want to waste my time on site in front of the customer if I don't have to.

-P

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My two switches are doing fantastic. I have a friend burning one of them in and I'm burning in the other one. They run cool and no problems! Mine were purchased from Amazon sold by Amazon ship from Amazon no issues.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I would think it should be fine.

TRENDnet | Products | TPE-3012L | 12-Port Gigabit NVR PoE+ Switch with LED Display
  • PoE
  • PoE budget: 120 watts
  • PoE budget per port: 30 watts
  • Over current protection
  • Short current protection
I'm curious about noise, I've got a midspan and it's pretty damn loud lol not really using it full time at the moment, I've got this running 5 of my cams Amazon.com: WS-POE-8-48v60w Passive 10/100 Power over Ethernet PoE Injector for 8 IP Cameras, VOIP Phones or Access Points, 48 volts, 60 Watts Total Power: Computers & Accessories and this running my PTZ Amazon.com: BV-Tech POE-I100G Gigabit Single Port 30W PoE Injector (Black): Computers & Accessories, I've been using the 8 port injector for a few years with no issues. they have no fans so totally silent, I'm tempted to just buy another 8 port injector after I use up the 8 ports I've got and another POE+ injector for my ultra bullet and then try to find a bigger fanless switch or a bunch of smaller ones because i'm pretty much out of ports.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
sweet, I'm gonna research fanless or at least quiet options, I don't necessarily mind having multiple units if they are quiet.

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That brings up a question, how do I daisy chain these? If I wanted 8 more cams? Another 8 port POE and just plug it into my main router/switch?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This one is fanless for sure, it's what I'm using. But you only get 7 ports for cameras, one for uplink. The other one I'm not sure about, but @Prinler should be able to tell you. Also the first link from the OP has a model listed as fanless.

Amazon.com: BV-Tech 8 Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch – 130W – 802.3at – POE-SW800G: Computers & Accessories
You can get a managed zyxel poe 8 Port switch for less..70w output which is more than enough for most applications...

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thats what I plan to do. Each switch going to the main router with their own cable would be best.
Why would direct run to router from each switch be better than just daisy chaining switch # 1 into switch # 2 then running a cable to router?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Splits the load up. With gigabit its probably not a big deal but whenever possible i like the least amount of congestion.
The down side is that is passes lots more traffic through the router...