Debugging a T5442T-ZE that went offline

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm running two Empiretek T5442T-ZE cameras via POE from a POE switch, to one interface on my dual NIC home server. The camera network is separate from my home network. I use Frigate & Home Assistant to monitor these.
During the night a few nights ago one of them went offline. There is power out of the switch to the camera, it is powering on since I can see the infrared lights at night, but there's no network connectivity.

Here's what I know:
  • One camera still online, I can ping it
  • One camera suddenly offline, I can't ping it
  • The offline camera is still powering on
  • I've unplugged and replugged the offline camera, changed port, no luck.
  • There was bad weather when it went offline, I've checked and a little water could get inside to where the ethernet is plugged in.

The fact that one still works rules out server networking issues.
How can I go about debugging this? Is it possible for water damage to stop data transmission but still power on the camera?

I've checked the feed and there was no tampering before it went offline.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Water damage could have done it, but a failing SD card exhibits this behavior as well. Hopefully you have an SD card in there and that is the easy fix!

Reaction score
Ooh I don't like that behavior when the SD card is failing! I'll take a look later, thanks for the lead

Reaction score
Unfortunately no luck with the SD card removed. I guess I'm looking at water damage... I replaced the RJ45 on the cable, did a reset and also no luck connecting to it on the default 192.168.1.108. Looks like I'll have to take it down and inspect it properly, quite hard to do it on the ladder.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh that is a bummer.

Try a power plug in the event the POE portion went out.

Also try some Deox on the connector - that has brought many cameras back to life by removing corrosion that can't be seen.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Is it possible for water damage to stop data transmission but still power on the camera?
Absolutely yes. I have this happen on a camera once every year or two. Just a little bit of moisture that worms into an RJ45 can leave a bit of corrosion that messes up the data transmission while not shorting out the power. Look for any green or black gunk in the camera's connector. I've wasted a lot of time trying to fix problems outside only to have to debug it on the workbench anyway.

Reaction score
Turns out the camera is fine thankfully. It looks like some of the insulation was damaged in the ethernet cable. I don't know how it happened, maybe some small insects or something eating away at the insulation? Either way just an update for future searchers. I cut a length off, crimped it and seems ok now.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Turns out the camera is fine thankfully. It looks like some of the insulation was damaged in the ethernet cable. I don't know how it happened, maybe some small insects or something eating away at the insulation? Either way just an update for future searchers. I cut a length off, crimped it and seems ok now.
Squirrels? Roof rats? Mice?
Rodents LOVE :love: thermoplastic insulation....it's the soy content.