Deciding Between Two Costco Systems

Texas

n3wb
Reaction score
My wife has decided that, with our new home being in the country, we (I) need to get a camera system set up. I had installed an analog Q-See system at our previous home in the city and it did alright (caught the occasional neighbor's dog pooping in the yard, and UPS guy making deliveries), but I'm looking around now and seeing 4MP IP systems at reasonable prices. It's pretty cool to see how far things have come at the consumer level in just a few years.

I'm not a security camera professional, nor do I want to be, but I'm fairly handy and technical, and I appreciate a good quality. I see a lot of recommendations to "just buy Hikvision" or "put together a Dahua kit", but the pre-packaged kits from Costco definitely appeal to me. I'll admit, the guarantee and return policy is one reason for that. Another is the concern that I don't really know enough to intelligently spec out my own package, and I don't really want to try.

That said, I've been studying two systems that Costco currently has, and I could really use some advice.

Common between the two systems:
  • 16-channel NVR with POE on all ports
  • 4k support (though supported framerate differs)
  • Both NVRs appear to support external storage expansion
  • Both brand cameras have WDR
  • Both support ONVIF

Different between the two systems (pros and cons ordered in my perceived importance):

1. AvertX 16-Channel HD IP NVR with 6TB HDD, 10 Autofocus 4MP Cameras with 100' Night Vision - $2,999.97
    • Pros
      • All cameras are dome with autofocus and 3x zoom!
      • 6TB HDD
      • 109° field of view
      • Cameras have onboard microSD card slot for backup storage
      • NVR supports 4k cameras at 15 fps
    • Cons
      • Seems to be a somewhat unknown brand. Some folks say it's rebranded Dynacolor, but I don't see that name mentioned much, so I can't get a feel for quality or reputation.
      • Higher package cost
      • Cameras have higher minimum illumination specs: 0.5 lux (color), 0.05 lux (b&w)
      • No specifics on hard drive other than "surveillance grade"
  2. Q-See 16-Channel HD IP NVR with 3TB HDD, 8 4MP Cameras with 100' Night Vision - $1,659.97 (after adding two additional dome cameras)
    • Pros
      • Lower package cost
      • Most people say that Q-See is rebranded Dahua cameras (true?)
      • 0.01 lux rating (color)
      • Specs a Western Digital purple hard drive
    • Cons
      • 3TB HDD
      • My previous analog system was Q-See, and the DVR and remote viewing software seemed rather glitchy at times
      • 84° (bullets), 75° (domes) field of view
      • 8 of the cameras would be bullets (though I'm not entirely convinced this is terrible)
      • NVR supports 4k cameras at only 7 fps (slight disadvantage to the AvertX)

So what do you guys think? Can you recommend one over the other?
Anybody know the AvertX brand and have a feel for quality?

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Go with the qsee which is rebranded dahua. I had a brief interaction with the avertx and was not impressed by both the image quality or the interface. You could add dahua turrets for 80 bux or so from china instead of those 179 domes.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A friend has the QSee system that she bought and installed. She only used 5 of the cameras so far but she says she loves it. Said it was pretty easy to set up (she's not technically inclined) and she loves the quality of the videos.

Texas

n3wb
Reaction score
So, that's two votes for the Q-See. I guess the zoom and field of view on the AvertX isn't really swaying anyone, huh?

Go with the qsee which is rebranded dahua. I had a brief interaction with the avertx and was not impressed by both the image quality or the interface. You could add dahua turrets for 80 bux or so from china instead of those 179 domes.
I think the two domes would end up inside the house. Other than cost (which is significant) is there a benefit by going turret instead of dome? I see a lot of references to turrets being better outside because of lack of spiders, internal IR reflection, and light flare. Seems like those wouldn't be applicable in this case.

JimandYen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've had the 8816 system from Costco for about a year now and not had any problems. Fixed a couple fan noise issues and it runs real quiet now.
I do like the option of running up to 4 6GB HDD for a total of 24TB if you need it.
Any Dahua cam will be totally compatable with it also.

To be fair I don't know anything about the Avertx system.. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Texas

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking at Dahua cams, it looks like there are some available with microSD slots. How useful is this? The wife really liked the idea of having local backup at the camera in the event that the NVR, itself, were to get stolen.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looking at Dahua cams, it looks like there are some available with microSD slots. How useful is this? The wife really liked the idea of having local backup at the camera in the event that the NVR, itself, were to get stolen.
Not amazingly useful. Generally cameras with them aren't as good is the problem.

If it's a free option (same camera I mean, not free price!), then why not? I do use mine in the porch camera to save jpg snapshots. It's on about 1 year now.

Texas

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, y'all. I appreciate all of the feedback. I'm gonna go ahead and pull the trigger on the Q-See kit. May study a little longer before getting the two add-on cameras.