Dedicated DIY NVR Server vs home PC

Reaction score
I want to build a Dedicated NVR. I want to capture several 1080P cameras 24/7.
I plan on using Genius Vision software.
Can Genius Vision benefit from a 8 or 16 core system?
I have a lot of experience building and configuring home PCs. I am a Comptia A+ certified.
I have ZERO experience working with rackmount xeon based servers.

Cost wise speaking, I see where I could pick up a used dual cpu E5 xeon quad core server. It seems to be a more powerful solution than a AMD Phenom II X4 965 home PC that I am more familiar with.

Is there anything I should know about jumping into xeon based servers that I should know? I am more confident working in Windows than Linux.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I want to build a Dedicated NVR. I want to capture several 1080P cameras 24/7.
I plan on using Genius Vision software.
Can Genius Vision benefit from a 8 or 16 core system?
I have a lot of experience building and configuring home PCs. I am a Comptia A+ certified.
I have ZERO experience working with rackmount xeon based servers.

Cost wise speaking, I see where I could pick up a used dual cpu E5 xeon quad core server. It seems to be a more powerful solution than a AMD Phenom II X4 965 home PC that I am more familiar with.

Is there anything I should know about jumping into xeon based servers that I should know? I am more confident working in Windows than Linux.
If you are just running a couple of 1080p cameras then that system is complete overkill and will be a power hog....buy an i5-6500 skylake optiplex or elitedesk and be done with it...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why Genius Vision? check out Milestone if you are so cheap that free is your budget: https://www.milestonesys.com/our-products/video-management-software/xprotect-essential/

powerfull means almost nothing; power usage is king.. its basically just saving video streams to disk; no reason to throw 300W at it; most of us have systems running under 50W.. Battery Backup is pretty important for video surveillance, so dont build a server that can only run for 10mins tops on the biggest UPS's you can afford.. build one that will run for an hour or more.