Dedicated License Plate Cam project

Bernie199

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the Z5 and it's working great for me. I may get the Z12 just to play with it and see what's the difference. I think the Z5 may have a wider FOV than the Z12 but in my street, the Z5 is working good and FOV is good for both incoming/outgoing traffic. Z12 has a better zoom but I'm unsure whether the FOV would work in my favor.
I've gone for the Z12 because the current camera is pulling images from 30m away so I wanted something that could match it

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Trying to get CUDA installed into openalpr on windows has been a pain.

imog

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a guide regarding feeding openalpr a video stream on windows?

I've got a new dahua sd49225t-hn reading clear plates day and night. Settings are default day, night is default also except far IR maxed, shutter 1/725, HLC 75, and 2D/3D NR turned down around 30/40. Angle is about 50°, with a distance of about 150'. Example attached, this is getting all vehicles entering my street within 50ft of a stop sign.

Thanks for all the sharing here, I've read large parts of this thread and others.

Attachments

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
openalpr is pretty easy, just grab the stream URL and put it into the configuration. It'll start streaming it.

imog

n3wb
Reaction score
openalpr is pretty easy, just grab the stream URL and put it into the configuration. It'll start streaming it.
Thank you, I have the stream URL. Verified it's correct via VLC.

Do I have to be running ALPRD?

I was looking at just alpr.exe in the windows binaries and passing that the stream URL, but it doesn't appear to accept a stream URL, just images on a manual CLI basis.

I am probably missing something obvious to those who have done it before, which is why I ask Sorry I'm not trying to be dumb. I have spent some time looking thru the files, found a conf file in the root of the ALPR directory but it didn't have placeholders for a stream URL to edit.

I appreciate your time.

ITHelpMe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I was looking at just alpr.exe in the windows binaries and passing that the stream URL, but it doesn't appear to accept a stream URL, just images on a manual CLI basis.

I am probably missing something obvious to those who have done it before, which is why I ask Sorry I'm not trying to be dumb. I have spent some time looking thru the files, found a conf file in the root of the ALPR directory but it didn't have placeholders for a stream URL to edit.

I appreciate your time.
Just install openalpr-latest.exe on Windows. Once you do that, it creates a WIndows service. Open the app and sign in with your account. On OpenALPR website, you configure the agent that you just installed and specify your camera stream by adding a camera.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ya you need the daemon, not just the alpr program.

imog

n3wb
Reaction score
Just install openalpr-latest.exe on Windows. Once you do that, it creates a WIndows service. Open the app and sign in with your account. On OpenALPR website, you configure the agent that you just installed and specify your camera stream by adding a camera.
This is what I was missing, google was not locating an installer, just the latest zip files on github which don't include the windows installer. Further googling, having the info you gave me lead me to this page with a link for "OpenALPR Windows Installer". Bingo!

I appreciate the help, thanks again!

EDIT: I had been traveling, got home 20 minutes ago, up and running now. Sweet.

Last edited:

mudflap5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

I appreciate your time.

Trying to get OpenALPR running. One issue I am having is how go determine the URL stream. I have no clue how to get the URL stream information. The camera works fine by typing the address into a browser. Can someone help? Thanks.

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So with that Dahua, openALPR and VLC you are making hay?

I may be replacing my one for that model then!

Would a newer gen Dahua be better?

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just upgraded the firmware in my plate cameras. The latest DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_Eng_P_Stream3_V2.460.0000000.16.R.20170904 firmware makes the second sub stream 1080P, up from 720P. I've been feeding the 720P substream to openalpr with mixed results. Rear plates generally read but the smaller front plates often don't. I'm hoping that the bump to 1080P might help that.

cb8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just upgraded the firmware in my plate cameras. The latest DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_Eng_P_Stream3_V2.460.0000000.16.R.20170904 firmware makes the second sub stream 1080P, up from 720P. I've been feeding the 720P substream to openalpr with mixed results. Rear plates generally read but the smaller front plates often don't. I'm hoping that the bump to 1080P might help that.
Funny how the specs always listed 1080P for the second sub-stream, and finally it actually works :)

mudflap5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Finally have Openalpr running, and for the most part, it works very well. Some of the images look like this. Any idea what the cause is? (although it still managed to catch the plate).

Attachments

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Incomplete data in the compressed video bitstream will give you this. The root cause could be anything that corrupts or interrupts the data: LAN network congestion, high CPU load causing receive packets to be dropped, and a bad memory block on some storage media are a few examples.