Dedicated License Plate Cam project

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah but were not using off the shelf components to read past that distance, 60ft is still further than off the shelf cameras can see.. if you get it closer, you can use a cheaper camera.

otherwise you need to modify a camera to take bigger optics; and its a hack job at best.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that one's going to be tough, what about a birdhouse cam near that big electrical box?
or a fake rock / mailbox camera

if it were soffit mounted it seems like the left side of the image would yield a better angle.

trock

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I figured that the location in the corner has a straight view down the street, so it would have a clear view leaving to capture the plates. The issue with putting a camera out near the street is getting the cable out there. :) The Huisun/Imporx 10x PTZ's (5-50mm)wouldn't work or even the hik 2032 with the 25mm lens?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The huisun might work for a few days/weeks/months.. if you keep it out of the sun, heat, cold, neuter it with an external PoE splitter and sacrifice a small animal to the gods.

The hik might work w/25mm lens, but thats not off the shelf and results with that have been mixed.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah. my first thoughts were planting a little tree and mounting in the middle on a pole. However, that involves a considerable amount more in time and money. :) Just for my own knowledge, what makes it tough? The height of the camera off the ground? The distance shouldn't be an issue; it looks like other from reading are capturing past that distance. Thanks again nayr.
Put it in a box next to that green one, and paint it green, it will look like it's part of the box lol.

trock

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So it looks like the huisun is out of the question..haha I am not necessarily looking for something off the shelf, however I would want to know its going to work. Well hopefully something comes up that I can use in the future. Otherwise I assume the 12mm off the shelf hik will work if installed out by the elec box?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it should, we'd need to know distances from that to your target area.. you want it to intersect with that guy's driveway/road eavesment so you know nobody will park there and block its low view.

trock

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
it should, we'd need to know distances from that to your target area.. you want it to intersect with that guy's driveway/road eavesment so you know nobody will park there and block its low view.
Its 30 feet from the green box to where the back of the car would straighten for a clear view.

Sent from my LG-H950 using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
tha'd be great with 12mm optics, 4MP would give you alot of pixels but you need alot of light.. 2MP if you wanna use built in IR

trock

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
tha'd be great with 12mm optics, 4MP would give you alot of pixels but you need alot of light.. 2MP if you wanna use built in IR
Thoughts on the LTS 12mm LPR camera for this?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what one would that be? I search and dont find an IP camera

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that should work quite well I'd expect.. the dahua starlight varifocal turret could do it at a very high shutter speed

trock

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. Is there a recommended place to buy the dahua?

trock

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was reading another post of all the different dahua models. This wouldn't work for my situation? SDZW2030S-N

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it shure would; but i think that camera is going to be >$400

trock

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you had a budget around 4, would that be the choice?

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wouldn't do a hikvision with 25mm mod lens or anything that couldn't be refocused remotely. Mine works at 80-100ft but it's a pain to focus, when it's clear for daytime, it's blurry at night. Mine is weird that I focus it for night time but it's blurry at the edges which is sharp in the daytime. So I can read at night on one part of the screen and can read in the day on the other part of the screen. I'm replacing it with a Dahua IPC-HFW5221E-IRA-4747 4.7mm to 47mm, probably should have spent the extra $50 for this 61mm guy: Free Shipping DAHUA IP Camera 2MP 12X IR Bullet Camera with POE Outdoor 1080P Network Camera without logo IPC HFW5200E Z12-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group but it wasn't on sale at the time I bought the 47mm. May still order the 61mm for the other direction since we're a rear plate only state.