Dedicated license plate camera

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Z4E is 4MP with a motorized lense that goes up to 32mm. The Z12E is 2MP but zooms to 64mm. I spoke with someone and they said the 32mm lense will get me to 95ft. So I would think the 64mm is not necessary for me. I will have a higher pixel density with the Z4E when I narrow the FOV to the entrance. It would be nice if they made some LPR and ANPR cameras that have 32mm lenses and higher resolutions.
No way the Z4E will get plates reliably at 95 feet... I think it was @samplenhold or @biggen that tried it at 60ish feet and exchanged it for the Z12E. Plenty of us have tried the Z4E and by 70ish feet I was down to 25% or less at night. YMMV, but at 70ish feet I had to digital zoom and that is asking for trouble with any plate that isn't perfect.

Have this "someone" prove it to you with some night video.

MP isn't what is needed for LPR. Most commercial places are still using analog. 2MP is more than enough. The Z4E and Z12E cost the same, so go with the one that has the best chance and that will be the Z12E.

But they do make ANPR cameras in higher focal lengths...

Here is one such example in stock on Amazon...

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking at that entrance, I'd say it's is a two LPR Cam job all day long.
Too many variables you can't control. esp. if they are aiming for 100%
Put one up where you think one oughta go, then see where you can strategically place another varifocal camera to get the remainder.

Reaction score
has the 5241 z12 been superceded by another part #? Amazon says unavailable.
I ran into that a few weeks back, freaked out cuz I needed one more (a 2nd one to fulfill my needs) and I just missed pulling the trigger and someone else nabbed the last two on Amazon.

I PM'd Andy and he shot one straight over from Hong Kong in a matter of days. SATISFIED CUSTOMER! :thumb:

BTW, you didn't hear this from me, but you save on shipping and state sales tax by ordering direct from Andy!

Reaction score
Adding to what others have said. I had about a 140ft problem to tackle and that nice 64mm varifocal nailed even on cars flying by. See the intro here...
Nice video from what I've watched so far, good work catching the jerk in the Benz blowing the STOP sign, I caught that before you even highlighted it in your video. I'll watch the rest later when I gots more time. I like the way you can "out" people online :D

JoshM

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well my customer sounds like they don't want to invest in what it will cost to pole mount one. So with that I am considering placing a Z12E on the building. I would only be concerned with getting plates on the right side of the 35ft span (where vehicles generally exit).
According to the specs this camera from 190ft away with a HFOV width of 20ft would give me 94ppf. Additionally, I could zoom to 130ft with a HFOV width of 17ft and get 110ppf. I know this is all theoretical and speculative. From those who have installed these, is this possible? I have attached the view from the building to exit and two drawings. I would hate to tell my customer with certainty that it will work and then it doesn't after the install. Thanks ya'll!!!

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While the IPVM is a good guide, I can tell you that when you get out to those distances, the images do not look as good as they show unfortunately.

The things you have in your favor include the vehicle would be going slow and you have some ambient light.

The things not in your favor include the wide entrance that someone could swing outside of it or if in a hurry to get out, could pass the camera but not be at an optimal angle due to the radius they car turning to get out fast. In some instances, ambient light can negatively impact IR at further distance as the ambient light is kinda like "light pollution" and it can diminish the amount of IR that is seen. I can tell in my one camera when my neighbor has their lamp post on because it impacts the IR ability on my camera.

I think though with a high level of certainty that you could be successful getting plates that cross the field of view, but at that distance you will need to max zoom the camera to stand any chance. And recognize that the dirty and temp plates at that distance will be harder to get.

I would suggest getting the Z12E and temporarily swap this current view (I assume that is a camera view) and see if it works before running the cables and committing. If it doesn't work, then you have a great camera you could use somewhere else or sell it here.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Another thought. If you have power out there, and given that there's probably lighting on poles nearby, you could mount to one of those and use a dedicated wireless link to get the signal back to the building. A Ubiquity Nano Loco M5 would do the trick and can handle, probably eight cameras or more. You would also need an enclosure to house a PoE switch, Ubiquity uses a different PoE standard from cameras and the two don't play well together, and the wall wart for the Loco.

That would give you a much shorter distance to work with in terms of capture. It's all a tradeoff in terms of cost/labor, but it would insure good captures and require much shorter focal lengths.

Last edited:

JoshM

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Another thought. If you have power out there, and given that there's probably lighting on poles nearby, you could mount to one of those and use a dedicated wireless link to get the signal back to the building. A Ubiquity Nano Loco M5 would do the trick and can handle, probably eight cameras of more. You would also need an enclosure to house a PoE switch, Ubiquity uses a different PoE standard from cameras and the two don't play well together, and the wall wart for the Loco.

That would give you a much shorter distance to work with in terms of capture. It's all a tradeoff in terms of cost/labor, but it would insure good captures and require much shorter focal lengths.
That is how I priced it. Yes the camera uses 802.3af and Ubiquiti uses the 24v standard. I

JoshM

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is how I figured it exactly. Two loco M5s for the wireless bridge ($49ea). I would have to come out of a breaker box on the bottom of the pole. I figured I could run my 110vac supply into a nema box that is wired up with a receptacle. Then I would actually have two separate POEs. One for the loco and a 802.3af for the camera. I'm open for any suggestions to make it easier or cheaper. Pictured is the breaker box. I can tap into one of the 20amp breakers or install my own 15amp. The closest pole just happens to be the main supply pole.

Attachments

JoshM

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is how I figured it exactly. Two loco M5s for the wireless bridge ($49ea). I would have to come out of a breaker box on the bottom of the pole. I figured I could run my 110vac supply into a nema box that is wired up with a receptacle. Then I would actually have two separate POEs. One for the loco and a 802.3af for the camera. I'm open for any suggestions to make it easier or cheaper. Pictured is the breaker box. I can tap into one of the 20amp breakers or install my own 15amp. The closest pole just happens to be the main supply pole.
Might be cheaper to run the camera off a 12vdc adapter instead of Poe.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The building mount isnt horrible. There is a bit of a trap zone thats in your favor. however if they depart from the hard right and turn right, they might slip by. It might be cheaper/less headache,,, to install 2 z12's right there. and fuck the pole.

Last edited:

digiblur

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice video from what I've watched so far, good work catching the jerk in the Benz blowing the STOP sign, I caught that before you even highlighted it in your video. I'll watch the rest later when I gots more time. I like the way you can "out" people online :D
Thanks I was really impressed with the camera after setting it up on the bench. I was like there's no way this thing is going to catch plates at night unless they are doing 5mph or less if I am lucky. After toying with the settings it was jaw dropping, this crap works. Then when I saw some blowing by at 50+ and it working...holy! Amazing stuff. Then I talked with a Discord friend about it and he started making Plateminder to feed right into MQTT with JPGs and storage so we could do automations off of it without any fees, it just got 10 times better. I'm already thinking of a second one for install if not a third. Curious to see how it will do from a higher angle at 130ft or so and the angle might be a bit different though.

Sad thing is that kid stopped for the car blowing the stop signs.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Higher shouldn't be a problem.

Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my Z12E that is on the 2nd story soffit, My angle is about 40 degrees vertical, 50 degrees horizontal. Camera is 35 feet above street at this location. The longer the distance, the higher the angle we can get away with because the distance starts to "flatten" the angle. I couldn't do this angle at 50 feet, but 175 and it works.

1642810698566.png

digiblur

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E stock using up fast last week than we expected, have some stocks on the way to US amazon warehouse. Should be there next week, thanks for your attention!
Awesome news! As I have had a few messages telling me the links to them were showing unavailable.

JoshM

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Higher shouldn't be a problem.

Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my Z12E that is on the 2nd story soffit, My angle is about 40 degrees vertical, 50 degrees horizontal. Camera is 35 feet above street at this location. The longer the distance, the higher the angle we can get away with because the distance starts to "flatten" the angle. I couldn't do this angle at 50 feet, but 175 and it works.

1642810698566.png
This is a great real-world example of what this camera can do. I'm convinced this is the one I will go with. Also, because the shot is 175ft in total darkness, I have added confidence that it will perform even better for me because of the ambient light on the lot. I have one question though. What hfov are you running at that distance? I'd like to know the degrees or mm that your using so I can determine what width I can confidently capture plates in at that distance. Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is running at step 1138 out of 1202, or roughly 95% of the available zoom capacity. Many here have reported troubles with soft focus above 90%, but I was able to squeeze a little more out of it.

JoshM

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is running at step 1138 out of 1202, or roughly 95% of the available zoom capacity. Many here have reported troubles with soft focus above 90%, but I was able to squeeze a little more out of it.
Any idea what the angle of view or what mm setting you are using?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That would be around 60-61mm of the total 64mm capability.