Deepstack suddenly creating large amounts of temp files? Filled SSD

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been using Deepstack for a good few years now with no issue other than it keeps detecting cats as people

Yesterday morning I woke up and found that clips had stopped recording, and when I logged into the BI machine I noticed I had zero space left. Ran WizTree and found it was the temp directory for Deepstack at

C:\Users\<my BI user>\AppData\Local\Temp\DeepStack

So I deleted the 150GB+ in there and restarted. Today its already up to 7GB used in 24 hours

Does anyone else see this? Is it supposed to clear itself out?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are threads here of that happening. Did you update BI in the last month or so?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just checked and mine is still fine, but I am running a version before the CodeProject switch. Weird that yours would start doing it now.

But you are on a version after it switched to Code Project (5.5.8), so maybe it is picking something up. Many people still running Deepstack have experienced issues trying to run latest BI updates as it is breaking things for Deepstack in favor of CodeProject support.

Yeah the CodeProject switch day will come for me too LOL. Once ALPR is added I will probably make the switch.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I guess in that case I'll leave BI on the current version and not touch it either

Oh man, LPR support would be great. I assume thats then all local too? Right now I'm not really a fan of relying on the internet for LPR. I could also do without OpenALPR using all the CPU in a VM

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, it is best for folks running Deepstack to not update BI until they are ready to make the CodeProject jump in the event Deepstack functionality is lost.

Yes the LPR is all local with the upcoming update. It won't ID state like OpenALPR does, but it can read the plate and put it in the BI log.

As of right now, the 3rd party add-ons folks have made here for OpenALPR (OpenALPR Webhook Processor for IP Cameras and OpenALPR Tool - Save and Query CSV Exports) will not support the CodeProject ALPR, so if you are using either of those, you will probably want to continue with OpenALPR until someone makes the changes (if they decide to).

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah it would be a shame to lose them, I'll probably run in tandem for a little while

Rekor Scout is current $16/mo and I only assume it will increase at some point. While it would be a shame losing those 3rd party tools, I'm not sure how much more I can pay per month for LPR

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep I am in the same boat.

I guess it will depend on the creators of those two platforms either getting tired of the OpenALPR fee and if they are running BI. If they are not running BI, no incentive for them to change it LOL.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Just added a line to my daily cleanup script to fix the deepstack temp files, if anyone else needs a temporary solution

1672931787425.png