Dell Outlet Sale 45% Off - Question Regarding PC Specs for BI

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok… and how large a hard drive in it?
Doesn't matter, you wont want to record on a used hard drive. i'd bag the spinner that it ships with, and get a Seagate Skyhawk or a WD Purple surveillance drive. like as many Terabytes as you can.....maybe 2- 8Terabyte drives eventually....you might get away with dual 4 Terabytes at home. my Condo has motion, going 24/7 somewhere, and i can save about 14-16 days of data. with an 8 and 5 Terabyte drives. When I let it record beyond 20 days it has to deal with too many files and the guys say it can get buggy beyond 500,000 files to keep track of.

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok that one is fine. I was looking at the other one with 2 500 GB spinners. 2 x 500 Gigabyte drives wont store much data. thats why id remove them if I bought that particular system
but yes thats a good one.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Now once you get that machine in your hands, don't do what I did, and install Blue Iris right away. The running configuration of a Factory loaded HP system has mega amounts of Bloat ware installed from the factory. It takes up precious CPU cycles and may even be " Phoning Home"
Please do a Clean install of the operating system from Microsofts Windows Media creation tool....with a USB stick. you wont have to re enter the product keys. ( i did not need to )

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Congratulations to the OP for finding the machine for his needs thanks to this forum!

@Flintstone61 you recommended the WD Purple drives... I believe the older iteration of those spin at 5400 rpm or so... While BI recommends minimum 7200 rpm drives as a minimum. What's been your experience with the Purples if they're the older, slower kind? Thanks!

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think the WD purple drives come in 7200 rpm until they get up to 10 Terabytes . My machine was writing all 15 camera's to a single 8 TB WD purple 5400 RPM drive. and seems to do fine. For fun I added a refurbished 5 TB WD EZRZ to split the camera load. it's also a 5400 rpm drive. Ultimately i'd like to add another 8TB Purple drive.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think the WD purple drives come in 7200 rpm until they get up to 10 Terabytes . My machine was writing all 15 camera's to a single 8 TB WD purple 5400 RPM drive. and seems to do fine. For fun I added a refurbished 5 TB WD EZRZ to split the camera load. it's also a 5400 rpm drive. Ultimately i'd like to add another 8TB Purple drive.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Yeah... I'm itching to pull the trigger on a 5400 Purple too... So much affordable than the new ones. The Sky Hawk, Seagate nightmares keep me away! :D

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
These too for $171 (48% off with code 5050FLASH7040)