Dense persons guide to the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z

Hirize

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hirize, thanks for the laymans guide. Sometimes we just want the meat and potatoes of how something works when we come to a forum of chefs!

Question:

I just really need one good camera covering my driveway (2 car driveway about 50 feet from street). Camera will be between garage doors, POE'd to switch connected to second wifi router used as a bridge as it would be in the garage versus running a Ethernet cable to my living room but suggestions are welcomed on this setup.

So, is the IPC-HDW5231R-Z a little overkill for my needs or just right?
I don't see any problem with how you will connect it. I think it only matters that you have an IP address for it and then it can be found on your network.

As far as the camera. I love mine and they seem to work great. Great picture day or night but at night between the garages it may not give you great 180 deg view. I would get the same camera again and the only reason to change for me is if I wanted to go with a camera I could remotely control and move but they are much larger. This camera is about as small and unobtrusive as you can get.

Cheers, Pete

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hirize, thanks for the laymans guide. Sometimes we just want the meat and potatoes of how something works when we come to a forum of chefs!

Question:

I just really need one good camera covering my driveway (2 car driveway about 50 feet from street). Camera will be between garage doors, POE'd to switch connected to second wifi router used as a bridge as it would be in the garage versus running a Ethernet cable to my living room but suggestions are welcomed on this setup.

So, is the IPC-HDW5231R-Z a little overkill for my needs or just right?
Almost always requires two cams to properly cover a driveway, mounted on the outside edges of the drive.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said.

Same incident from two cameras, two cars in drive.

(switch youtube player to 1080p)

Comes from your left, enters my drive at 0:49

elpanson

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks bigredfish, understandingly makes all the difference now.

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^ and here I was thinking I was crazy wanting 2 crossing cameras for my driveway. Thanks for the confirmation I headed down the right path. In addition I have one zoomed in along the house covering a very tight path across the garage doors and where my trash is and packages from UPS get dropped. Already caught some weird dude walking down the street that decided to wander up my driveway and use my trashcan for his bag.

arlobillz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I connected my first cam successfully with the dahau software on 192.168.1.108
Trying to connect my second cam methinks its the same ip so I will change the ip of the first cam to something differant (192.168.1.9) in the screen settings for the first cam.
Now I then turned off the first cam and connected the 2nd cam, puts 191.168.1.108 in the browser. Nothing the page times out.
So goes back to the first cam, now 192.168.1.9 and this also will not connect.
Help

sorted, switch was disconnected, poor plug connection only slight movement disconnects BV-TECH 4 Port

Last edited: