Detached garage

Rudyjr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I thought I was all prepared to pull the trigger on an 8 channel POE Nvr and cameras. Then the confusion set in about camera placement. Two of the locations that would give the best views on the back and side of my house would be locations on my detached garage. I also think it would be nice down the road to have a camera located inside of the garage. I can run another conduit from the house to the garage for three cat5 cables but it involves going around some areas in the yard. I have read other ways to accomplish this installation without the cable runs but wonder if I would be better off with a non poe Nvr and Poe switches to accomplish my installation. I am now looking at 3 cameras from the detached garage and 3 cameras on the house. Any guidance on this would be appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Rudyjr If you have power in the garage simply run one cable over and use a 45 dollar poe switch (if you are going to bury conduit, may as well run 3 or at least a second spare.)..aside from possible cost savings there is no benefit to using integrated poe..there are lots of downsides 1) noise 2) having run homrun the cable back to the nvr 3) failure means replacing the nvr or getting a switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rudyjr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman, thats kind of what I have gathered by reading through the different threads. My biggest concern was being able to get everything to work together properly. I have some computer experience but no networking experience. The other downside for me is the fact that in the last couple of years I have switched over to an iMac for my personal computer. I still have my older Dell Windows based machine mothballed in the basement.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you can bury conduit, do it.. if you dont have to replace any concrete its pretty cheap and depending on your soil conditions could be alot easier than you think... or it could be a nightmare.. You dont need to go below really deep, there is no danger to anyone if they cut into it on accident so just go deep enough you could drive something heavy over it without a problem.. 6-8in. I am lucky, my soil is 80% sand and I can dig a 100' trench in no time.. but if you have heavy clay/rock you might need to rent some equipment or pay someone.

leave room for expansion, maby one day you want to hook up cable/sat tv in the garage for a man-cave or an access point so you can reference the internet while working on things and have since poured concrete on top.. my dad made that mistake, just buried a cable line to his garage and then poured sidewalks all around, no conduit... now once that cable fails or gets damaged his garage wont have cable tv anymore and I cant easily add wifi out there.

When hooking up to an external building I suggest you add a surge/lightning protector tied to a grounding rod at your main property's ingress point, if your powering from PoE in the remote building I also suggest you ensure the remote building is grounded correctly.. you dont want your ethernet run becoming your garages ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dogpottery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am using Logitech Powerline 200's and Netgear PoE injectors to run my cameras. No need to pull cable anywhere.

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Rudyjr If you have power in the garage simply run one cable over and use a 45 dollar poe switch (if you are going to bury conduit, may as well run 3 or at least a second spare.)..aside from possible cost savings there is no benefit to using integrated poe..there are lots of downsides 1) noise 2) having run homrun the cable back to the nvr 3) failure means replacing the nvr or getting a switch.
I may not be understanding this correctly. Are you saying one cat5/5e/6 cable can carry signals from multiple cameras? I have been trying to figure out how to run another camera to my front porch without opening multiple locations in my walls. I currently have one cat5e along with a RG6 coax running to my front porch. Currently I have 4 Hikvison POE cameras that home run back to my Hikvison NVR DS-7608-SE/8P. I always assumed each camera needed its own cable back to the NVR.

All I need is a POE switch?

If true please let me know. I will do my best to search the forum, but sometimes finding the right search phrase can be challenging in order to get the right result.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I may not be understanding this correctly. Are you saying one cat5/5e/6 cable can carry signals from multiple cameras? I have been trying to figure out how to run another camera to my front porch without opening multiple locations in my walls. I currently have one cat5e along with a RG6 coax running to my front porch. Currently I have 4 Hikvison POE cameras that home run back to my Hikvison NVR DS-7608-SE/8P. I always assumed each camera needed its own cable back to the NVR.

All I need is a POE switch?

If true please let me know. I will do my best to search the forum, but sometimes finding the right search phrase can be challenging in order to get the right result.
Thats exactly correct...cameras are like any other network device..you dont need to homerun to the NVR, that is one of the biggest advantages of IP cams. So you can run a single cable and then attach a switch at the end and power multiple cams.
The problem in your case is where are you going to place the switch?
Note, when you use this method, you will have to manually enter the cameras IP address into the NVR...

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman. Thanks for the reply.
Let me see if I understand:
Starting at NVR: NVR via cat5e to remote location (front porch). POE switch at front porch. Plug 2 or more cameras into switch. At NVR manually enter each camera's IP address.

My NVR is POE, Do I need to add a filter of some kind to block the power?

Switch at porch likely a problem as AC and locating switch is problematic.

But this setup could work to my detached garage, like the OP's situation. (But I have 2 buried conduits so multiple runs to garage is no problem). :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@nowandthen Yes or you dont have to even go back to the NVR...if you have any network connection like the router or switch you can plug in there, which may be much easier than running back to the nvr..
POE will not be passed if you connect to a non poe device...it will be fine.
They do make switches that can be powered by poe and split the poe between two devices..http://www.cyberdata.net/products/retail/networking/2portgigabitswitch/index.html
You are probably better off simply paying a low voltage cable runner to run an ethernet cable in the wall for you...neater and cleaner.

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks again Fenderman. I'm a pretty handy person. I agree better to run a cable.

3dogpottery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ou don't have to run eithernet, only power if you use a HomePlug Eithernet adapter. This is essentially eithernet over powerline.
It works very well on my Dahua cameras. I personally use a Logitech HD Powerline 200a. You can get a starter kit for $35 on Amazon.
With the starter kit, you get two adapters. One plugs into your router. The other one is used on any device that needs eithernet.
At your remote camera, you would plug the HomePlug adapter into the electrical outlet, along with a PoE. The HomePlug connects to the PoE,
and the PoE plugs into the camera.