Determining 4K vs 5MP and camera brand

GFB

n3wb
Reaction score
So I've been reading a ton and learning from all the experts out here, and have a rough idea and some good measurements on what I need to set up. First - I have a spare PC that can run Blue Iris (and a handful of hard drives 2TB or bigger) - so I figured that would be a better direction than an NVR. But when it comes to cameras, I understand the technology, but am in a bit of analysis paralysis when it comes to nailing down what I may need.

My house is on a pretty standard lot for where we are. 80'x120'. The front corner of the garage is 35' from the bottom of the driveway, the front door is around the corner of the 3-car garage and set back another 20'. My plan was a camera on the corner of the garage, and one near/above the main entry. Then probably one for the side garage door, and one for the back of the house. That's my starter plan...can always add later but no need to overkill things.

Dahua seems to be a big favorite around here, I've been reading up on Hikvision as well as Reolink (no ONVIF for 4K), Amcrest, and a few others. For some reason I would prefer black cameras as I feel they would blend better - but my choices appear limited there. Past that, if I go Dahua everyone references Andy here on the forums...which is fine. Just need some general thoughts/opinions on whether I am on the right track with my thinking.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have the recording part of the project decided upon. BI is a great piece of software and I have been using it for over two years now.

It is good that you are considering a plan and asking for comments. I would advise you to not go and buy a bunch of cams and install them right away. Most folks will say to buy one good varifocal cam (like the Dahua 5442 series) and set it up on a test rig as described in the Cliff Notes. Use that to critique your plan. See what the views look like from the locations you are thinking about. This can also help you decide on the specific cam for each location. It is important to understand what you want from each location/view and buy the appropriate cam for that. Fit-for-purpose cams are really the way to go.

As you begin your cam journey, you will gain experience and knowledge which will most probably cause you to change your plan. It did to me and countless others. The cam plan is ever evolving. New ideas will present themselves as you progress.

I have 18 cams spread out over 10 models, all Dahua purchased from Andy. I have another five to install once the temps get lower here in Texas. I am very happy with the service Andy provides to the members here.

PS: Stay far away from Reolink.

PPS: Read the WIKI and Cliff Notes. Don't chase MP, look for large sensor size. The current top of the heap is the Dahua 5442 series which is a 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor.

GFB

n3wb
Reaction score
Appreciate the reply...I definitely started with the Cliff notes, then the Wiki, and then the Blue Iris page (buy used, etc etc). I had ruled out Reolink as soon as I read their latest models were not ONVIF. And I am just north of you...it's too hot to be in the attic running cable right now, so planning ahead for October!

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua seems to be a big favorite around here, I've been reading up on Hikvision as well as Reolink (no ONVIF for 4K), Amcrest, and a few others.
I think Hikvision would probably be as popular as Dahua here if there was a vendor that made buying the bulk of their line lineup at OEM prices as easy as Andy does with Dahua. Both Andy the ipcamtalk.com store have a few OEM Hik models, but the last time I checked there was only one OEM Hik model that used the great 4MP 1/1.8” image sensor. Dahua has a bunch.

In general, Dahua/Hikvision seem to get the best low-light image sensors first. Before the current 4MP 1/1.8” image sensor there was the 2MP 1/2.8” image sensor (came out in 2016) and I’m not sure if that’s sensor has filtered down to the consumer brands (Amcrest, Lorex, Reolink, Ring, Arlo, Nest) yet.

Last edited: