Deterring intruders...

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all, after discussing the pros and cons of "smart cameras" such as the Nest Cam IQ and Ring Stick Up Cam with friends recently, I had a thought I wanted to get advice on from this forum. I'm sure people will question their performance compared to the cameras often discussed on here but what does seem a genuine benefit is the functionality they provide for you to trigger a siren and/or use full duplex audio to speak through an integrated loudspeaker on the device and deter an intruder as you're watching them.

It's one thing capturing someone on camera and even being notified of it, but unless you can give the intruder a reason to leave, like a siren or ability to speak to them, the solution feels incomplete or even ineffective.

After much reading and research on here I've been convinced the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE are the cameras to go for, although I haven't bought them yet, but it looks like they don't have full duplex audio or a siren (pls correct me if I'm wrong!).

So what are people doing on this front genreally? And what can be done with the Dahuas?

TIA!

lifeatredline

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I get an alert and it's from a person on my property I quickly determine via watching on camera if they are just passing through, or are a gas, electric, etc employee and if I decide its nefarious I immediately call 911. I don't want them to leave or alert them in any way that I am onto them. I want them to stick around till law enforcement arrives so they can be properly questioned and apprehended if they fail scrutiny or are otherwise wanted. This practice stopped a serial burglar about a month ago because I simply observed him while waiting for law enforcement, though I was "ready" and waiting if he had decided to break into my house in any way.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When I get an alert and it's from a person on my property I quickly determine via watching on camera if they are just passing through, or are a gas, electric, etc employee and if I decide its nefarious I immediately call 911. I don't want them to leave or alert them in any way that I am onto them. I want them to stick around till law enforcement arrives so they can be properly questioned and apprehended if they fail scrutiny or are otherwise wanted. This practice stopped a serial burglar about a month ago because I simply observed him while waiting for law enforcement, though I was "ready" and waiting if he had decided to break into my house in any way.
I'm with you on this, but instead of calling LEO I want to sneak back home capture them, dump them in a 12ft hole and torture them slowly :angry:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all, after discussing the pros and cons of "smart cameras" such as the Nest Cam IQ and Ring Stick Up Cam with friends recently, I had a thought I wanted to get advice on from this forum. I'm sure people will question their performance compared to the cameras often discussed on here but what does seem a genuine benefit is the functionality they provide for you to trigger a siren and/or use full duplex audio to speak through an integrated loudspeaker on the device and deter an intruder as you're watching them.

It's one thing capturing someone on camera and even being notified of it, but unless you can give the intruder a reason to leave, like a siren or ability to speak to them, the solution feels incomplete or even ineffective.

After much reading and research on here I've been convinced the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE are the cameras to go for, although I haven't bought them yet, but it looks like they don't have full duplex audio or a siren (pls correct me if I'm wrong!).

So what are people doing on this front genreally? And what can be done with the Dahuas?

TIA!
The dahua 1831-pir has two way audio and siren. Its half duplex. Image quality is not as good as the others in low light.
See thread on it.

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The dahua 1831-pir has two way audio and siren. Its half duplex. Image quality is not as good as the others in low light.
See thread on it.
OK so that's an option. I've read through the review thread and as you say, it seems low light image quality not as good as the 5231. But given the 5231 is considered to have outstanding low light image, is the 1831 excellent, good, OK or actually poor? It's hard to figure out but if image quality is still good and I'm getting the siren and audio, albeit half duplex, then it's worth considering. If image quality just isn't good then I'd rather not.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK so that's an option. I've read through the review thread and as you say, it seems low light image quality not as good as the 5231. But given the 5231 is considered to have outstanding low light image, is the 1831 excellent, good, OK or actually poor? It's hard to figure out but if image quality is still good and I'm getting the siren and audio, albeit half duplex, then it's worth considering. If image quality just isn't good then I'd rather not.
See threads..it's better than nest iq

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK thanks, more reading to do. I'm guessing on your opinion that's the best camera currently with a siren and/or half duplex audio?
Yes unless you want to attach a speaker to another cam.

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Study here: Wiki
Thanks. I've read through some of those links already in my initial research on the forum - so useful when building knowledge. Will read through others too - I don't see anything specifically about my original question though so I'm guessing you're just pointing out as useful reading?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if I decide its nefarious I immediately call 911
If you aren't at home and are in a different city or county, your 911 call may not go to the right police department. In theory they should be able to direct the info to the right place, but having the non-emergency number for your local pd programmed into your phone is a good idea.

lifeatredline

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you aren't at home and are in a different city or county, your 911 call may not go to the right police department. In theory they should be able to direct the info to the right place, but having the non-emergency number for your local pd programmed into your phone is a good idea.
Your exactly right. I have it saved in my phone.