Devices and their locations?

flaudia402

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm running network cabling throughout the attic and home right now to bedrooms and the office, as well as network cabling to the associated areas for each of the exterior cameras. Everything was going to terminate in a wardrobe closet with a patch panel.

Option 1:

1) Stick with a basic NVR. This will be inexpensive since it has POE incorporated into it. I run the cameras directly from the patch panel into the back of the NVR.

2) Run the cameras directly from the attic into the back of the NVR. Not as neat.

Option 2:

For those of you with Blue Iris and dedicated PC's for running multiple cameras - how are you terminating the network wires from each camera? I'm assuming you're not keeping your PC's in a dedicated mechanical closet. Can you elaborate on your setup?

Thanks!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The BI PC is dedicated to BI. This is what is recommend for BI. It is in a an air condition closet. Over 1/2 my cameras are inside, in the public areas of the house. I use multiple separate POE switches, so all the wire does not go to the closet, shorter wiring runs. . I use two separate networks, one for the cameras and one for everything else.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I have every room in my house wired with Cat5e and a jack in the wall. Then I have an in-wall network panel in our laundry room where all the cables terminate for each room. Camera wires are run through my attic space and down the inside of the wall where the in-wall network panel is located so they can also be terminated. The switch and router is installed in the same panel. In our bedroom is where I house the Proxmox host which runs BI in a VM.

flaudia402

n3wb
Reaction score
The BI PC is dedicated to BI. This is what is recommend for BI. It is in a an air condition closet. Over 1/2 my cameras are inside, in the public areas of the house. I use multiple separate POE switches, so all the wire does not go to the closet, shorter wiring runs. . I use two separate networks, one for the cameras and one for everything else.
Do you mean multiple POE switches - for example:

Garage has a data port (is run back to the patch panel in the closet) - using this data port in the garage, you run a network cable to the additional POE Network Switch in the garage. Now, you terminate say all the cameras that are centered around the garage to that POE Switch in the garage?

flaudia402

n3wb
Reaction score
I have every room in my house wired with Cat5e and a jack in the wall. Then I have an in-wall network panel in our laundry room where all the cables terminate for each room. Camera wires are run through my attic space and down the inside of the wall where the in-wall network panel is located so they can also be terminated. The switch and router is installed in the same panel. In our bedroom is where I house the Proxmox host which runs BI in a VM.
I followed you up to the point where you mentioned Proxmox host and blue iris in a VM? What is VM and Proxmox?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I followed you up to the point where you mentioned Proxmox host and blue iris in a VM? What is VM and Proxmox?
I run BI virtualized. Proxmox is the hypervisor.

Its not a typical setup for BI but works just as good. Then I can run other VM (virtual machines) for other needs on the same host.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The POE switches are spread out around the house. One is monted on the top of the kitchen cabinet, Another is in the entry way hall closet, Another in the garage. May be 4 or 5 cameras into a switch. The switch feeds a non-POE switch, which feed the BI PC. Tree branches to a trunk.

For me it was easier to wire this way, I have a one story house, but it is 25 years old, but it has high ceiling and peaked roof ceilings. To by pass the peaked roof need to take the wires into the outside soffet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am kind of set up like @SouthernYankee . Almost every room in the house has two Cat5e outlets, some have three. They all terminate in a bedroom closet on the second floor. I call this the IT Closet. That is also where the modem/router from my ISP is located. I set up a small rack and have three switches and two patch panels in it. My cams are on their own subnet isolated from the rest of my LAN and the internet. One of the switches in that rack is for the LAN that connects to the internet, other PCs, and TVs. The other two are POE switches specifically for the cams and the BI PC. All room drops and cam drops terminate in the patch panels.
DSC_4929.JPG

I also have a POE switch in the garage that powers the two cams in the garage. The uplink port goes to the rack in the IT closet. I have another POE switch in my office that powers three cams at the front door. The uplink port goes to the rack in the IT Closet. One of the POE switches in the IT Closet is a 16 port switch with 8 ports being POE. So there are 8 ports that are not POE. So the three other POE switches go to the non-POE ports in that switch and the BI PC is connected to one other non-POE port.

The BI PC is on a desk in the game room and that PC has two NICs. One goes to the cam subnet as discussed above, while the other is connected to the main LAN via the non POE switch in the IT Closet.

My desktop PC in my office is also a dual NIC PC. This allows me to access all of the cams using their web GUI from my office PC without having to go upstairs to the BI server or remote logging in to that PC.

Hope this helps.

BenDibble

n3wb
Reaction score
I like using patch panels. Easier to organize and adjust hardware as needed.
How I have my system set up, I have two remote POE switches: one in the garage and one in the attic.
These are then connected to my switch via fiber cables.
My original plan was to utilize a POE NVR but my set up and cable routing did not really allow for this. Especially since I was originally planning on running the garage Ethernet in the same conduit as the power. That’s when I decided to switch to the fiber.
I had a non-POE switch with sfp ports already, so I was able to purchase sfp fiber connectors. All of my other home runs are terminated into the panel and then to the various switches and devices.

Attachments