Did I blow it? i5-8500T --note the "T"

ipmania

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I pulled the trigger too fast and bought a used i5-8500T tiny PC for Blue Iris.

Note the "T" in the processor spec. I believe it's a laptop processor...

How will this laptop processor be able to handle Blue Iris? The intention is to have the PC run perhaps 3 or 4 Dahua 5442-style cameras and some lesser ones sprinkled for overview.

Should I spring for a full desktop processor?

The little thing sure is cute. It's so small! A possible bonus is that I could hide it away anywhere.

But the downside to its small size is that I won't ever be able to put in a GPU card should I need it for AI (I'm a noob but I've read that AI is a thing and it could be improved with a GPU card).

Also, due to its small size, a 3.5 inch hard drive won't fit in it. I'd have to cut a hole in the case, run a SATA extension cable through it and bolt such a hard drive outside the case. It won't be pretty.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All you can do is try it.
The biggest issue may be it overheating the CPU, and throttling the cpu's speed, which may cause issues.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah you may be in trouble. Time will tell. Give it a try and see.

Regarding AI, many have been just fine with the CPU version or the AI from the cameras.

Further....

To many here, BI motion is more than adequate for what they do.

To many here, camera AI is more than adequate for what they do.

To many here, using the BI AI adds additional functionality that the above alone can not do. Many are just fine with the CPU version.

If all you care about is human and vehicle detection, the 5442 AI is more than adequate.