Did I just make a mistake? - IPC-HFW81230E-ZE

John V

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Honestly I don't remember what thread I was reading but I ended purchasing a IPC-HFW81230E-ZE to capture cares entering my driveway.

I was hoping to be able to grab the license plate with this unit.

Let me know what you think

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly I don't remember what thread I was reading but I ended purchasing a IPC-HFW81230E-ZE to capture cares entering my driveway.

I was hoping to be able to grab the license plate with this unit.

Let me know what you think
well, does it capture plates after setting it up properly to capture plates? You certainly spent way more than you had to.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you read anything about capturing license plates? There' a whole thread on it and it's an art. A camera used for LPR is rarely useful for anything else at night. LPR

John V

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
well, does it capture plates after setting it up properly to capture plates? You certainly spent way more than you had to.
I did more poking around today and was refereed to a few that were cheaper and they looked more impressive.

Maybe I misunderstood what I had read but I was under the impression this camera was good up-to 80ft.

I orginally was at 50ft but the angle wasn't awesome,...I'm at 75ft now, I mocked it up and it honestly looks like a stretch, so I didn't even mount it.

So to answer your question I didn't spend the time tweaking all the settings because it looked like a wasted effort.

I was referred to this unit - 5 MP License Plate Recognition IP Camera 5-50mm Motorized Lens 84 IR LEDs | eBay

I'm going to poke around a little more, good news is I finally got my OpenALPR working - I have no idea why it wasn't working before but it works now and connect temporally to another camera.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

John V

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you read anything about capturing license plates? There' a whole thread on it and it's an art. A camera used for LPR is rarely useful for anything else at night. LPR
I did this originally in January, thought I did. I remember liking a specs to of another cam and the unit I bought was the newer part number.

I'm going to check it out again thx

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did more poking around today and was refereed to a few that were cheaper and they looked more impressive.

Maybe I misunderstood what I had read but I was under the impression this camera was good up-to 80ft.

I orginally was at 50ft but the angle wasn't awesome,...I'm at 75ft now, I mocked it up and it honestly looks like a stretch, so I didn't even mount it.

So to answer your question I didn't spend the time tweaking all the settings because it looked like a wasted effort.

I was referred to this unit - 5 MP License Plate Recognition IP Camera 5-50mm Motorized Lens 84 IR LEDs | eBay

I'm going to poke around a little more, good news is I finally got my OpenALPR working - I have no idea why it wasn't working before but it works now and connect temporally to another camera.
You are overpaying for crap. Whoever refered you to that junk is clueless. I suggest you start reading the LPR section of this forum. Garbage 1/3 sensor..that is a 75 dollar camera.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.