Dielectric grease and silicone tape

PointLookout247

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you put alot of dielectric grease inside the female rj45 connector? I hear it's good for protecting from corrosion but want to make sure not to put too much it effects the connection. Also, before you add the waterproof caps, do you use a little silicone tape, then add the caps, then more silicone tape? I've never done anything like this before, I want to do it right first time. Thanks.

PointLookout247

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To add; do you also use a boot on the male rj45 connector or leave it off?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't use dielectric grease. Maybe it would be a good idea in a high-humidity environment though if corrosion is a common problem?

Most cameras come with a plastic cap and rubber gaskets which can only be used if you are attaching the RJ45 end yourself. I don't trust these 100%, especially if someone else put it together, so I will typically wrap a tight layer of electrical tape around the seams. Coax Seal is of course a lot better than electrical tape for keeping moisture out, but I normally only use it if I'm connecting a camera without a manufacturer-supplied rubber gasket and cap. And if the connection is in a weatherproof box with no way for water to run down the cable and get inside, then I wouldn't bother with any of that.

Boots on the male RJ45 connectors don't really matter either, since these won't be something people are regularly unplugging or pulling on. If you have them, then sure, why not, use them, as long as they fit inside the cap.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Dielectric grease, put it in enough that it squeezes some out when you put in the male connector.
It won't affect the connection.
Put it in the boot, then wrap the waterproof connector with silicone tape.

PointLookout247

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, I tried to fit the boot in yesterday as a test, and couldn't fit the weatherproof cap over it, so will probably use the silicone tape instead on the inside and outside. Thanks.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Really just add the dielectric grease and throw the boot in the garbage. All its going to do is keep moisture in. I had an installer that used to wrap his connections with black electrical tape. For some reason, every time we would do a repair on one of his installs, there would be condensation inside the tape and not the outside. Just figure that the rj-45 jack is going to get wet at some point. Make it so the water and condensation can escape or evaporate.